Offensive Rebounding

I made a comment about offensive rebounding in the recruiting thread and got curious. We’ve all commented how we don’t rebound well there. So, I looked for a stat: Offensive Rebounding %

Where do we rank?

0 voters

Vote before you look at the spoiler below

Per this article in The Athletic based on Kenpom analysis, live ball offensive rebounds net 20% more points per possessions than a normal possession on average.

This seems like a pillar we should look into.

We don’t really do anything well under Sanchez, so this is no surprise.

With so many teams running a 4 out offense just don’t have many people in position to rebound.

1 Like

We seem to make it a priority to get back on D. It’s also a flaw of having your post run the offense out on the perimeter.

2 Likes

Yeah in our case we have player in position to make rebound but they just turn and run back.

1 Like

How you do that spoiler?

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

It’s right above the Build Poll option on the gear icon in the text editor

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

1 Like

clt hates this system

I follow the Hornets closely. Coach cliff is a very respected NBA coach. He has made it clear to the media that good defensive teams must first before anything else get back on defense to prevent fast break points. When asked if that means not getting as many offensive rebounds, his response was that the number one priority of a good defensive team is to get back on defense so if that means not getting offensive rebounds then so be it. He says you cannot give up easy fast break points and win games in the NBA. I would think that also holds true in collegiate basketball.

I get that in concept but you should be able to stop a fast break with 2 or 3 players going back allowing you to fight for an offensive rebound with you other 2. Unless the other team is leaking out basically their entire team and in that case you def should angle for Offensive rebound.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here would argue against that North Texas plays better defense than us and plays a similar pace, etc.

Their rank in that same statistic is 45th. So they are playing good defense and maximizing their possessions at the same time.

2 Likes

english snl GIF

Lol.

Who are you suggesting would be fighting for those rebounds last year? Briscoe, Cye, JT, Ali? We didn’t exactly have a bunch of tall athletes

Rebounding is as much about anticipation, effort and positioning as it is height. See Barkley, Charles and Rodman, Dennis.

Ron doesn’t believe in offensive rebounding. Just like his entire philosophy it is more important to play defense than attempt to score the ball.

Well, he’s wrong about a lot philosophically speaking concerning hoops

In our last 5 seasons we never made it out of the 300s on offensive rebounding.

The year Price was fired we were at 240.

1 Like

Rodman was 6’7, had a 7’2 wingspan and a 30 - 35 inch vertical leap and led the NBA in rebounding several years. Don’t think we had any of those on this past year’s team. Barkley was an athletic freak as well.

But yes, the players and team have to commit to do it. It does help if everyone on the floor can do that and still get back on d as well. Again I don’t think we had the players that could.

2 Likes

Ron doesn’t prioritize it. Period.

Igor 6 9
Aly 6 11
Brice 6 7

Stop acting like we didn’t have enough size to do better. It’s how Ron wants to play.

I swear you would smell shit and try to convince us it’s roses. There is no reason for us to be sub 300 in any category. It’s absolute garbage.