Observer Niner/CUSA stories

Removing this post. Read the next one.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Oct 31 2004, 03:17 PM [b] ...If the Niners want it, someone important has to say it. [/b]
So are you telling me that all of our "negative" stories last year about certain players came at the request of the school?
[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER+Oct 31 2004, 03:23 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Over40NINER @ Oct 31 2004, 03:23 PM)

I have a very hard time believing Bobby or Judy would be opposed to a story like this. I guess you’re gonna also tell us they’re the ones who requested CUSA member Marquette’s run to the Final 4 be buried on page 16 while putting the other 3 schools on the front page 2 years ago…

Or that last year’s MISSING article on Senior Day when we were playing for a share of the CUSA regular season championship was also requested by Bobby & Judy.

With the exception of jcl, I can’t think of any NINER that would not want to see the story about the acc being SCARED.

That said, I am glad to see you have FINALLY started giving us the same coverage that other programs receive from their HOMETOWN newspapers.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger+Oct 31 2004, 06:35 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mike_Persinger @ Oct 31 2004, 06:35 AM)
Originally posted by Anborn@Oct 31 2004, 03:21 AM [b]

I for one am happy with the preseason coverage. It is now up to the team to back it up and show something. We have the players and the coach, I just hope the chemistry is there to put in a run for the league championship and a deep run in the tourney.

Thanks Mike. I am sure we will get the coverage we deserve if we put together a successful season.

I couldn’t careless what the Little O does. We know what we know and we have been getting national attention this summer and this fall.

Who cares about the Observer when national attention is given to us?

The reality of it is that the Observer doesn’t have the great journalists of old and that’s the TRUTH, bottomline.

It’s become VERY commercialized, and can double as a coupon book with all of the ads or a grammar test for a journalism class with all of the spelling mistakes and mistakes in general.

I don’t care who’s feathers this shakes because you can stop reading at the part that’s untrue…

As long as Charlotte takes care of business we will receive national attention and the O will be covering us in the manner that we deserve, and I won’t have the “don’t cover us now” attitude.

I mean I don’t particularly think the O has good writers save Sorensen, Fowler and Suhetka.

Just my two cents…

Sept 6, 2004, NinerReport.com:

“We try every year to play teams from the ACC, but everybody has to do what is best for our program,” said Lutz. “in their defense teams from the ACC already play a lot of teams in the state of NC.”

Bobby talked to Jason Jordan about it. He even talked about possibly playing Duke in the new arena. Terry Holland called out the ACC teams last week That was in the Raleigh paper. As someone else mentioned, seems like a story could be written about the Big Four, especially the State funded schools (UNC, NCSU) avoiding the other large UNC system schools. I know Mayor Pat would speak up.

I’ve enjoyed the solid preseason coverage. It’s too bad we’re in the 10th and final year of C-USA. Hopefully it will continue as we move to the A-10.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Oct 31 2004, 07:49 PM [b] Yadda, yadda, yadda.... Mike, you sound like a lawyer. This story/opinion column, whatever you choose to call it, will never be written. But not because it can't be journalistically sanctioned as a "story" or opinion. Because it COULD be, but The O chooses NOT to make it so, unlike all the other crap, non-stories/opinons you CHOOSE to print. You make a good point that Bobby nor Judy will say the acc is skeered to play us and I believe they won't say it because they don't want to ruin any future chances to play acc teams by pissing them off by saying the very thing you say they MUST say to start such a story. It's a Catch 22. The acc is scared to play us and you know it. ps: I'm sorry you couldn't get into law school. :( [/b]
I think 49er1 summed it up the best

Something else. Kentucky used to be SCEERED to play Louisville, but everyone knew it. The newspapers in Kentucky jumped all over those stories.

The 4 nc schools in the acc were of afraid of ECU in football for years. I know because I read about it in various newspapers.

I have a funny feeling that in both situations, the coaches & ADs from Louisville & ECU were not forced to make an official request for the articles to be written.

GO NINERS!!!

B)

I dont think the personal attacks against Mike are warranted. And, in fairness, I think those of us who wish to complain about this need to CC everyone in the 49er Athletic Department too. This argument is too one sided and too much of a witch hunt. But I do agree with 49er1’s opinion that the staff doesn’t want the negative PR such a move might create (“UNCC whining again”). I also don’t like it because it falls too close to defining ourselves by the ACC, which is what we accuse the Observer of doing. Why do we want to encoruage it? If you want to complain, make it broader and leave out the conference affiliations. Last time I checked, South Carolina wont play us either. “Major Carolinas teams scared to schedule Charlotte. Won’t play at Halton.” is probably the better and much more realistic headline.

