Offensive Execution

The 2 Overtime periods by WVU was an offensive clinic. Their coach has done an absolutely incredible job. They were so well spaced, they passed the ball so well, they broke Wake’s trap with ease, they cut at the perfect time, the set good screens, shooters popped at the right second, no shots were forced, they went one on one when the matchup was favorable. THAT WAS AN OFFENSIVE MASTERPIECE. I really genuinely hope Bobby watched and learned from the clinic they put on. That is what a Basketball team looked like 20 years ago. It can still work today.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Mar 19 2005, 11:34 PM [b] The 2 Overtime periods by WVU was an offensive clinic. Their coach has done an absolutely incredible job. They were so well spaced, they passed the ball so well, they broke Wake's trap with ease, they cut at the perfect time, the set good screens, shooters popped at the right second, no shots were forced, they went one on one when the matchup was favorable. THAT WAS AN OFFENSIVE MASTERPIECE. I really genuinely hope Bobby watched and learned from the clinic they put on. That is what a Basketball team looked like 20 years ago. It can still work today. [/b]
Noticed how they took 3 pointers in the flow of their offense and never early in the shot clock just because a good shooter had daylight?

Also, they are very unselfish. Their better shooters give up marginal looks to get a lesser shooter a good look. We never do that.

I wish we had Taron Downey as our point guard. Hard to believe he was the Wake back -up pg. Incredible game by WVU. They were amazing.

I agree with everything said…

BUT, many people will say we have more talented personnel because we have better athletes. Not true. They have great personnel. They have alot of shooters and alot of ball handlers and good passers. They’re not going to jump over anyone, but they dont have to.

Ex: Our PF’s and C’s have trouble catching an easy pass and finishing (and by the way, our guards have trouble making easy passes), whereas theirs were nailing jump shots and passing the ball incredibly to back door cuts.

I love watching their execution. Belien (sp?) is a great coach.

I am curious, does WVU have a single Mc D’s AA?

I don’t think we have better athletes. This team only had 4 guys who had an ounce of athleticism (Curt, Eddie, EJ and Mitch). Nance has no hops, Brendan has brick feet, Iti plays like he’s on ice, Leemire has enough and Sager is Sager.

I know our offense looked bad in the 2nd half the other night but we averaged over 75pts per game. Our offense was fine this year. Our defense wasn’t. We could score with most anybody…but on off nights…we lose because we can’t stop ANYBODY.

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er[/i]@Mar 20 2005, 01:03 PM [b] I know our offense looked bad in the 2nd half the other night but we averaged over 75pts per game. Our offense was fine this year. Our defense wasn't. We could score with most anybody....but on off nights...we lose because we can't stop ANYBODY. [/b]
Yes, our defense was the biggest problem this year. Our offense was good much of the time but too often simply disappeared. Usually this happened against good teams that play good defense. I don't think our offense was ever the strength we thought is was this year.