Official NNN 2009 Summer Movie thread

It’s back - an NNN Tradition!!

I’ll be editing this to add movies to the list as we get details.

I suppose the season kicks off with [URL=http://www.x-menorigins.com/][B]X Men Origins: Wolverine[/B][/URL] which opens tonight.

I am also getting very interested in the new [URL=http://www.startrek.com/][B]Star Trek[/B][/URL] (5/8). Predcitably, the early reviews (fanboys) on RT.com are 100%. Although there’s at least one comment that this flick is “Star Trek for people who don’t like Star Trek”… The FX for this flick look spectacular.

[B][CENTER]- MAY - [/CENTER][/B]

[B][U]Angels And Demons[/U][/B]
Starring: Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Stellan Skarsgård
Director: Ron Howard
Release Date: [B]15th May 2009[/B]

The Da Vinci Code may have received mixed reviews but that hasn’t kept Ron Howard from hitting up the prequel too - Angels And Demons. The plot follows Robert Langdon (Hanks) as he tries to stop a secret society from destroying the Vatican. Avid readers say it’s a better novel than its more famous follow up. But now all the Da Vinci hype has well and truly died down, and anticipation for this seems to be just about zero, Angels And Demons presents one of the most unpredictable prospects of the summer.

[B][U]Terminator Salvation[/U][/B]
Starring: Christian Bale, Helena Bonham Carter, Sam Worthington
Director: Joseph “McG” McGinty Nichol
Release Date: [B]21st May 2009[/B]

It’s now post apocalyptic 2018, the world has been all but destroyed by Skynet and John Connor (Christian Bale) is leading the resistance. When he meets a stranger named Marcus, whose last memory is being on death row, Connor must decide if he has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. Interesting premise. Surely Bale wouldn’t agree to star if this didn’t have some serious character curves… Arnie is rumoured to be back in a small role, using a cgi head on a body double. Should we be worried it’s directed by McG (Charlie’s Angels)?

[B][U]Night At The Museum 2: Battle Of The Smithsonian[/U][/B]
Starring: Ben Stiller, Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais, Owen Wilson
Director: Shawn Levy
Release Date: [B]22nd May 2009[/B]

Night At The Museum was an unexpected box office smash back in Christmas 2006, so some sort of follow up was inevitable. This could have easily been a sloppy spin off with none of the original cast, but instead everyone from the original movie, even the likes of Ricky Gervais and Steve Coogan, have returned for the sequel. This time action shifts to the Smithsonian in Washington D.C., where the old museum gems are being housed while their museum is closed for renovations. Expect lots of Ben Stiller being chased up corridors by historical figures.

[B][U]Pixar’s Up[/U][/B]
Starring: Christopher Plummer (voice)
Director: Pete Docter; Bob Petersen
Release Date: [B]29th May 2009[/B]

As much as film critics would love to pretend otherwise, cinemagoers were split on WALL-E. Of course it appealed to reviewers with its beautiful cinematography, mind blowing animation, political messages and elongated arty shots. But for the actual target audience, kids, it was half-on, half-off. Boredom was not uncommon. “Up” is another unconventional plot for an animated feature. From what we can assume, it’s a sweet story of an Old Man who wants to live out his dead wife’s life long dream to explore the mountains. He does this by befriending a young boy who is an exploration enthusiast. I can’t wait to see what Pixar have got ‘up’ their sleeves heh heh heh.

[B][CENTER]- JUNE -[/CENTER][/B]

[B][U]Land Of The Lost[/U][/B]
Starring: Will Ferrell, Danny McBride, Anna Friel
Director: Brad Silberling
Release Date: [B]5th June 2009[/B]

[B][U]The Taking Of Pelham 123[/U][/B]
Starring: Denzel Washington, John Travolta, John Turturro, James Gandolfini, and the great Luis Guzmán
Director: Tony Scott
Release Date: [B]12th June 2009[/B]

Tony Scott is back with a remake of a remake of a remake of a book adaptation of a… Well, basically, this film has been made once or twice - The original was a 70s crime thriller starring Walter Matthau, adapted from a book, and became a TV movie in 1998. It’s now in the hands of close-up-obsessed Tony Scott, and an all star cast. The movie follows a cynical New York cop (Washington) who witnesses a hijacking on the subway (by Travolta). Ransoms and police negotiation then follow. Rest assured, the story is an action packed thriller with some intense character moments. And where else could you see Walter Matthau recast as Denzel Washington?

