Observer technical problem

Folks,
We had a technical problem this morning that many of you here have noticed. Because the 8 p.m. game ended after our normal first edition deadline, we had what we call a “fill” story in there – the JamesOn Curry piece. That story held to the front so we could replace it with a Niners story as soon as the game ended. We call this a “replate,” which means we stop the press, put new plates on to update information, then restart the press for the early edition to get the news into the paper. That’s why, if you live in Lincolnton or northern part of Iredell or any other outlying area, you probably got a full version of the story. In the first part of the city it was right, too, but we tried to do another replate to fix a mistake we caught on the proof, and the wrong front page got onto the press, the one that included our early fill story instead of the first part of the Niners.
Any suggestion of a conspiracy, if you think about it, is ludicrous. Why would we intentionally make a mistake like that? Makes no sense.
We’ll run back the full version of the story inside tomorrow’s paper, and it’s already available online as you have noticed.

Mike, as I noted in another thread, I have a great idea to help you sell papers. We are top 25 rpi. Davidson is looking at top 50. That makes Mecklenburg County (home of the Observer) one of the hotbeds of college basketball in the country. 2 teams from same county in the top 50.

An article about basketball’s elite being located right here in Mecklenburg County should sell some papers, don’t you think?

I don’t think it was any type of conspiracy. I’ve just never seen it happen before.

I like the idea of a Local college basketball section. Then the people of Charlotte will know there’s good basketball outside the ACC.

The Depaul game last week was another mistake, too???. Keep on singing . . . . I don’t buy it, not even for .50 cents

[i]Originally posted by Niner89[/i]@Feb 20 2005, 01:38 PM [b] .50 cents [/b]
that's pronounced...

Fiddy cent :smiley:

My bad today is Sunday so it should be a buck then. But, still not my buck.

clt blames ozzie canseco for the mixup. clt wonders when he will get it in order.

[i]Originally posted by Niner89[/i]@Feb 20 2005, 01:38 PM [b] The Depaul game last week was another mistake, too?????. Keep on singing . . . . I don't buy it, not even for .50 cents [/b]
89, you know damn well people make mistakes......... it's just that the Observer's seem to always hurt us and help the tarholes.

Mistake or not, it’s pretty damn sad that they promote acc tv matchups but won’t even do an article about the local top 25 team playing against another top 25 rpi team (Niners vs DePaul).

[i]Originally posted by cltniners[/i]@Feb 20 2005, 01:46 PM [b] clt blames ozzie canseco for the mixup. clt wonders when he will get it in order. [/b]
Definitely his fault. But yeah, we understand, MP. Things get a little hectic with the late games. I'm sure there's nobody here who honestly believes this was in purpose. But, with the 500 today, are we still going to get the sidebar on the front page?

I believe it was not a conspiracy and was a mistake, but has a mistake of this type of oversight ever occurred for tar hole coverage? Bet not. The O is MUCH more careful and conscientious with those precious hole stories.

[b]49er1 Posted on Feb 20 2005, 05:16 PM [/b]
[b]....The O is MUCH more careful and conscientious with those precious hole stories. [/b]

. . . you sir are too funny “the hole stories” :smiley: . Are we talking about the road condition in part of Charlotte ? :rolleyes: or Piper Glenn kind of the holes ? :lol:

[i]Originally posted by Niner89[/i]@Feb 20 2005, 05:57 PM [b]
[b]49er1 Posted on Feb 20 2005, 05:16 PM [/b]
[b]....The O is MUCH more careful and conscientious with those precious hole stories. [/b]

. . . you sir are too funny “the hole stories” :smiley: . Are we talking about the road condition in part of Charlotte ? :rolleyes: or Piper Glenn kind of the holes ? :lol: [/b]

You could take it that way. After all, we are talking “tar” holes. :lol: