Only six campouts :-(

This SUCKS! I do understand that there are legal reasons that are limiting the number of campouts, so I’m not holding it against anyone. It sucks though, I will miss camping out for every single home game…

You should still camp out…just for fun. :smiley:

This is horrible. We aren’t even camping out for GW?!?!?!?!?!?! They could possibly be the only ranked team we play in Halton all year(possibly), also no Temple campout?

It breaks down to there only being 9 games where we could do a campout, 14 home games - 3 over break - Portland/Davidson(they are so close it would be combined) - the last game of the season(no point in camping since points wouldn’t go in effect for that game). So even though there are only NINE campouts possible(gong by the rule that they can’t have an official camp when school is closed), they choose to cut it down to six? I don’t understand the reasoning behind it at all.

Camping is the only student pre-game tradition the school has(arguably the only real tradition the whole school has regarding atheltics), seeing tents outside of the SAC meant there was a game soon. I don’t understand at all why they would cut down on the camping. If they are worried about people getting too many points, I would rather see the point value per camp lowered and the number of camps raised rather than only having 6 campouts.

I’ve been in support of the new ticket system, it has flaws but it had always done a good job of promoting activities outside of men’s basketball games. Between the other sporting events and the campouts(full schedule as we had hoped), it seemed to promote being involved with on campus activities. Now they are cutting down on the biggest student tradition we have? I think we will see record numbers of campers this year between everybody having to be out there to get a point and the Greek and Gang Green thing, why is now a good time to restrict the amount of campouts? This decision just really really confuses me. If they have an issue with getting people to do the checks, various student groups would definitely be able to pick up those 3 campouts they are leaving out.

sorry, i rambled there, if you couldn’t tell this really upsets me, a young school who had many meetings about raising school spirits and traditions takes a step like this to cut down on the most noticable tradition we have? GREAT plan…

couldnt agree more cmack. not camping for gwu, indiana, and temple is ABSURD

:angry: :fastgun: :confused: :ticked: :cuss:

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 02:09 PM [b]couldnt agree more cmack. not camping for gwu, indiana, and temple is ABSURD

:angry: :fastgun: :confused: :ticked: :cuss:[/b]

Indiana is over winter break, so I understand the legal issues with that one(well not really since we have camped out over the break before, but I’m trying to be nice).

GW is the best A10 team this year in pretty much everybody’s eyes, that game will be HUGE. Temple has the most recognizable coach in the league. I agree that we shouldn’t neccessarily base campouts around our opponants(they should be Charlotte campouts, not the “Cincy campout” or “GW campout”), but if you are going to pick and choose which dates to camp, you HAVE to include the biggest conference game of the year.

argh…they are really screwing with a good thing here, instead of taking the new system as a chance to expand camping, they restrict it to 6 games? It is mind boggling really…

Where can you find the list of the 6 campouts?

The email said they were on the site, but I cannot find the list.

I agree, we should camp out for every game anyway.

[i]Originally posted by jasonfortyniners[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 02:33 PM [b] Where can you find the list of the 6 campouts?

The email said they were on the site, but I cannot find the list.

I agree, we should camp out for every game anyway. [/b]

It was in the e-mail I got…

Miss. St, Davidson, Valpo in the fall

Xavier, Dayton, Richmond in the Spring.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 02:30 PM [b] argh...they are really screwing with a good thing here, instead of taking the new system as a chance to expand camping, they restrict it to 6 games? It is mind boggling really.... [/b]
The more I here about this new system the more I really have issues with it. Wow, now they are going to restrict campouts and they didn't even pick the big games ie Indiana, GW, etc.

I am really glad to be graduating.

This fits in well with the rest of the system.

If the idea is to give more people a chance to get in over the year, and you weight campouts so much more heavily, someone who can’t make a commitment to camp out isn’t going to be effected as greatly.

If nothing else, I’m glad this is getting people out to other sporting events. When I lived in Holshouser, we made it to every soccer game, rugby matches, tennis matches, volleyball (only missed two in the first two years of school), we just pretty much hit everything we could when we could. If people come out and cheer for our team in a sport they don’t really care as much about, it gets them to have more pride in our university overall.

I saw a lot of things camping out, the courtyard on fire, a tent so big it took up the entire area around the ticket office, matas sucking ass at March Madness, tents dwindle from 5 to 4 to 2 to 1 and then back up to 3, then an explosion of tents. All I can say is, if you guys take the time to make your campouts better, it can be a lot more fun. The best campouts were the ones when we watched the Superbowl, or cooked out, watched movies, played video games, etc. I think Moss2k is the longest active camper right now, and he can attest, it can get pretty bad out there. He was the only other trooper during the dark ages.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Oct 18 2005, 03:42 PM [b]This fits in well with the rest of the system.

If the idea is to give more people a chance to get in over the year, and you weight campouts so much more heavily, someone who can’t make a commitment to camp out isn’t going to be effected as greatly.

[/b]

I believe this is the idea behind the ticket office’s decision. But I am arguing that I would rather have campouts for every game possible at a lower point value than cutting it down to 6 campouts. Right now a camp is 4 points, cut that down to 3 and set up all 9 campouts possible and the difference in the end is only 3 extra points.

This year you could get something like 32 points from soccer and volleyball games, I think allowing about that same amount for all of the camps would be a good idea. The people who ONLY go to the other sporting events or ONLY camp, you should probably be on about the same level. Also keep in mind that the camp points will only effect a few games really. If somebody gets 20-25 points from other events, the camper-only group would be spending the entire basketball season trying to catch up to the people who only went to other events and didn’t camp. If somebody has 20, the campers will finally catch up to them on the last campout of the year(Richmond) and get better seats for a whole THREE games.

Campouts are weighted more, but they won’t help as much for the whole season. Going to a few fall sports in October will be much more valuable to your year-long seats than camping out in February.

Basically, I think they are overestimating the possibility of campers coming in and jumping over everybody else for the best tickets. There are at least 25 people with at least 14 points right now, if someone only camps, they will not catch any of these people until late-January.

Presumably, the fall sport goers would also go to women’s basketball games in the winter.

Cant they do the games over break on the old system…first come first serve and then continue with the new system after the break? I’m not real familiar with how it all works but It sounds like this way everyone can be happy.

Update, there will be a campout for the George Washington game, so a total of 7. Still don’t understand why they can’t just do all 9 possible, hopefully they will step up and add the last two. I don’t know what is holding them back from doing all of them. Can’t do Indiana, Ashville or Rhode Island because IU is during finals and the other two are over break(school closed). Then can’t do Duquesne because it’s the last game, the points wouldn’t do anything. There are still two out there (Temple & St. Louis) that are (as of now) not going to be worth any points.

[b]Cant they do the games over break on the old system...first come first serve and then continue with the new system after the break? I'm not real familiar with how it all works but It sounds like this way everyone can be happy. [/b]

if they did old system over break, then new system, then that would defeat the purpose of the online system. students who have collected points and attended most all of the games wont be rewarded like they were promised.

I say they do it for every game but the conflict with Port/Davidson and the last game. If its over break or during exams, some people cant make it, true. But some people cant make it for GW, or for temple. They are killing a tradition, but hopefully they have an idea of building a new one…