[B][U]Year One[/U][/B]
Starring: Jack Black, Michael Cera, David Cross, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin to you and me)
Director: Harold Ramis
Release Date: [B]19th June 2009[/B]

With a cast line up like this I don’t know if summer comedy can get much better. Maybe resurrecting Graham Chapman for a Monty Python reunion could top it. In Year One, it’s the year, er, 1, and Jack Black and Juno’s Michael Cera are a couple of lazy hunter-gatherers. After being banished from their primitive village, they decide to set off on an epic journey through the ancient world. McLovin plays someone called ‘Isaac’. Vinnie Jones is in there too - I’m going to guess portraying some sort of brute with a club.

[B][U]Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen[/U][/B]
Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox
Director: Michael Bay
Release Date: [B]26th June 2009[/B]

The return of the franchise that one particular car company loves. The fact that Michael Bay himself plotted out the story for this one during the writers’ strike is a cause for concern - Expect the usual ridiculously hot women with unlikely academic knowledge, and overweight African-Americans used for comic relief. While you would think Megatron and Starscream are getting the ‘revenge’ mentioned in the title, rumour has it that the ‘Fallen’ are actually a third set of robots, who the Decepticons and Autobots have to team up to destroy. We will see…

[B][CENTER]- JULY -[/CENTER][/B]

[B][U]Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs[/U][/B]
Starring: Ray Romano, Queen Latifah, Dennis Leary
Director: Carlos Saldanha
Release Date: [B]1st July 2009[/B]

The success of the Ice Age series can really be put down to one saber-toothed squirrel and an acorn. He was the trailer for the first movie (do you even remember the other previews?) and is still the marketing force today for this series. It’s amusing to me the voice cast they have for the franchise - a lead actors were big for ten minutes when the first movie was cast around the year 2000, but now couldn’t get movie work for love or money - Ray Romano and Denis Leary. It’s their careers that are being preserved in ice. Stretching accomplished animated franchises into a trilogy can be disastrous (see Shrek), so let’s hope the cracks don’t start to show.

[B][U]Public Enemies[/U][/B]
Starring: Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Channing Tatum
Director: Michael Mann
Release Date: [B]1st July 2009[/B]

All those who want Johnny Depp cast opposite Christian Bale as the Riddler in the next Batman movie probably don’t realise they’re going see the two go head to head in just a few months. And with Michael Mann at the helm this should be one of the best of the year. Depp is John Dillinger and Bale the man on his trail in this crime thriller set during the crime wave of the 1930s that subsequently gave birth to the FBI.

[B][U]Brüno[/U][/B]
Starring: Sacha Baron Cohen, Alice Evans
Director: Dan Mazer
Release Date: [B]10th July 2009[/B]

After the absolute smash of Sacha Baron Cohen’s big screen adventure “Borat”, the British comedy gem is back with an even more in-your-face character “Bruno.” Bruno is a camp, over the top homosexual who claims to be an Austrian reporter and turns up in less “open minded” locations in which he is far from welcome; such as the conservative southern states of America, or soccer games. The character first appeared in TV series Da Ali G Show interviewing important figures from the fashion world, misleading them into agreeing to things they didn’t believe in, talking about parts of their show that don’t actually exist, and even changing their stance on certain issues to fit with the shows apparent “sponsors.” For example; Bruno managed to make a spokesman completely change his opinion on Paris Hilton during the interview by claiming that The Hilton Group were a key sponsor. Bruno is not just about camp jokes, it’s sharply observed and, like Borat, is a great tool for revealing what really goes on in some people’s minds.

[U][B]2012[/B][/U]
Starring: John Cusack, Amanda Peet, Danny Glover
Director: Roland Emmerich
Release Date: [B]10th July 2009 – UPDATE: Moved to 13th November[/B]

However the world does eventually end, you can be sure that Roland Emmerich will have covered it. 2012 is based on the metaphysical prediction that the planet will come to a close on the 21st of December 2012, in the same way that the world ended on the 1st January 2000, and in the same way that the world ended when the Proton Accelerator was turned on. John Cusack returns to big dumb summer action movies, because Con Air turned out so well for him (what do you mean you forgot he was even in it?)

