OT: Big House has gone to the Big House

Clarence ā€œBig Houseā€ Gaines, 1923-2005
47 seasons: 828 wins, 446 losses
17 conference championships
1967 Division II National Championshp, 31-1
1982 Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame inductee

One of the great teachers is gone, Clearence ā€œBig Houseā€ Gaines the coach at Winston-Salem State for 47 seasons passed away last night of a stroke at age 81. He was a great man and one I got to be around a good bit during my days of keeping basketball stats at High Point Andrews. He coached NBA great Earl ā€œThe Pearlā€ Monroe. Andrewsā€™ coach, George Foree, also played for him. Coach Foree, who died several years ago, was the initial influence to get me to attend UNCC and keep stats for the 49ers.

Big House came to a lot of our high school games and was always welcome in the locker room.

[SIZE=3]Goodbye Big House![/SIZE]

Loss of a Giant, Winston-Salem Journal

Clarence ā€œBig Houseā€ Gaines, longtime basketball coach at Winston-Salem State University, was honored at a benefit dinner at the Adamā€™s Mark Hotel November 12, 2004. (Journal Photo by Ted Richardson)

Clarence ā€œBig Houseā€ Gaines, former coach of the Rams, makes his appearance at the WFU vs. WSSU basketball game at Joel Coliseum November 11, 2004. (Journal Photo by Ted Richardson)

Clarence ā€œBig Houseā€ Gaines waves to the crowd after presenting the ball for the WFU vs. WSSU game at Joel Coliseum. (Journal Photo by Ted Richardson)

Nice tribute, HP!