Also, re: Kentucky & Louisville - as it has been here dozens of times in the past, it took an act of the state legislature to make these two play each other in hoops & football. The problem with that analogy is that UK & UL are (by far) the 2 biggest and most well known schools in Kentucky. That would be like the state legislature forcing NCSU & UNC-CH to play, which they would do in a heartbeat.

Two reasons why ACC schools will not play us anytime soon. 1.) Were not good enought but not bad enough either. The ACC schools, especially the first tier will always follow the same schedule, play one or two teams equal to your caliber to legitimize your ranking before conference play and play 7-8 games against cupcakes to boost your record. 2.) For all those thinking we are equal to their caliber you may have a point, but ACC schools will never truly agree with that because as we know they are snobbish. The fact of the matter is we’ve got to keep winning to get respect, its not going to be handed to us. BTW, the only reason that UNC agreed to play us in '98-'99 is the fact that we had lost our key player and we we’re playing at chapel hill so they figured to be a shoe-in, but as you know we still took them to overtime. So I guess UNC figured, uh-oh, this team is too hungry and a little too dangerous, let’s stick to vermont and NC A&T.

Couldn’t have put it better myself DownwithNBA.

If we go deep in the tournament a few years in a row and make ourselves consistent in the top 25 they’ll take notice.

We have to earn the games. They won’t play us now because we are hungry.

GO NINERS!

Mike,I have had my issues with the Observer in the past but I will admit this has been a nice improvement.

Anybody ever contemplate how much $$ the Observer spends just covering our games? It’s probably triple what they pay to cover ACC games. A road game b/w us and St. Louis costs a helluva lot more than Wake at State.

[b]Anybody ever contemplate how much $$ the Observer spends just covering our games? [/b]

No offense Bobblin, but that was just dumb. I don’t think you know how much Knight Ridder makes and the Charlotte Observer has $$ to burn. You can tell by all of the ads in their paper.

It’s like a coupon book. TRUST ME $$ is NEVER an issue at the O.

[i]Originally posted by 82NinerAlum[/i]@Nov 1 2004, 10:05 AM [b] It's like a coupon book. TRUST ME $$ is NEVER an issue at the O. [/b]
LOL. You don't understand the newspaper biz, 82. And that's what it is -- a business.

You’re saying what would hold you back form covering a Charlotte basketball game is the cost??

I understand it’s a business and know more about it than you think.

Want some real truth?

Knight Ridder Papers are notoriously known for playing it safe and not ruffling feathers of, shall we say, major players. And that my friend hurts the true essence of journalism.

That’s the #1 reason the Charlotte Observer goes lacking. The REAL journalists are no longer there. Go getters are not allowed to go get anymore at this paper. Just play it safe “major players” are happy and we make $$.

And TRUST me this is not confined to sports, it’s in nearly every spectrum of the Observer.

If this is taken as a personal attack I do apologize, but truth is truth and despite what may be replied to this or not replied it IS the truth. And 49er fans want to know why certain things go lacking.

Don’t use the cliche’ “this is a business” mumbo jumbo and insult intelligence.

I’m done on this one.

A couple of you tried to change the question to “why the acc won’t play us” from the original question “will the observer finally do the article stating why”. I think we ALL already knew the reasons they won’t play us.

In case I’m the target of the statement about “atttacking Mike”, I was not attacking him. I’ve expressed thanks for the increased coverage at least 5 or 6 times in the past 2 weeks (including this thread). I find it very interesting that expressing one’s personal opinion sometimes gets twisted into being a “bad guy” just because someone disagrees with that opinion.

NA, fyi the Kentucky/Louisville series ALMOST had to be resolved in the state legislature but an agreement was made before it went that far. That still had nothing to do with the fact that Kentucky’s refusal to play made headlines all over Kentucky.

The question was “if the Observer really wants to sell newspapers, why don’t they do a story on why acc schools refuse to play Charlotte?”. It’s that simple. It still has not been answered, but at least we are receiving better coverage this year.

B)

[b]No offense Bobblin, but that was just dumb. I don't think you know how much Knight Ridder makes and the Charlotte Observer has $$ to burn. You can tell by all of the ads in their paper. [/b]

No offense 82, but actually it isn’t dumb at all. It’s a reality. The kind of coverage we all want is the kind that involves a person from the Observer being at a game and getting some insight from the players and coaches after a game. I know for a fact that the travel budget the Observer has for covering Niner games is substantially larger than that of ACC schools.

Do you think US Air gives the Observer airline tix to travel to games at Houston, St Louis, Milwaukee, etc??? And it won’t be any better when all our games are up North when we move to the A10. The newspaper business is still a business.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Nov 1 2004, 12:41 PM [b] And it won't be any better when all our games are up North when we move to the A10. The newspaper business is still a business. [/b]
Maybe the O can get a 2 for 1 when we play @UMass and the other "local" teams play BC.