Observer "Carolina" Article

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo…es/10872126.htm

The Observer had a guest article the other day about the relative meaning of “Carolina.” While generally uninteresting, one paragraph stuck out:

[b][The City of] Charlotte finds itself in a unique situation when it comes to this "Carolina" thing. North Carolina graduates outnumber graduates of any other school in our area, and the Tar Heels' success in athletics lends itself to a huge fan base.[/b]

:huh: Doesn’t UNCC have more graduates than any other school in the greater Charlotte area? Is this just a case of misunderstood semantics? In either case, it’s clear why this man is an anchor by trade rather than newpaper reporter; he either didn’t check his facts or didn’t state it clearly enough.

[i]Originally posted by Roasty[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 03:12 PM [b] :huh: Doesn't UNCC have more graduates than any other school in the greater Charlotte area? Is this just a case of misunderstood semantics? In either case, it's clear why this man is an anchor by trade rather than newpaper reporter; he either didn't check his facts or didn't state it clearly enough. [/b]
Just off hand, without any stats at all, I'd say UNC has us beat.

I would think so too, they’re too old. :stuck_out_tongue:

As I posted in another thread this morning, there are some 20,000 UNC Charlotte alumni living in Mecklenburg county and about 35,000 in the 13-county Charlotte (Southern Piedmont) area. Those counties include: Anson, Cabarrus, Catawba, Cleveland, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Richmond, Rowan, Stanly and Union.

49erAlumnus can give you some better and more specific numbers if you’re interested.

HP, my recollection is that we are number one and Chuck Howard is wrong in his assessment. BTW, seems like anyone can join the alumni association at Chapel Hill:

Can people who didn’t graduate from UNC join the GAA?

Anyway, interesting piece by NBC6’s Howard about “Carolina”. Once you cross over the state line at Carowinds on I-77, Carolina takes on a whole different meaning! :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 03:37 PM [b] [url=http://alumni.unc.edu/article.asp?SID=1844]Can people who didn't graduate from UNC join the GAA?[/url] [/b]
Damn, the Wal-mart chapter of the UNC Chapel Hill GAA must be enormous!

I checked with Persinger on it earlier…looking for the correction. He says there are approximately 23,400 UNC Chapel Hill alums in Charlotte according to the Alumni directory. That doesn’t include the suburbs. Also that our numbers are comparable. Nick???

Well then what propaganda had I been hearing these last few years? The university lays a claim to #1 alumni population in some geographic border or another. Maybe just the city of Charlotte?

I saw that comment in Chuck’s article as well. I can’t speak for Chapel Hill’s numbers, but here is how we stand:

The Charlotte metropolitan area is defined as a 15 county region. Our alumni by county in that regiona are as follows:

Mecklenburg 19,706
Cabarrus 3,363
Gaston 2,381
Iredell 1,672
Union 1,636
Rowan 1,298
Cleveland 860
Stanly 854
Catawba 817
Lincoln 766
York, SC 561
Anson 166
Richmond 152
Mongomery 97
Lancaster, SC 31

That equals 34,360 alumni in the Charlotte metro area. We have just under 70,000 total alumni.

For you Triad Niners:
Forsyth 1,379
Guilford 1,035
Davidson 500
total of 2,914

Triangle Niners:
Wake 1,359
Durham 335
Orange 220
total of 1,914

Chuck,

Can you write another article addressing Tar Heel fans using words like “we” and “us” to describe the team’s actons? As in “We sur did get beet by dem dar dookies”. Or, “Der ain’t nobody in da world better dan us.” It’s just an idea for your second article…

Have you not realized the Carolina pride thing. They will always claim supremacy in ever aspect of life. They are the fans who cut off the TV with a minute left when they are losing so they don’t have to admit that Carolina lost a game. And if at the office pool they catch crap about losing, there was always an excuse, “Felton was hurt” or “McCants had food poisoning”. So are you really that suprised that the Journalism school who produces the majority off every writer in the state would claim that??

Nice post SKEET SKEET, I agree 100%!

[b]For you Triad Niners: Forsyth 1,379 Guilford 1,035 Davidson 500 total of 2,914[/b]
Ummm, we don't include Davidson as part of the Triad. :blink:
[b]Can you write another article addressing Tar Heel fans using words like "we" and "us" to describe the team's actons? As in "We sur did get beet by dem dar dookies". Or, "Der ain't nobody in da world better dan us."[/b]
Those Wal-mart Tar Heel members are bad about that. In fact, that's pretty much a pet peeve of mine for fans of any team. I rarely (even here) refer to the team as we/us/our.

I had a lot of numbers for the team keeping stats back in the old days, but I never scored a point, grabbed a rebound, passed for an assist or stole the ball, therefore I can’t use the word “we.”

Also, it helps to have this philosophy because you never have to take credit, as in “We suck!” :lol:

My bad, I thought it was considered part of the triad. Oh well, what do I know about it? I’m just luch to be here… :rolleyes:

Isn’t there some stupid poop Tarheel announcer that says something to the effect of “No tarheel comeback has been denied, this one just ran out of time.”?

[i]Originally posted by 49erAlumnus[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 04:11 PM [b] That equals 34,360 alumni in the Charlotte metro area. We have just under 70,000 total alumni.

[/b]

In comparison, UNC Chapel Hill’s living alumni totalled 239,580 as of Oct. 27, 2004.

Screw this whole “Charlotte” thing. We need to just have “Carolina” on our jerseys in Niner green. We have just as much claim to it as anyone else.

In fact, let’s not change our school name to University of Charlotte; let’s change it to University of Carolina.

Davidson County is part of the triad. Lexington, Thomasville, NC.

Pork Chop, I believe you! HP, you owe me an apology!

I was joking Pork Chop, we don’t claim any part of Davidson. :smiley: Officially though, Burlington/Alamance County is part of the Triad SMSA.

HP=High Point, eh?

[i]Originally posted by Roasty[/i]@Feb 11 2005, 04:28 PM [b] Screw this whole "Charlotte" thing. We need to just have "Carolina" on our jerseys in Niner green. We have just as much claim to it as anyone else.

In fact, let’s not change our school name to University of Charlotte; let’s change it to University of Carolina. [/b]

I agree, something I can’t believe is that the UNC System allows UNC-CH to have unc.edu as their website. That is just a load of crap. I was trying to find the website for the True UNC system and it took a short while…

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Feb 11 2005, 05:29 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Feb 11 2005, 05:29 PM)