Observer editorial

[QUOTE=NinerAlex;301406][B]Other past unsigned Observer Editorials:
[/B]“Communism: eh Not So Bad”
“Child Labor = Cheap Shirts”
“Gandhi: Troublemaker”
“Mussolini does make Buses Run on Schedule!”

• Put the latest with the rest[/QUOTE]
    Alex, could you provide the links/dates for those editorials?

[QUOTE=Chipper;301404]Why was the author’s name omitted from this story? Mike. We know you’re on our side. Don’t you have any say-so? Can’t you balance out this bias against us? Can you at least ask them why they write garbage like this without signing their name and don’t allow us to reply?[/QUOTE]

It’s an editorial, written by the editorial board, and they’re always unsigned. Couldn’t tell you on the comments thing, but I know they are only activated on some stories on charlotte.com, not all.

Metro, Op-Ed means the page “opposite” the editorial page, which is for a variety of opinions, mainly those that oppose the editorial board’s take.

There are lots of things worth doing, if they’re done the right way. And while I think football is among them, I don’t think the reliance on student fees is the right way.

If, as someone suggests, the fees would come down as donations increase, then increase them now to demonstrate community support of the idea and bring the fees down. Win for you, because it shows everyone, including your friends in Raleigh and Chapel Hill, that there’s broad support, and win for students who won’t have to pay those higher fees, or at least not as much higher.

[QUOTE=NinerAlex;301406][B]Other past unsigned Observer Editorials:
[/B]“Communism: eh Not So Bad”
“Child Labor = Cheap Shirts”
“Gandhi: Troublemaker”
“Mussolini does make Buses Run on Schedule!”

• Put the latest with the rest[/QUOTE]

Classic, but don’t forget such chestnuts as

“Why do the poor have to appear so poor?”
“Terrorism: whats the big deal?”

[QUOTE=run49er;301411]Alex, could you provide the links/dates for those editorials?[/QUOTE]

I think he was joking. I admit I laughed out loud.

[QUOTE=919R;301408]You also must have missed the part where SpangFri came to town in an effort to stop football too. Oh, thats right, they’re not REALLY Chapel Hill and Raleigh guys!!!wink,wink…[/QUOTE]
Since Spangler lives in Charlotte, he really didn’t have to come very far.

I wanted point out, that I just see the “$9.25 Million” figure and just ignore this stuff. Division I-AA is where we’d start, and we better be one hell of a squad if we are paying $6 million for football, seeing how as the division champs over the last 3 seasons only fork out $1.5-$2 million a year.

Lets get real, I want to win, I want to see a successful product, but I don’t expect much. I just want to see a product that is cared about, and taken seriously. Then when it’s wings get strong, we’ll make big finacial pushes. The $9.25 million is just absurd for now, and in the next decade.

I mean we are saying approx $6 million for football, according to indystar thats more than:
Southern Miss
New Mexico
Central and South Florida
UNLV
Colorado State
SDSU
ECU
Hawaii
Boise State
Akron
Toledo
Ball State
Wyoming

I know that student fees will need to go up, but we need to start getting some things straight here.

[B]The editorial didn't say don't do it.[/B] It said put more burden on someone other than students, by implication the business community and alumni.

It sure did,

He says right there it should end the “matter” or end the football team.

I wanted point out, that I just see the "$9.25 Million" figure and just ignore this stuff. Division I-AA is where we'd start, and we better be one hell of a squad if we are paying $6 million for football, seeing how as the division champs over the last 3 seasons only fork out $1.5-$2 million a year.

Lets get real, I want to win, I want to see a successful product, but I don’t expect much. I just want to see a product that is cared about, and taken seriously. Then when it’s wings get strong, we’ll make big finacial pushes. The $9.25 million is just absurd for now, and in the next decade.

I mean we are saying approx $6 million for football, according to indystar thats more than:
Southern Miss
New Mexico
Central and South Florida
UNLV
Colorado State
SDSU
ECU
Hawaii
Boise State
Akron
Toledo
Ball State
Wyoming

I know that student fees will need to go up, but we need to start getting some things straight here.

Watch out, I questioned this last week and I got hammered for somehow slighting Mac Everett. Nice to see someone think the same thing.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;301394]

If they were raising your property taxes, and you had no say in the matter, by $300 a year, would you sit so idly by? That’s what you’re planning to do to students, or more accurately students’ parents.

[/QUOTE]

The students were given a say in the matter and they voted to carry the burden, or for their parents to carry the burden. After that, future students have a choice when choosing where to go to college. If you want to enjoy intercollegiate athletics, you have to pay a certain fee. Everyone will know that up front. If you don’t want to pay an athletic fee, then maybe you should choose a community college that doesn’t charge such fees.

The students were given a say in the matter and they voted to carry the burden, or for their parents to carry the burden. After that, future students have a choice when choosing where to go to college. If you want to enjoy intercollegiate athletics, you have to pay a certain fee. Everyone will know that up front. If you don't want to pay an athletic fee, then maybe you should choose a community college that doesn't charge such fees.
GREAT point! The defense rests...

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;301425]The students were given a say in the matter and they voted to carry the burden, or for their parents to carry the burden. After that, future students have a choice when choosing where to go to college. If you want to enjoy intercollegiate athletics, you have to pay a certain fee. Everyone will know that up front. If you don’t want to pay an athletic fee, then maybe you should choose a community college that doesn’t charge such fees.[/QUOTE]

Excellent, exactly my point, why does everyone feel they have to speak for the students when they have already spoken?

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;301422]Watch out, I questioned this last week and I got hammered for somehow slighting Mac Everett. Nice to see someone think the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know guys. I haven’t looked into all of the numbers. Are you sure the two figures are covering the same bases? Wasn’t Macs covering cost for all staff, facilities, play and title IX? I’m not saying you guys are wrong, just wondering. Also, I’m sure Mac inflated the numbers some just to show worst case and hopefully forecast increase in costs… Can someone who has looked into this fill me in please?

“Economics of football” in the report cites $5,872,350 for football per year (at the DI level, which the report says is the goal as quickly as possible), plus $3,040,400 in program expansion, Title IX and other expenses related to and necessary for adding football.

That’s a little over $8.9 million a year.

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;301428]Excellent, exactly my point, why does everyone feel they have to speak for the students when they have already spoken?[/QUOTE]

:clap:

I don't know guys. I haven't looked into all of the numbers. Are you sure the two figures are covering the same bases? Wasn't Macs covering cost for all staff, facilities, play and title IX? I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just wondering. Also, I'm sure Mac inflated the numbers some just to show worst case and hopefully forecast increase in costs... Can someone who has looked into this fill me in please?

My point and I take it ID’s point is if at the 1-AA level App is forking out 1.5 mill to run their operation then it shouldn’t be too tough for us. Now, the first year or two I could see us getting up their in totals as we have to start our program, build facilities, scholarships, whatever, but for our last couple years of 1-AA if we are paying $6 million for the operation something just isn’t right.

After facilities are established this should be a pretty good formula:

$1.5 million (what App. plays to be a champion) + Title IX = $9 million?

I don’t think it should, but I’m not the money man.

"Economics of football" in the report cites $5,872,350 for football per year (at the DI level, which the report says is the goal as quickly as possible), plus $3,040,400 in program expansion, Title IX and other expenses related to and necessary for adding football.

That’s a little over $8.9 million a year.

But once the program is expanded and established after a few years I’d like to think their still isn’t that $3,040,400 being paid, and it should become significantly less.

Metro, Op-Ed means the page "opposite" the editorial page, which is for a variety of opinions, mainly those that oppose the editorial board's take. .

thats no so!
op-ed is short for opinions and editiorials, thats both pages

(and btw, I rarely see opposing views to the O :lmao:)
nice try though… Maureen Dowd, Ed Williams, Schulken, Kathleen, and Curtis usually are lockstep.

I do see the occasional Cal Thomas. (who is a dbag)

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;301428]Excellent, exactly my point, why does everyone feel they have to speak for the students when they have already spoken?[/QUOTE]

Most of them (about 71 percent) voted for up to $200 or less (with 21 percent saying zero) would be fine. The fee will be $300.

Since when do op-eds make a difference in the real world? This was obviously written by someone who has an anti-sports bias much like Spangler does. The author has a right to their opinion and we have seen in the past few weeks, many various degrees of opinion in the Observer.

I for one am happy to see this issue not losing steam, but gaining. The more this issue is discussed, the better it is for us on the pro-football side. We need to focus on the how skewed the funding numbers are and make good arguments for football. Calling someone an idiot is not going to get you anywhere.

If the article makes you made, write a letter to the editor that is well constructed and not a claim of conspiracy from a Raleigh/Communist threat!

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;301435]But once the program is expanded and established after a few years I’d like to think their still isn’t that $3,040,400 being paid, and it should become significantly less.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that $3,040,400 is annual, recurring expenses such as salaries for coaches, trainers, etc., facilities upkeep, supplies, etc.

It won’t go away and is related to the expansion of the athletics department as a whole.