OT: If we could get a new Mens Bball Coach who?

[i]Originally posted by What the ?[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 11:07 AM [b] You like McKillop? Pull for Davidson! You like Melvin? Left the school for money! How long will he stay if the money comes calling again. How'd he do at A&M? He lost to Baylor last year. Same Baylor who had one player kill another and the best players transferred...still Beat A & M. The fact that this is being discussed is mind blowing. Lutz is the best coach Charlotte has ever had....ever. I hope he doesn't read this garbage..

For pino jrā€¦try this website Christmas Eveā€¦ www.Youraloser.com [/b]

:toast:

Maybe Iā€™m being picky, but I think you mean www.youREaloser.comā€¦get your homonyms straight when youā€™re (not your) dealing with me buddy!

[i]Originally posted by Pino Pipes Jr.[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 10:19 AM [b] Finally a thread that brings a tear to my eye...Check out [url]www.firelutz.com[/url] on Christmas Eve for a very special holiday message! [/b]
F'ing Infidel!!!
[i]Originally posted by What the ?[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 11:07 AM [b] Lutz is the best coach Charlotte has ever had....ever. [/b]
Not quite sure that I'm willing to go this far.

Some guys named Rose and Mullins come to mind.

However, I am willing to accept the fact 98-99% of the other people that would accept the HC position at Charlotte would pull a ā€œMelvin Watkinsā€ at the 1st opportunity.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante+Dec 21 2004, 12:38 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SilvioDante @ Dec 21 2004, 12:38 PM)

Since I went to school at Charlotte ('97), Iā€™ve only seen the basketball program rise in both level of play, recruits, success and national attention.
Are we as good as possible? Probably not. Have we blown numerous opportunities to take a step towards being an elite program or having a deep run in the tournament? Probably.
But I seriously canā€™t even think what justification youā€™d have for wanting to get rid of Lutz. Is it because he ā€œcanā€™t take us to the next levelā€? If thatā€™s the case, give me one example of a coach who came into a similar situation as ours and brought that team back to the forefront of college basketball.
Skip Prosser? Maybe. But being in the ACC and having a solid history has a lot to do with that. Any other examples out there?

I hope Coach Lutz is our coach for a long time. I also hope we can do better than one-and-done in the NCAAs, but Iā€™m confident in our head coach and know we can get there.

Now, if you just want to play a fantasy game and imagine you had an infinite supply of cash to bring in a new coach, I wouldnā€™t mind seeing Steve Lavin on our bench, just to see what he could do (and what bringing in a ā€œnameā€ might provide). But Iā€™m in no hurry to get rid of Lutz and right now, thereā€™s hardly anyone I can think of that Iā€™d seriously want to replace him with. We are 6-2, arenā€™t we?

[i]Originally posted by Pino Pipes Jr.[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 11:25 AM [b] Maybe I'm being picky, but I think you mean [url]www.youREaloser.com...get[/url] your homonyms straight when you're (not your) dealing with me buddy! [/b]
Worry about the grammar on that half-baked webpage of yours first.
[i]Originally posted by Florida49er[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 12:14 PM [b] ... give me one example of a coach who came into a similar situation as ours and brought that team back to the forefront of college basketball. Skip Prosser? Maybe. [/b]
As much as I hate to admit it, Calipari at UMass. Yeah the whole thing with Marcus Camby and Cal leaving when he did casts a shadow, but he took that program from the depths of hell to the Final Four. Aside from maybe Wissell-ball, we were never quite as bad as UMass was before Cal got there.

If we could only hit our FTā€™s, this topic wouldnā€™t exist.

Weā€™ve danced in 4 of 6 of Bobbyā€™s years, beat 3 teams in the top ten last year, won 2 CUSA tourney, won two games in the dance, sent a lottery pick to the NBA and stepped up recruiting and national attention.
We beat 3 teams in the top ten last year, won 10 games on the road.

Why would we bring in a young up and comer (i.e. Capel at VCU) who will use this school to get to Iowa or Clemson. Bobby wants to be here.

The program may be maxed out. We may have peaked, but there is no coach out there who could have built up what heā€™s been dealt like Bobby.

In 1998 we were competing for recruits with Cen. Conn St. and UM-BC. Now were competing with Uconn and Maryland.

Without Bobby, we are USF or UMass.

Tintin

Simple answer: No one.

IMO, those that want Lutz fired have no idea what difficulties we will face trying to find a reputable coach.