[B][U]Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince[/U][/B]
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman
Director: David Yates
Release Date: [B]15th July 2009[/B]

Everybody loves Harry Potter. Well, maybe not everybody, but as Movie Moron reported recently, it has now become the biggest grossing movie franchise of all time, outdoing even Star Wars and Bond. The Half Blood Prince is likely to be anticipation personified, as it was originally due for release November 2008. Warner Brothers’ thin-on-the-ground summer 2009 line up was the reason for the delay, so there’s no cause for concern. The teaser trailer was a firecracker and this is a series that gets darker and more accomplished with every episode.

[B][U]G-Force[/U][/B]
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Penelope Cruz, Steve Buscemi, Bill Nighy
Director: Hoyt Yeatman
Release Date: [B]24th July 2009[/B]

With this cast, I completely presumed it was a live action movie; that is until I read the synopsis. ‘A team of highly trained Guinea Pigs are dispatched to take down an evil billionaire who wants to destroy the world with household appliances.’… This is Disney’s latest team up with Jerry Bruckheimer, and will indeed be an animated movie.

[B][CENTER]- AUGUST -[/CENTER][/B]

[B][U]G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra[/U][/B]
Starring: Channing Tatum, Dennis Quaid, Sienna Miller, Christopher Eccleston
Director: Stephen Sommers
Release Date: [B]7th August 2009[/B]

All American G.I. Joe is now all international as a Nato-like elite military unit takes on a notorious arms dealer. The cast is dodgy, the director made Van Helsing, and the pictures so far look pretty stupid, but if you throw enough money at the screen it’s bound to have sufficient spectacle to be entertaining on some level. Likely to be the dumbest movie of the summer and have everyone shaking their heads at the wasted potential.

[B][U]Inglourious Basterds[/U][/B]
Starring: Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, Mike Myers, Til Schweiger
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Release Date: [B]21st August 2009[/B]

Did you do all those writeups yourself?

Going to see X-men Origins tonight, will definitely see Transformers and GI Joe, 90% on Harry Potter, the rest, meh.

I blatantly ripped that off. No time this year. But I pretty much agree with that guy’s takes.

I’m definitely in for:

Star Trek - intrigued enough
Transformers - Megan Fox is enough reason for me
Public Enemies - NA skipping a Michael Mann movie? Unpossible.
UP - taking NA jr
Inglorius Bastards

Probables:

Angels & Demons

If I didnt have to find a sitter:

Terminator
Taking of Pelham 123
Land of the Lost
Year One

I have to mention [I]Bruno[/I] - I dont think this will work twice. With no TV show to build a ready made audience, and keep the buzz alive, this has flop potential unless the material is just really good.

It’ll break at least one NNN poster’s heart, but [I]GI Joe[/I] looks godawful to me.

I don’t see a can’t miss comedy flick, unless you count [I]Up[/I]. Land of the Lost & Year One are 50-50 bets, at best.

I’m pretty sure Terminator is going to be the tits…

I’m also pretty sure GI Joe is gonna take a dump on my childhood.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;405656]
[B]I have to mention [I]Bruno[/I] - I dont think this will work twice. With no TV show to build a ready made audience, and keep the buzz alive, this has flop potential unless the material is just really good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Bruno is one of those deals that would fail if there was a TV show building a ready-made audience. People would be muck less likely to talk to an over-the-top reporter if they had seen or heard about that over-the-top reporter’s comedy show. Keep the show in the UK and the movies here.

[QUOTE=casstommy;405657]I’m pretty sure Terminator is going to be the tits…

I’m also pretty sure GI Joe is gonna take a dump on my childhood.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how seriously you take it. I liked the Dragonball Movie, but only because I took it for what it was.

I’ve already checked X-Men off my list semi-legally. And I have only 5 that I’ve got to see this summer, unless a trailer bedazzles me.

Star Trek
Year One
Transformers
Bruno
Terminator

I’m excited for Transformers. The new trailer came out yesterday and looks sweet!! Dare I say it may be better than the first! And for true fanboys; Frank Welker the original voice for several characters (Megatron, Soundwave) will be doing the voice of Soundwave! Also they will have a combiner, Devastator (he’s the one sucking the sand in the new trailer, see link)!!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809943432/trailer

Also looking forward to the Harry Potter flicks and G.I. Joe although like some, I have low expectations for Joe. Up looks to be fun and Terminator. Can Christian Bale make a bad movie?

