Operation Hardwood II

Could we perhaps tag along and see if Lutz and Gary Williams will be roomies on the trip?

[I][B]The USO and AFE Host Basketball Tournament for Service Members in the Persian Gulf [/B]
ARLINGTON, Va. – The USO and Armed Forces Entertainment (AFE) are again sending top NCAA basketball coaches and sports personalities on a tour to the Persian Gulf region May 23-29, 2006. During the tour, called “Operation Hardwood II,” the participants will coach military basketball teams featuring the best military players who will compete in a championship tournament.

Fox Sports broadcaster Leeann Tweeden also is accompanying “Operation Hardwood” on her 8th USO/AFE tour. Support for Operation Hardwood II is being provided by NIKE.

The tour participants include:
• Rick Barnes, University of Texas
• Jay Bilas, ESPN commentator and former Duke University player
• Jim Crews, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
• Mark Gottfried, University of Alabama
• Tom Izzo, Michigan State University
• Billy Lange, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
• Bobby Lutz, University of North Carolina, Charlotte
• Reggie Minton, NCAA
• Dave Odom, University of South Carolina
• Kelvin Sampson, University of Indiana
• Tubby Smith, University of Kentucky
• Gary Williams, University of Maryland

Six of the participants – Gottfried, Odom, Lutz, Izzo, Sampson and Bilas – are veterans of Operation Hardwood I and were inspired to become involved again on this year’s tour. This tour continues the USO tradition of bringing professional athletes and sports-related events to troops serving far from home. Last year, NBA Legends Artis Gilmore and Darryl Dawkins visited military personnel serving in Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.[/I]

Hopefully Lutz gets the loaded squad this year.

Great to see Lutz is respected this much throughout the coaching community to be asked to come again.

kudos to any coach who would give his time to this effort. especially lutz.

[QUOTE=Threemire09;171919]Great to see Lutz is respected this much throughout the coaching community to be asked to come again.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if he’s respected so much as he has a really good connection, Jay Bilas
good to have friends in high places.

Good news! I’m glad to go to a school where our coach cares enough about our country to do these types of things. Good stuff!!