open office software?

anyone use openoffice software? its the free download that replaces Word and Excel.

good bad?

http://why.openoffice.org/

[QUOTE=metro;412518]anyone use openoffice software? its the free download that replaces Word and Excel.

good bad?[/QUOTE]

Its decent, you can open any word or excel document with it, but some programs wont upload it if they require word/excel documents. Its worth not spending the money on the Microsoft package though.

I use the google docs at home since I don’t have Microsoft office at home. It is free and works great with my gmail account.

you can open .doc files and save files as .doc, however it will not open the .docx files that office 2007 uses now. It’s really good for free software, the only thing I don’t like about it is it doesn’t have the thesaurus like Word. I liked being able to click on a word and replace it with a different word so I didn’t repeat myself again and again.

I use it. I’ve never had a problem with it. You can save documents in the Microsoft format and they will be fine. You can move documents between Microsoft and OpenOffice pretty seemlessly, though sometimes you may lose some formatting.

Most of the commands are the same, so it is very easy to get used to. If you start using it, you’ll like it. It is pretty much the same except for the price tag.

you can open .doc files and save files as .doc, however it will not open the .docx files that office 2007 uses now. It's really good for free software, the only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have the thesaurus like Word. I liked being able to click on a word and replace it with a different word so I didn't repeat myself again and again.

Be careful with the thesaurus…i got caught doing that in school and it hurt my grade on that paper.

I use it on my macbook and it works fine for me.

Open Office is good, especially if needing to save in lwp, for some dinosaurs that have not breeched the 21st century.

But the feel is a little tough if you are engrained into Microsoft’s version.

blah, blah, techie, blah, blah.
Normal people just use what’s on the computer, & don’t understand the details.

blah, blah, techie, blah, blah. Normal people just use what's on the computer, & don't understand the details.

Except it has to get on your computer in the first place. :tongue:

Whatever came with the computer.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;412550]Whatever came with the computer.[/QUOTE]

Mine came with Microsoft, but only a trial version. which is why I switched to open office

Whatever came with the computer.
my computer came with Microsoft Works (awful) and Office, but office expires after 30 days, and I am not paying for it

so far I like OpenOffice, I guess wanted to stick it to Microsoft

There are a lot of attachments you can add to it as well. It’s a community project so users contribute stuff all the time. I don’t have much experience with any of that though.

Only used it on a limited basis, but it seems fine. I’m only using MS Office on my machine because I was given a free copy with a computer purchase 8 years ago. Open source is almost never as smooth as pay products, but if you spend even a short amount of time with them you will get used to them and won’t miss the pay product.

We use it at work all the time. Never have aproblem with it. Actually, I dont see any difference between it and word.

My youngest sister introduced me to Open Office. She had deleted her Microsoft Office off of her laptop and told me that her and her friends at college never used MS Office and all used the free software.

At home, I just have Open Office and have yet to have an issue. At work, I have both. I’ll use Word 'cause I’m most used to it … but even at work I’ll prefer using the Open Office spreadsheet to using Excel.

Pasting stuff into the spreadsheet cells is so much easier on Open Office. Like, I could go onto a website like kenpom.com and copy everything, paste special, and I can tell it where to draw the column lines so that all the data gets pasted exactly how I want it. Like, I could draw the lines so that the school name will list in Column A on my spreadsheet and - as long as I draw the line correctly - it won’t matter if the school’s name is one, two, or three words long in length. For real work, it has come in handy for me a few times.

I could never get Excel to do something like that for me - Excel usually pastes everything into a single cell.