Star Trek, never was a fan but the new one looks pretty entertaining.

[QUOTE=CPA_Niner;405663]
Can Christian Bale make a bad movie?
[/QUOTE]

Ever seen the Machinist? Reign of Fire? New World? 3:10 to Yuma?

Machinist was the wost of the bunch. I liked the Dark Knight and I liked Equilibrium. I know it is not a popular opinion, but Batman Begins blows.

Beat me to it, although I thought 3:10 to Yuma was a good flick.

My wife absolutely loved [I]The New World[/I]. I thought it wasn’t too bad either.

[I]3:10 to Yuma [/I]is a solid rental.

And [I]Reign of Fire [/I]probably is a bad movie, but it’s one I can and have watched over and over.

Bale has made some good movies, but in most cases, he didn’t make them good.

Okay, but the Machinist, can anyone defend that movie? It was god awful terrible, horrible bad.

On top of the movies mentioned

District 9 that releases in August and is from Neil Blomkamp and Peter Jackson looks very interesting. Blomkamp was the director assigned to the Halo franchise before the deal fell apart. They say this movie is Jackson adn Blomkamp attempting to prove to Microsoft and the studios he is the man that should helm the Halo universe.

T4: Can it really be good if it is PG-13? Are there any successful sequels that were PG-13 when the prior movies were rated R? Die Hard 4 was decent I suppose, but that’s the only one I can think of.

I have high expectations for Star Trek.

This year, like most years, I must do my rant that Hollywood is just recycling the same working formulas. Almost every movie NA listed is a sequel, and if it isn’t, it’s still based on an existing idea. There is no creativity left in Hollywood.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;405667]Ever seen the Machinist? Reign of Fire? New World? 3:10 to Yuma?

Machinist was the wost of the bunch. I liked the Dark Knight and I liked Equilibrium. I know it is not a popular opinion, but Batman Begins blows.[/QUOTE]

Never saw New World. Reign of Fire and 3:10 to Yuma weren’t bad movies. Machinist was ok but I wouldn’t say these movies were bad because of Christian Bale’s acting. Reign of Fire was more of a McConaughey movie; 3:10 to Yuma was Russell Crowe. Wasn’t New World billed as a Colin Farrell movie? Anyway I like Bale, I think he’s a good actor.

Just came in from Wolverine - not as good as X1 and X2 but far and away better than X3. The movie had it’s high points and a few low points. I have an issue with how some of the characters were used, but I won’t go into that because I don’t want to spoil the movie for anyone. I will say though that if you go see the movie stay through to the end of the credits. Much like X3 and Ironman there is a scene at the end that you need to see.

I figured i’d mention a comedy no one else did, [URL=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119646/]The Hangover[/URL] looks hilarious,

[QUOTE]A Las Vegas-set comedy centered around three groomsmen who lose their about-to-be-wed buddy during their drunken misadventures, then must retrace their steps in order to find him.[/QUOTE]

pretty much, Dude Where’s the Groom, but got some funny people in it, Wilkesboro’s own Zach Galifianakis(my favorite stand up comedian), Ed Helms and Bradley Cooper.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;405765] I will say though that if you go see the movie stay through to the end of the credits. [/QUOTE]

Same with any flick. The movie isn’t over until the film stops moving.

Machinist was the wost of the bunch. I liked the Dark Knight and I liked Equilibrium. I know it is not a popular opinion, but Batman Begins blows.

I loved the Machinist. I thought it was a great psychological thriller very much in the style of Memento. I’ve actually seen it twice and I’ve enjoyed it very much both times.

Batman Begins blows? Are you serious? It totally reinvigorated a dead franchise and made Batman super-incredibly-cool again to movie goers around the world.

You forgot to mention Bale’s probably best performance to date, American Psycho. Awesome movie.

What I’ll be seeing in theaters this summer:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Land of the Lost
Year One
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Bruno
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Inglorious Basterds

Hopefully it will be a $45 (gotta love the $5 Mon - Thu at AMC) well spent.