Official Complain Cause We didn't hire Amato Thread

I think to be fair that you have to realize a lot of that was on the QB play under Amato and he had a couple of 5/4 star QBs that a lot of colleges were drooling over, including Harrison Beck and Jay Davis. Not to mention highly recruited Marcus Stone (who switched to tight end and made it with the Bears). None of these players lived up to the potential that EVERYONE thought they would have, it was just bad luck. What I also liked about Amato was that he wouldnā€™t just stay with somebody because they were highly touted. He gave the reins at QB to Daniel Evans, not because Daniel Evan was highly recruited or the best QB in the world, but because he felt like Evans gave the team the best opportunity to win out of everyone who was in the arsenal. Not to mention that I believe it was Amato who recruited All-Everything Russel Wilson.

You can argue that a lot of this is because of poor evaluation of talent but I donā€™t think so, especially not when EVERYONE thought they were going to be great and when he consistently had players taken in the first round.

Same exact thing with Philip Rivers only w/more success, obviously. Rivers was very lightly recruited and only received serious interest from one college - NC State. He came in with an unorthodox throwing motion, a bad camp, and a deficient offensive line - but Amato believed (with his usual bravado) that Rivers gave the team the best opportunity to win and best fit his OCā€™s system. Amato gets very little credit for that, too.

Amato led NC State to finish ranked 12th in the country. NC State. Football. 12th in the country. Comparing credentials of Amato to anyone else that has been mentioned just makes Amato look that much better.

I donā€™t know if heā€™s the best man for the job, but not interviewing him is, if nothing else, an awful PR move. When we are announcing Joe Offensive Coordinator as our HC, you want to be able to say ā€œwe set down with Amato and didnā€™t think he would have been a great fit.ā€ You donā€™t want dozens of questions about why you didnā€™t bother to call the highest profile candidate that expressed interest.

Have these negative people ever heard of crawling before you can walk! I would love to have a 40,000 seat stadium from day one but itā€™s called REALITY! Weā€™re trying to pull out of the worst depression in 80 years and weā€™re lucky to have $40M to build a fine, on-campus home. There arenā€™t many established programs who have this nice of a stadium after decades of fielding a team.

And if Chuck is so damn great, why was he fired at a marginally-successful State program and had to beg for a coordinator possition at FSU? Anyone saying we wonā€™t be successful if we donā€™t have _______ as coach is an idoit and I donā€™t wish to continue to read you BS on this board.

And I call major BS to anyone who claims ready to walk away on hundreds of dollars worth of FSLā€™s!!! Please call me and Iā€™ll be happy to take over your payments and add to the six I already have.

[quote=ā€œUofC9er, post:24, topic:25025ā€]Have these negative people ever heard of crawling before you can walk! I would love to have a 40,000 seat stadium from day one but itā€™s called REALITY! Weā€™re trying to pull out of the worst depression in 80 years and weā€™re lucky to have $40M to build a fine, on-campus home. There arenā€™t many established programs who have this nice of a stadium after decades of fielding a team.

And if Chuck is so damn great, why was he fired at a marginally-successful State program and had to beg for a coordinator possition at FSU? Anyone saying we wonā€™t be successful if we donā€™t have _______ as coach is an idoit and I donā€™t wish to continue to read you BS on this board.

And I call major BS to anyone who claims ready to walk away on hundreds of dollars worth of FSLā€™s!!! Please call me and Iā€™ll be happy to take over your payments and add to the six I already have.[/quote]

ā€¦and anyone who continues to rip Amato because he was fired from NCSU as if that has anything to do with him being a perfect fit for our program and its needsā€¦(ie; a salesman/face of the programā€¦per our our ADā€™s comments for the last 2 years) really doesnā€™t seem to have a grasp on what our program needs or where our athletic programā€™s reputation stands in the region. A big name gives you credibility/attention in the market which we desparately need.

If you think just winning in FCS is going to impress people in Charlotte, good luck.

Itā€™s more about image than just winning.

Well winning the FCS championship is the best weā€™ll be able to do for quite a while because I canā€™t imagine weā€™ll be FBS for 10 years from now at the earliest.

Winning the FCS championship will put butts in the seats, just like it did at App.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:27, topic:25025ā€]Well winning the FCS championship is the best weā€™ll be able to do for quite a while because I canā€™t imagine weā€™ll be FBS for 10 years from now at the earliest.

Winning the FCS championship will put butts in the seats, just like it did at App.[/quote]

Stop it. The only person in the universe that can put butts in the seat is Amato. People will spend 1k plus the cost of tickets just to watch Sir Breastaclies walk the sidelines in green shoes and sun glasses. Reporters will jockey for press passes just to cover him in hopes heā€™ll yell ā€œWhatā€™s wrong with having dreams!!ā€

Winning is irrelevant. Could go winless every season with Amato as our coach, but the devoted would still flock to see us play, just cause heā€™s here.

Winning alone will not do it and a big name coach alone wonā€™t do it.