Watkinsā€¦no wayā€¦left us for more money. Lost some Niner luster in my opinion.
Lavinā€¦under constant scrutiny at UCLA.
Dohertyā€¦you are kidding, right? Look what happended to him at UNC-CH. :blink:

Bottom lineā€¦we donā€™t have the money to hire a big name coachā€¦who may not help us anyway. And, as everyone has said, he wonā€™t stay here very long with any success. The program has come a LONG way since the days of the old metro conference. (Was not aware of Charlotte during the SunBelt years)

I like Lutz for many reasons. That doesnā€™t mean I agree with everything he does or all of the plays he calls. However, a Charlotte grad, who loves the school, wants to succeed, and has proven that he can winā€¦well firing him would be a big mistake.

Bobby Lutz is the man. I could understand if heā€™s been here for 25 years or something with nothing to show for it. We are becoming a national power, slowly yes, in the next few years we are going to have a breakout season and Charlotte will be respected with the likes of DUKE and Carolinaā€¦and remember theres only so much Bobby can do, he canā€™t go on the court and shoot freethrows. Bobbyā€™s building a tradition, we need to stand up behind him and our TEAM and cheer. Talking about who we want as a coach more? F#$k that! Sometimes I wonder who the better fans are, the ones that go to all the games, or the ones who go to all the games then come on here and blame Bobby and Goldusters? and whoever else. GO NINERS GO BOBBY, I have faith in him and our team.

Now ok, Iā€™m just waiting for someone to say ā€œHAHA your only a sophmoreā€ or ā€œyou have no idea what your talking about.ā€ Whatever. Iā€™m a CHARLOTTE 49er fan which makes me a fan of our basketball team and our caoch, NO MATTER WHAT.

[i]Originally posted by UpState49er[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 12:40 PM [b] If we could only hit our FT's, this topic wouldn't exist. [/b]
Best post on this thread. Lutz cannot shoot 'em for them.

The FT statement is dead on.

The whole thread is ridiculous though. And I hope the irony of IU fans syaing that they wished they had Lutz on their sideline is not lost to those few idiots who are constantly calling for his head.

Iā€™ve never understood the total polarity of people on a message board. You either have to love everything Bobby does or want him dead and gone. The extremism is absurd.

Heā€™s my coach though. Will be as long as he wants to be. And thatā€™s my back pocket talking.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 01:24 PM [b] And I hope the irony of IU fans syaing that they wished they had Lutz on their sideline is not lost to those few idiots who are constantly calling for his head. [/b]
Really? Can you post the link? I'd like to read that.
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 11:47 AM [b]I love coach Mullins, but if you look objectively at the records I think you'd have to but Bobby ahead of of him. [/b]
According to my sources, basketball was nearly DEAD at UNCC when Mullins came in. He resurrected the program and made it worthwhile for someone like Lutz to push it over the top.

Its seems to me that basketball has improved under both coaches. However, getting to .500 in the early Mullins years was a hellova accomplishment.

Being a .500 team in the early Lutz years wouldā€™ve been a disappointment.

[b]We are becoming a national power, slowly yes, in the next few years we are going to have a breakout season and Charlotte will be respected with the likes of DUKE and Carolina[/b]

I admire your enthusiasm, and love that you back the team so ardently, however there is nothing that demonstrates this. Worse, nextyearism has become the ism of choice amongst Niner fans. Thatā€™s why people get upset with Lutz. I like the guy. I think heā€™s a quality person. I think heā€™s done a stellar job of bringing in the kind of recruits it takes to take a program to the next level. Where my frustration lies is that we seem to have carryover issues. From one season to the next. These are the type that concern me, and make me think we have a stubborn coach. We havenā€™t had a good defensive squad since Bobbyā€™s first year; mainly Galen, Kelvin, and Tremaine (who played out of position).

Things that concern me that I feel like Iā€™ve been concerned about for years:
Inability to close out opponents when carrying a substantial lead. Examples are Indiana twice (at IU more excuseable than at Halton), St Louis on the road last year (We were up 8 with 2 minutes to go. Look at the percentage of their final score they acheived in the last two minutes, itā€™s frightening.) Alabama and Rutgers at home this year. Iā€™m just picking out a few that really bug me, particular SLU, Alabama, and Rutgers because they share the common theme of poor defense and free throw shooting at the end of games.

I hate having a crappy defensive teamā€¦ particularly the perimeter which coach ironically felt was a strong point on this team. I disagree. I hate wild three point shots being attempted without recourse. ā€¦ Brendan and Demon typified that.

The freedom of our game plans is very attractive to recruits, and key to Bobbyā€™s success in getting winners here. But itā€™s a double-edged sword that winds up in our gut when it matters most far too often.

Rick Majerus is still available. Could we reserve a seat for him?

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Dec 21 2004, 02:21 PM [b] Could we reserve a seat for him? [/b]
[b]One[/b] seat?

Didnā€™t he quit USC for health reasons? Jeez Rick, have a salad every once in a while.