Old Niner basketball footage on YouTube

Hey everyone, found these and figured you’d want to see them. Consider this my penance for those pictures of me at the UNC/LSU game. :slight_smile:

1976: UNCC vs NCSU (NIT Semifinal) (Final Seconds of Game)

1976: Return from MSG after Kentucky Loss/Parade

1977: Sun Belt Conference Game Clips

1977: NCAA 1st Round - Intros versus Central Michigan

1977: ABC News Special Report

1977: Alternate Footage of 1977 NCAA Semifinal Against Marquette

1977: Charlotte Athletic Foundation

1978: UNC Charlotte vs University of South Florida (Intros)

1981: Mike Pratt Halftime Interview

1984: Hustleball Commercials

1984: The Flash Cards…

1985: Charlotte vs UNCA (Jeff Mullins’ First Game)

1987: Charlotte vs Kentucky (The Infamous Dinkins Shove)

1988: Byron Dinkins Anti Drug PSA

1988: Campus after the VCU Game (Part 1)

1988: Campus after the VCU Game (Part 2)

1988: Scott Fitzgibbons discussion of the Hal Wissel Era

1994?: Season Ticket Advertisement

1996: Judy Rose speaks of Flash Cards at Mullins Retirement Press Conf.

Thanks TF,

Great list.

Everyone knows where your loyalties reside! Thanks for putting this together, cool stuff.

Completely meta, but it was pretty cool to see Cone and Dalton tower from that perspective. They were in a parking lot west of Cone, with no trees or awning. Video starts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ZVmLs7wMU#t=45s

Now thats how I remember campus.

AWESOME videos. thanks for posting them TF, they’re great for us guys who weren’t around back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Even though I hate the UNCC name, the chant was pretty cool.

i love it! thanks!!!
i helped recruit a lot of those '70s guys (foster thru rose). coaches and players… friends, comrades, baby sitters. spent the week with them & watched them in MSG (all week). had four tickets in ATL for the final four (took my dad and brother). greatgreat memories.
you young dudes & dudettes don’t know what you missed. but you’ve got one hulluva ride to look forward to!!!
there ain’t nothing like it, when it’s done right!!

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:1, topic:23847”]1985: Charlotte vs UNCA (Jeff Mullins’ First Game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDEQXzzuX3Q[/quote]

:)) Some wondered what a game looked like inside the Mineshaft. We’ve come a pretty long way in 25 years.

no problem. “your” bad guys lost. “my” good guys won. :slight_smile:

good job on the videos.

The shove in the Kentucky game looks eerily similar to one a Xavier player took in the 2nd Round of the NCAA Tourney in 2009 (year?). I’ll have to find it, but it was at the end of the game also. Same scenario, a non-BCS school about to take down a BCS school and the ref says you aren’t taking their candy.

The Marquette finish gets more and more painful to watch as I get older. I was 2 1/2 when that game was played.

That ABC report makes Charlotte out to be like some podunk town no one had ever heard of.

Good stuff, TF.

i found it ironic the abc report commented more than once about certain “rival” and “established bigger” schools refusing to play us because we were too good.

These are awesome!! Any way to get these on a DVD?

anyone notice the crowd noise in our 1st round game against central michigan? the game was in indiana and it sounded like we had a huge niner crowd there. 5000 fans welcome the team at the airport. it seems we were more popular with the locals then than we are now. i doubt we had 5000 alumni in 1976 and 1977.

No doubt…Also, I loved the Jim Thacker called games. Old time Charlotteans will definitely remember him. It seemed like the majority of our games (it seemed to me atleast as a kid) were televised on WCCB, Channel 18 in Charlotte. TV package was definitely better then.

No doubt…Also, I loved the Jim Thacker called games. Old time Charlotteans will definitely remember him. It seemed like the majority of our games (it seemed to me atleast as a kid) were televised on WCCB, Channel 18 in Charlotte. TV package was definitely better then.[/quote]

Probably helped a lot that there were only 4 TV channels and 3 networks at the time. WCCB needed original programing and we had a 1 in 4 chance to get the Charlotte region TV veiwers. Now, thanks mostly to cable, we’d have a 1 in 500 chance even with a local TV broadcast partner. The drop off after Rose left killed the momentum that we could have built in the region.

I find it strange that Charlotteans were cheering for the 9ers in this clip. Aren’t 49er achievements supposed to be met with scorn and belittlement spearheaded by the local sports media?

The 94 season ticket intro featrues great footage of Jarvis Lang doing what made him famous, and OMG is that John Kilgo doing the voiceover?

Maybe not back then. At least that’s my understanding. I think this little run is what changed the attitude of the media.

OMG! This might be the best post ever! That ABC News Special Report featuring Barbara Walters talking about the “Mean Green” sent chills up my spine!

No doubt…Also, I loved the Jim Thacker called games. Old time Charlotteans will definitely remember him. It seemed like the majority of our games (it seemed to me atleast as a kid) were televised on WCCB, Channel 18 in Charlotte. TV package was definitely better then.[/quote]

And in today’s world we cannot even get mentioned in the local paper when one of our athletic programs gets ranked NUMBER 1 IN THE NATION.

No wonder some of the old-timers on here complaind so much about our modern day media coverage.