OT: Coach K a Laker?

HeraldSun.com: Duke AD: Lakers, Krzyzewski in discussion on coaching vacancy

After all the whining from Coach K in the Big O this week, perhaps heā€™s thinking if ya canā€™t beat 'em, then join 'em!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

There is a Duke press conference at 5:45 ET as per ESPN News. Apparently, the AD is going to address this. Stay tuned.

Can you blame him? Itā€™s a competitive move. Something Phil Jackson wouldnā€™t know sh*t about since heā€™s never really challenged himself as a coach. Oh wait, I forgot the CBA.

I will be absolutely shocked if he goesā€¦

But if he does, which of the assistants would replace him? I guess Johnny Dawkins.

Noā€¦Coach K donā€™t go to the Evil NBA Empire. This would be the 2nd worst possible move for me next to Bobby going to UNC.

Why the ā€˜fā€™ does Duke hold a press conference hust to say that they are talking??? Why not just make a statement to ESPN rather than hold a conference. I hate DUKE!

And I hope he does leave.

[i]Originally posted by NinerUpNorth[/i]@Jul 1 2004, 09:28 PM [b] I guess Johnny Dawkins. [/b]
No, then there wouldn't be anyone to carry his golf bag.
[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jul 1 2004, 04:10 PM [b] After all the whining from Coach K in the Big O this week, perhaps he's thinking if ya can't beat 'em, then join 'em!!! :rolleyes: :lol: [/b]
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll add...he'll be the biggest hypocrite in the sport of basketball if he does it. He bitches and complains if it hurts him. His tune will soon change. He'll recruit the high schoolers just like he did at Duke. No learning curve required. What a joke!!!

Dont laugh to soon, he isnt gone yet. He has his family and health to think about. With the stress of a 180 game season with the big headed thugs of the NBAā€¦ just ask another xDuke Coach about the pros (Spurrier). Besides if he does go, Dukes next coach will probably have just as many national championships as Roy Williams and Bobby Lutz combined.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Jul 1 2004, 11:10 PM [b] With the stress of a 180 game season with the big headed thugs of the NBA... [/b]
Not quite that many, dude.
[b][b]SI.com[/b]: What did you think of the press conference Duke AD Joe Alleva held on Thursday, in which he confirmed an earlier press release that Coach K and the Lakers were in "serious discussions"?

Davis: It was a farce. There was no need to have a press conference to acknowledge what youā€™ve already said in a press release. You only need to hold a press conference when somebodyā€™s leaving.

I think it may have been a gesture, on Allevaā€™s part, to demonstrate to Coach K how much they want him to stay, but I think it was unnecessary. Itā€™s hard to tell what Duke was thinking.[/b]

My sentiments exactly. I hate Duke.

What he would make a year, endorsements included, would likely be 8 figures. But, I honestly donā€™t believe heā€™ll make the jump. Weā€™ll get a teary-eyed press conference with K expressing his love for Duke and college basketball, despite losing recruits early. Just donā€™t see him making the jump.

The Lakers are offering to make him the highest paid coach in sports. Not easy to turn down!

K to the Lakers would be the second coming of Patino to the Celtics. The Kings are really, really excited about K coming to Cali.

The Pigs that are the NCAA can fix this mess by getting real with college athleteā€™s and quit pretending this is the sixties.

Has anyone bothered to check on Dukie V? This could be what sends him over the edge, wellā€¦further over the edge.

Poor guy would probably take the big leap off cameron indoor.

Rumored at 40 mil over 6 years. I just donā€™t see him doing it. It would go against everything he ā€œstands forā€. He would in essence be doing the same thing the kids are doing. I hope he gets royally slammed by the media if he does it.

Either way, I think college basketball gains by it. It will make the NCAA people take notice. They may start passing some of those rule changes (ie. recruiting, summer contact, etc) that the coaches have been pushing.

From todayā€™s USA Today:

"Duke president Richard Brodhead told The Associated Press he and Alleva had dinner with Krzyzewski on Tuesday, after Brodhead became aware that the coach had talked with the Lakers.

Brodhead said he didnā€™t know if the Lakers offered Krzyzewski the job.

ā€œIf he has the offer, heā€™s going to have a big decision before him,ā€ said Brodhead, who officially took office as Dukeā€™s president Thursday, succeeding Nan Keohane."

It sure didnā€™t take long for Mr. Brodhead to have a possible personnel issue. Maybe Kā€™s upset he wasnā€™t named President. :lol:

Great article by Pat Forde.

He makes fun of all the things most of us hate about Duke, but heā€™s got a great point.

Forde Article

No Duhon, Deng, or Livingston will make someone reconsider. Since heā€™s out of aces I guess heā€™s going to fold. When the going gets tough, the weak jump to the NBA? Put your hands together for Coach Kry. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Duke fans today at the office - :o :frowning: :unsure: :argue: :eek: :scared: :pout:

Other ACC Schoolā€™s fanā€™s today - :smiley: :thumbsup: :santa: :toast: :grin: :clap:

Thought it was funny on the MSP this morning when GWill spoke about the transition for Coach K and wondered how K would adjust when he canā€™t get Kareem Rush to slap the floor on defense or doesnā€™t have Jack Nicholson & Diane Cannon camping out in tents for tickets.

Totally different animal when you go from coaching kids who are playing to do nothing more than win, to coaching a bunch of egos who are making 6 figures a year. Iā€™m sure the Tarhole fans are hoping he goes, though beating Duke without Coach K is kind of liking beating the Chicago Bulls after the Jordan, Pippen and Phil Jackson years. Not much to brag about even though Duke will still recruit good players.