Observer recommends...

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;149151]We were going to make Charlotte at St. Joe’s our centerpiece for tomorrow’s paper, big art and everything, to break up the Panthers coverage this week. Neither of the Philly papers nor the AP is shooting art of the game. Say hello to another Panthers CP.[/QUOTE]

I hope I read this wrong. You [B]were[/B] going to do a nice centerpiece on the Niners but because you and your paper got insulted by some people on a messageboard now you’re now not going to???

[QUOTE=forDniner;149218]I hope I read this wrong. You [B]were[/B] going to do a nice centerpiece on the Niners but because you and your paper got insulted by some people on a messageboard now you’re now not going to???[/QUOTE]

That’s what I gathered, too. If this is true then . . . somebody needs to grow up; what a freaking joke !

my $.02 on some of the things Mike said in an earlier post -

…it costs about $750 to add a page to the paper. Weekends, it costs about $1000… That would double the cost for newsprint…

Ok, that’s fine, you have to make money at the end of the day, fine. Why not set up a blog/online only system for Utter or whoever to cover the Niners pre/post game as well as special - interest stories? That saves the cost of newsprint, directs people to the web where you make money from ad revenue and also would attract non-local alums who will never have a reason to buy a paper.

…same newsprint, different stories catering to readers…

That’s a bad argument. Charlotte fans and Alums read the paper. I don’t expect pullouts sections in full color, but a nice picture and article combo would be nice every so often.

…why prep coverage is important to us. We’re going after the readers of the future on that topic…

See above. Prep coverage is important and please don’t take it away. BUT, you have to take note of the 20K+ students within the city limits that should be a rich target market to gain new subscribers, especially since so many alums are located in the metro area.

…Relative to their success, I think we’re doing fine…

Ok, that seems like a bit of a low blow. I live in Virginia Tech country and many people here comment on how the Niners and Hokies were in the SUN conference together and always successful, etc etc. Outside of the state of NC, Charlotte is considered by many to be a decent team. Also, how did UNC’s poor play a few years ago under Dougherty affect the coverage level? I bet there were many stories about how they could improve, why he should be fired etc etc. The coverage is only partially based on success, it seems to be based on the perceived readership and their likes when I think everyone up here agrees that we are not asking for much - we just want local support for the local university made up of local students from our local newspaper.

[QUOTE=scollie41;149235]we just want local support for the local university made up of local students from our local newspaper.[/QUOTE]
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mike,
I can’t help but feel sorry when the genuinely senseless branch of your own Republican brotherhood, Ninerone and Stonecoldken, turn against you. But it’s nice that you try, really. Thank you for trying.

[QUOTE=scollie41;149235]Also, how did UNC’s poor play a few years ago under Dougherty affect the coverage level?[/QUOTE]

no it did not. but the sports editor had told us the previous year that winning teams receive much more coverage than losing teams. i guess they changed their policy when the tarholes started sucking that year.

he sure does change his policy all the time.

Anybody that gets the Observer - were we the cover story today or was it the Panthers?

49ers were top story, front page headline. No photos, which I think is what Persinger was saying. The AP did not send a photographer.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;149328]49ers were top story, front page headline. No photos, which I think is what Persinger was saying. The AP did not send a photographer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Lefty. That’s exactly what I said. No photos available. Nice game, though. I watched the second half on TV. The announcers said nice things about you guys, too.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;149337]Thank you, Lefty. That’s exactly what I said. No photos available. Nice game, though. I watched the second half on TV. The announcers said nice things about you guys, too.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Lefty and Mike for the clarification. I misunderstood Mike’s previous post (and hoped that I had).

Ah, how lovely, everybody’s getting along just jiffy now.

Give thanks where thanks is due…so thank you Observer for the coverage.

Way to bring politics into the discussion, anipal craig, aka liberal Al-Queda lover. LOL.

The Niners are important, but not the most important, and while they get some benefits for having Charlotte on their jerseys, it's not a license to steal.

If 3 sentences is stealing, then Chapel Hill has a full-blown hostage situation on their hands.

If 3 sentences is stealing, then Chapel Hill has a full-blown hostage situation on their hands.

:lol: Thanks survivor, almost spit out my coke on this one.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;149122]If you can find better coverage of the Niners in another newspaper, I’d like to see it. Relative to their success, I think we’re doing fine.[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable. You are bragging that your lousy overall coverage of our team/school is good enough because nobody else does any more? “Yay mom, I got a 50% on my test, but nobody else got any higher, so I failed the least out of the whole class!”

YOU ARE THE ONLY NEWSPAPER IN CHARLOTTE. The comparisons that need to be made are the local papers who cover their teams no matter how well or poorly their seasons go. “Relative to thier success” is a phrase that should never, ever come into the equation when you are discussing the local team. The Bobcats are horrible, yet they get plenty of ink, an unbelievable amount “relative to their success.”

On a different note, the article today was nice, a good read and I appriciate you pointing that out about pictures. I was wondering why we didn’t have any. So thank you and good job for today’s coverage.

What article are you referring to CMACK? I saw the game story. Was there another?

[QUOTE=CMack124;149416] “Yay mom, I got a 50% on my test, but nobody else got any higher, so I failed the least out of the whole class!”
.[/QUOTE]

to make this analogy apply to the Observer correctly, there would need to be only 1 student in the class.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;149455]What article are you referring to CMACK? I saw the game story. Was there another?[/QUOTE]

In my last comment I was reffering to the game story. Pretty standard recap, but it was nice they gave it front page coverage and sent Jim Utter up there, he provided some extra observations in the printed version.

[QUOTE]to make this analogy apply to the Observer correctly, there would need to be the only 1 student in the class.[/QUOTE]
so very true.

In addition to the Bobcats not having success, 57% of the voters didn’t want them. What kind of paper wants to make the majority mad? You’d think the Bobcats would get 3 sentences.