Observer: Niners practice foul shots

Niners free throw exhibition not foul at all

Plus this …

Niner headed to world cross country meet

FT Contest:
Plavich: 92-100
Sager: 90-100

I sure hope we start seeing that in games.

Now I know it’s all mental.

I don’t get why some were thinking we didn’t practice free throws. Any free throw expert will tell you it’s in large part a mental thing.

Maybe the athletic department should invest in a sport psychologist/mental training coach like most of the big time schools? I know for a fact it produces positive results, especially for a skill like free throw shooting.

Plav was a 86% free throw shooter when he was at Vanderbilt, we all knew it mental, it’s been that way for the 3 years I have been here, we just change shoot free throws, it has been a thorn in our side and you can blame our two losses on that. But you can also blame it on Lutz’ style to slow the ball down in the second half once we get a little lead. We are an attacking style of team, when he stops doing that, we lose our identity and we lose leads.

This might be a little picky but if you are “practicing” free throws why do you step back and try to hit them from the top of the key?

I think you might want to concentrate on why you are hitting 28% in games and forget the side games.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 01:27 PM [b] This might be a little picky but if you are "practicing" free throws why do you step back and try to hit them from the top of the key?

I think you might want to concentrate on why you are hitting 28% in games and forget the side games. [/b]

exactly what i was thinking

wow… 92-100 is amazing… in practice we can hit them with ease… Iti 8-in-a-row?? We would NEVER see that in competition. I’m always praying that he makes 1 of 2. I hope we can take what we accomplish in practice at the line and apply it within games…

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Dec 11 2004, 01:27 PM [b] This might be a little picky but if you are "practicing" free throws why do you step back and try to hit them from the top of the key?

I think you might want to concentrate on why you are hitting 28% in games and forget the side games. [/b]

That part of the article is a little confusing, but I think the 100 practice shots they took were actual free throws.

[b]After swishing a couple from two steps back, Plavich returned to his routine and kept making free throws.[/b]

It’s all mental, meaning it can improve and it can improve in a hurry. I think we’ve already seen Eddie “turn the corner”, he went 2-8 in the Rutgers game, he’s only missed 4 in 5 games since. Withers also looked really good against Davidson, 6-7 or something like that from the line. It’s a mental thing for sure, hopefully the two losses really got in our guy’s heads about FT’s. We don’t really need to worry that much about Plav’s FT shooting, he’s taken 11 this season in 6 games. Of course we would all like to see him shoot better when he does get to the line, but Withers, Eddie, Drayton and Mitch are the guys that are going to win or lose us games from the FT line. Drayton and Mitch are shooting well enough this year, and Eddie definitely seems to be doing much better, hopefully Withers will continue what he started in the Davidson game. It’s going to be a great season if we can shoot 70% from the line.

Seemed to shoot really well from the line tonight. Let’s hope that they have shaken off the funk and will be better from here on out.

[/b]

Trying to impress Jena, no doubt. :naughty: :wink:

I was hoping he would get another chance late in the Ga State game. Lutz commented on that in post-game. Good to see Curtis, Eddie, and Mitchell getting on track. Plav will be fine. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later.