Official Complain Cause We didn't hire Amato Thread

in todays paper http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/25/2092735/49ers-show-little-interest-in.htmlThi

we should all be beyond pissed off… i get it if you didn’t want to hire him, but where does this mickey mouse outfit get off not interviewing Amato, or even talking to him at all? This athletic program will never be anything as long as we have such incompetence! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Judy Rose must be fired >:(

To avoid having the same conversations in multiple threads let’s make this thread all things Chuck Amato related.

Love him, hate him, in between? Let’s talk about it here.

I’m quite disappointed that we didn’t even take a look, much less hire him. I thought he would be a great fit for us and am extremely disappointed in the AD for not considering it OR being transparent with the coaching search. It’s time to move on, though, so here is to hoping that we hire someone good and supporting them.

Seems like a great choice from the outside looking in. I wouldn’t be upset if they talked to him and decided to go another direction, but not even calling him is mind boggling.

It seems like I am the only one, but I don’t have a problem with this. I admit that the thought of Amato was an intriguing option, but he has plenty of “negatives” and there are TONS of good coaches out there. His shining glory at NCSU was that he knew FSU up one side and down the other, and at the time, was the only ACC team that could beat them. That’s probably in part why he was given a crutch to come back to them. He was mediocre at best as a head coach, and I am glad our program wants more. I don’t know what it is behind the scenes that can’t get him a job, but it must be something. When smaller schools than us looked past him, he kind of lost his luster with me.

I just can’t see why some of you are so ready to jump ship after not hiring him. I understand the argument that he could have sold a lot of FSL’s for us, but at the same time, we don’t know that. He sold for his alma mater, and we aren’t that. He won’t have that tool. You could have crowned him king when he pounded FSU that he knew so well, but that didn’t keep him from having losing seasons against the rest of the ACC.

I would have been very happy if he came here, just as happy as I will be with the coach that we DO land.

Good point. This doesn’t get brought up enough.

Gardner Webb passed on him as well. Now we did as well. So what makes more sense? That our AD found out, like their’s did, that it was better to steer clear for some reason, or that their AD is a narcissist who doesn’t want to be outshined by a coach as well?

[quote=“MKNiner, post:6, topic:25025”][quote=“BusterC417, post:5, topic:25025”]When smaller schools than us looked past him, he kind of lost his luster with me.
[/quote]Gardner Webb passed on him as well. Now we did as well. So what makes more sense? That our AD found out, like their’s did, that it was better to steer clear for some reason, or that their AD is a narcissist who doesn’t want to be outshined by a coach as well?[/quote]
footballscoop.com said something to the effect of ‘Mike Minter & Chuck Amato are candidates for Gardner-Webb’. It got shot down as untrue quick. Did I miss something?

I posted early on what my State buddy said and he is close to some of the biggest boosters at State. Burned many people there. Couldn’t trust him and became a joke among their group.

Was a complete fake in the end.

I agree with Buster. I thought he was intriguing, but now that he’s out, I have to admit, I am really not that upset at all. I think our fanbase has overhyped him, and acted like he was the only viable option.

[quote=“LeftyNiner, post:8, topic:25025”]I posted early on what my State buddy said and he is close to some of the biggest boosters at State. Burned many people there. Couldn’t trust him and became a joke among their group.

Was a complete fake in the end.[/quote]

Not completely true. I know an owner of a large gas company/convenience store chain who is a pretty big donor in the Wolfpack Club and he loves Amato. Amato visited his office out of the blue twice when he was nearby. In any case, can Judy not atleast meet him and decide for herself? Very lame to not interview him. very lame.

Its quite simple. We need a big name coach to be taken seriously in this market. He was it. We acted like he didnt exist.Charlotte will continue to think we’re a D2 school.

Judy and the ath dept did indeed meet with him. Don’t you remember. He stopped in unannounced thinking everyone would bowdown around him. That’s Chuck the Chest.

Can I use this thread to complain about how moronic it is that we’re complaining about Amato didn’t get the job?

If he was a good coach, he’d have gotten hired by now.

I am BEYOND pissed off!

He had 5 bowls in 7 years.
He whupped the mighty FSU.
At least give him an interview. There is no way around it. This is utter BS. Don’t hire him, fine, lots of people don’t get hired, but damn give someone like him an interview. Hell we should be grateful a former BCS coach is willing to work for $175K, when most make millions.

Not giving him an interview makes me wonder how serious we are about jumping to FBS ASAP.

That’s the athletic director.

Honestly, I can’t imagine Amato doing anything except asking questions. The guy is notorious for doing his homework and it’s totally within his nature to seek out new FCS coaches and ask for their guidance, too.

Instead of maintaining an open mind and keeping him as a potential candidate like any other emotionally mature athletic director would do, we disregard him completely and get all butthurt about it.

This isn’t about what’s doing what’s right for the school or doing what’s right for the program. This is about hiring the person that makes Judy and others feel the most comfortable. It’s very unfortunate how priorities have gotten so skewed.

I am glad Amato isn’t going to be the coach. The guy never won any championships with solid talent at NC State. He is also rather old and has came across as a loose cannon at times.

Not winning any championships? Wow.

Not as the head coach. Never finished better than 4th. Had a losing record overall in conference play.