OT: App State turns down new stadium idea

Dream. Build. Fulfill., GoASU.com

[SIZE=2]New stadium too costly for Appalachian, Chancellor Peacock says ASU will keep upgrading facilities
By Tommy Bowman, Winston-Salem Journal Reporter
February 9, 2005

Cost was a significant factor in Appalachian State’s decision to stay put and upgrade existing football facilities at Kidd Brewer Stadium rather than build a new stadium off campus, Chancellor Kenneth Peacock said yesterday.

Part of a 60-acre tract acquired by the university last July was a viable site for a new stadium, but projected cost for construction was $70-75 million, Peacock said.

“I had wondered whether we could get some funding from the state to help us under an umbrella of economic development,” Peacock said. “I do think an athletic program strengthens an economy by bringing people in.”

But, Peacock said, he felt more of a need to focus an appeal for state funding for a college of education building to replace Duncan Hall as well as money for a new health-care initiative. ASU has plans to increase its output of teachers as well as begin a nursing program.

“To say (to the state) ‘I also want money for a stadium’ could break the academic focus that is critical to us,” Peacock said. “You have limited funds that you’re dealing with on the state level and I just want to make sure we get funds available for the greatest needs that we have.”

Plans will now proceed with a $32 million plan for athletics-facilities enhancement, to include stadium renovation and expansion from 16,650 to 21,500 seats as well as replacement of Owens Field House.

Funding for a new 77,000-square-foot athletics center to include offices, locker rooms and training rooms for all sports will come from a $17 million allocation of student fees. Stadium renovation and expansion is to be covered by $15 million in private donations.

The proposed site for a new stadium was analyzed by an architect in December and would have worked, Peacock said.

“Any piece of property like that is going to have some challenges to it, but it was viable and would have been a beautiful location for a stadium,” Peacock said. "And it would have been accessible from (U.S.) 421, although it wouldn’t have been for fans from 321.

“I also heard from students who liked the stadium where it is, where they can walk to the games. And my philosophy is always to hear the students’ voice.”

Peacock said that the decision not to move “made as many people happy as it made unhappy.”

“It was pretty level - in terms of getting five good reasons for moving and five good reasons why we should not,” Peacock said.

Peacock said that ideas to address space and parking issues at Kidd Brewer Stadium will be explored.

“When we take Duncan Hall down (across from Kidd Brewer Stadium), that can become a green-space park area, offer tailgating opportunities plus provide more parking,” Peacock said. “The game-day experience is important. We already have a great setting of our stadium, and you like for your alums to come back and see the campus and the great changes that have and are taking place.”

Peacock said that a date has not been set for the demolition of Owens Field House and beginning of new construction and renovation, which was originally scheduled to start after last football season. Peacock said that he will meet with coaches and athletics staff to determine a start date, and said that it is possible that no changes will occur until after next season. “I don’t want it to be too disruptive,” Peacock said.

ASU announced Monday that a search committee is in place to hire a new athletics director to replace Roachel Laney, who resigned in November. Peacock said that he expects that the search will take about two months.

“When we get our new AD appointed we will be anxious to sit down and work with that person and say let’s develop a long-range plan for athletics,” Peacock said.

Linda Robinson, a former women’s basketball coach and ASU’s equity director, is serving as interim athletics director and said that she is interested in the job on a permanent basis. Robinson said that she is enjoying the job and being back with the athletics-department staff.

“I think we’ve meshed beautifully and we’re real excited about making something good much greater,” she said. “We’re all taking our mission so seriously, what we’ve been entrusted with. We know we’re a transition team but in order to make some things happen and set our focus we’re looking at the full-time.”

In regard to continued speculation that ASU’s athletics future might include a move from I-AA to I-A football, Peacock, who became chancellor last July, said: "I do not have plans at this point to even bring up a subject about I-A, but I would never want to make a decision to prevent anything on campus from moving up.

“I think that Appalachian is ready for new levels of excellence, be it in academics, athletics and the arts.”

ASU adopted a five-year strategic plan in 2000 to work toward moving from Division I-AA to Division I-A football.

“A lot of schools that have gone I-A have found it a rough road, but I’m never opposed of any discussion about moving up,” Peacock said.

In terms of his overall athletics “vision,” Peacock said: “I am a person who is not by nature athletically inclined and in due process I’ve said that if you’re looking for a coach or a point guard, I’m not your guy. But neither do I sing opera nor do I teach organic chemistry but I greatly admire people who do. Athletics enrich a university experience and I’m ready to give it some time and energy and resources because it will strengthen our entire university.”[/SIZE]

um, I thought the new stadium was a done deal. Good decision though, they just needed to update the one they have.

sorry for the bump, but I came across this thread at the bottom of another thread I was looking at.

[QUOTE=HP49er;100587]Dream. Build. Fulfill., GoASU.com

“I had wondered whether we could get some funding from the state to help us under an umbrella of economic development,” Peacock said. “I do think an athletic program strengthens an economy by bringing people in.”

“To say (to the state) ‘I also want money for a stadium’ could break the academic focus that is critical to us,” Peacock said. “You have limited funds that you’re dealing with on the state level and I just want to make sure we get funds available for the greatest needs that we have.”

Plans will now proceed with a $32 million plan for athletics-facilities enhancement, to include stadium renovation and expansion from 16,650 to 21,500 seats as well as replacement of Owens Field House.

Funding for a new 77,000-square-foot athletics center to include offices, locker rooms and training rooms for all sports will come from a $17 million allocation of student fees. Stadium renovation and expansion is to be covered by $15 million in private donations.[/QUOTE]

Is this correct? Student fees paying for athletics???

[QUOTE]
In regard to continued speculation that ASU’s athletics future might include a move from I-AA to I-A football, Peacock, who became chancellor last July, said: "I do not have plans at this point to even bring up a subject about I-A, but I would never want to make a decision to prevent anything on campus from moving up.

“I think that Appalachian is ready for new levels of excellence, be it in academics, athletics and the arts.”

ASU adopted a five-year strategic plan in 2000 to work toward moving from Division I-AA to Division I-A football.

“A lot of schools that have gone I-A have found it a rough road, but I’m never opposed of any discussion about moving up,” Peacock said.

In terms of his overall athletics “vision,” Peacock said: “I am a person who is not by nature athletically inclined and in due process I’ve said that if you’re looking for a coach or a point guard, I’m not your guy. But neither do I sing opera nor do I teach organic chemistry but I greatly admire people who do. Athletics enrich a university experience and I’m ready to give it some time and energy and resources because it will strengthen our entire university.”
[/QUOTE]

Nice words coming from the Chancellor…

A Chancellor with vision?? Where can we get of of those??? Drool…

so, for the first time ever, ive actually envied something app state has going on

jeez.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;330441]Is this correct? Student fees paying for athletics???[/QUOTE]

i am paying 1134 (which if you type in a scientific calculator and then flip upside down it says “hell”, random side note…) dollars a semester in student fees. from what i understand about 265 of it is for athletics. we also have a book rental fee too. which charlotte didn’t have.

and on top of that if i do something similar to the 49er account. where i put money on a card and use it like a debit card. whatever is left on that card at the end of the semester also goes to athletic fund. so they hit you twice if you are unaware of what is going on.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;330451]A Chancellor with vision?? Where can we get of of those??? Drool…[/QUOTE]

For sure!!!

[URL]http://goasu.com/testmedia/photo/1142/?action=0e7cd94e[/URL]