OT: Duke football in trouble?

Here's another:

Another dated article highlighting some Duke Basketball mishaps academically-

http://www.slate.com/id/101920/

So from 1995-current you found 3 players and a sub-par SAT score to back it up compared to all the people that have passed through the program. Nobody is saying they’re all in school to be nuclear physicists, in fact I rarely see any athlete at any school who is majoring in anything that is remotely difficult. They do have a high graduation rate, and some of the players that have left early recently actually graduated within 3 years. If anything its the school’s image that puts the pressure on athletes. It’s not easy for any athlete to balance practice, training, games, classes, projects, and exams. Why are you so bitter to bring down their name? So what if they have athletes having trouble living up to their academic standards? If I’m correct our standards are less and we have/had players who find difficulty living up to that. And about class attendance… I’ve had classes with a number of our players over the years and I can promise you they were rarely there or came in late, it happens everywhere so don’t be so surprised to see it happening there.

I never said they were geniuses, and I only heard them talk about basketball, not physics. I said they seemed intelligent.
Does Duke take exceptions to its general admissions policies among basketball players? Sure, just like most every other school, excepting the Ivy’s and Davidson and probably some others (Rice?). My point was, in basketball, to be competitive, there might be one true “exception,” which I would define as a person not really ready to do the work in any major, on Duke’s campus at any one time, and there have been some, like Avery, who chose not to do the work. But in football, more players are required, and if you cut the football pie into the slice capable of being admitted to Duke solely on their academic merits, they’d have a hard time fielding a team. There have to be some lower standards for great athletes at most institutions, just as there would be for a prodigal musician or actor, etc., who might be average in some other way academically.
But, as you said, they’re no angels, at least not all of them.

I don't know about you guys, but I fear that this is something else that Judy and the gang can use against Charlotte starting a football team. If Dook lowers it's standards and allows football to get better, then they will say "football will hurt our academics;" If Dook gets rid of football, they can say, "See, Duke doesn't have football because they are an intelligent, high academic standards school. That is the direction Charlotte should go." I know that we should not be compared to Dook in academics, or sports for that matter (well maybe football, since we don't have a team and um... all they really have are uniforms), but I can see Judy and the other nay-sayers stooping to that level. Anyone else get this feeling in your gut?

Not really. I don’t think we would have a problem admitting football players. The admissions standards at UNCC are not exactly high. I know a girl that just transferred in this semester and is a complete moron. Seriously. She probably would tell you that Mexico is the 51st state.

My point is that Duke’s standards are very high. Ours are low. If you believe the dumb jock argument, we would not have to lower our admissions standards the way Duke would. I can’t imagine football players could be much dumber than my friend. They do have to memorize a playbook, after all.