We need a coach that has a sense of marketability and can cultivate the fan base for two year and who can then win consistently. Short of an FCS title though winning in FCS isnā€™t going to do much for us. This market didnā€™t embrace us the way they should have in CUSA and they wonā€™t in FCS.

In the end we need a coach that understands the media and working with alumni, has the balls to tell Judy when shes screwing things up and then win consistently. Just a big name coach or just winning is not going to be enough.

While in CUSA we were viewed as a ā€œnice little program.ā€ People donā€™t embrace ā€œnice little programsā€ who win occassionally. If they did Davidson would have needed a bigger gym after Curry left.

Winning is what gets you fans. Sustained success is what gets you fans. You can have a coach that markets til heā€™s blue in the face, but if success doesnā€™t follow on the court you donā€™t grow your fan base. Itā€™s as simple as that.

We could hire Amato, and initially there would be a buzz, weā€™d get some pub and it would be great. But what happens when the novelty wears off? How many FSLā€™s is Amato really going to sell? Are people really going to pay 1k plus the price of tickets just to see Amato walk the sidelines?

Right now the people we are most likely to get are people who love college football period. Those that would be excited to come to games close to home and hopefully, if they like what they see, adopt us as their team. But to like what they see we have to have success on the field.

Bottom line Amato wonā€™t be our coach. And no amount of complaining on here will change it. Itā€™s pointless to continue the conversation unless you just like complaining about it or just like needling those who are complaining about it. Personally, Iā€™m through with the subject. Time to move on.

Donā€™t everyone cry at once. :smiley:

Winning and sustaining success is what should excite your already existing fanbase, not create fans though it would be an offshoot.

We have 25000 students, most of which live within a mile radius of campus. We are nearing in on 100k living alumni many with children, of which i would say greater than 50% of those live in the area. We are in a metro area of about 1 million people. Still, we canā€™t put 6k in halton consistently, we canā€™t sell 5k FSLā€™s. We canā€™t get 6,000 commitments of FSLā€™s to follow through.

At some point it becomes how you have marketed your program and how you have set out to have it perceived. Iā€™m talking about from getting Average Joe Public, to indoctrinating the incoming freshman Justin to pulling in Sam Alumni who hasnā€™t been to campus in 5 years.

When Average Joe Public goes to Concord Mills Mall and sees App stuff being sold 10:1 over Charlotte, Charlotte is going to be perceived as lesser to App.

When incoming Freshman Justin sees upperclassmen wearing other schools gear daily, he thinks it is acceptable. Trust me, personally in high school i had an FSU hat that I constantly wore. I didnā€™t bring it with me to college because i consciously thought it would be wrong. When i saw others didnā€™t give a crap, i brought it from home the next time i went.

When Sam Alumni only gets the casual phone call from his college to donate money, or the quarterly ā€œcome to our expensive continuing educationā€ post card, he isnā€™t going to have a tie to the university.

When football comes along, the same stale leadership and their ideas arenā€™t going to cut it. Should be proven by the FSL numbers. Yes a dynamic personalty will help. Of course winning will help. But you better believe that our admin is selling to our coaches the numbers I just gave you, student size, alumni size etc. So why arenā€™t they taking advantage of it? Why do we need a savior of sorts to fix this situation?

While in CUSA we were viewed as a ā€œnice little program.ā€ People donā€™t embrace ā€œnice little programsā€ who win occassionally. If they did Davidson would have needed a bigger gym after Curry left.

Winning is what gets you fans. Sustained success is what gets you fans. You can have a coach that markets til heā€™s blue in the face, but if success doesnā€™t follow on the court you donā€™t grow your fan base. Itā€™s as simple as that.

We could hire Amato, and initially there would be a buzz, weā€™d get some pub and it would be great. But what happens when the novelty wears off? How many FSLā€™s is Amato really going to sell? Are people really going to pay 1k plus the price of tickets just to see Amato walk the sidelines?

Right now the people we are most likely to get are people who love college football period. Those that would be excited to come to games close to home and hopefully, if they like what they see, adopt us as their team. But to like what they see we have to have success on the field.

Bottom line Amato wonā€™t be our coach. And no amount of complaining on here will change it. Itā€™s pointless to continue the conversation unless you just like complaining about it or just like needling those who are complaining about it. Personally, Iā€™m through with the subject. Time to move on.

Donā€™t everyone cry at once. :D[/quote]

I think we are on the same side MK. Winning is absolutely needed. We have to win and win consistently. If we lose at the FCS level this town will look at us like complete garbage. I am also afraid that we will be looked at as ā€œa nice little programā€ for as long as we are in FCS, even if we are winning.

With all that said from the time we hire the dude we will have 2 years before he even has a chance to win. So that means we need a coach who can work some magic in the absence of wins. I am ok with not getting Chuck. I do wish we had at least brought him in though. I am not sold on Lambert, but he would be ok. All I am saying is we need a coach who can do both - win and rally the troops and bring new people into the fold over the next 2 years an beyond.