OT: Minnesota student killed when goalpost toppled

Wow, this is really tragic. It was only a matter time before it happened though.
This could happen with storming the court too - someone could easily be trampled.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2201014

So a small liberal arts college of 1,700 students has a football team, and a booming Charlotte college of 20,000+ doesen’t.

Ouch. Burn.

Prayers are with him. No doubt a horrible tragic incident.

[i]Originally posted by gotLutz[/i]@Oct 23 2005, 12:20 AM [b] So a small liberal arts college of 1,700 students has a football team, and a booming Charlotte college of 20,000+ doesen't. [/b]
Only about 1,000 students were at the game and they're even moving into a new facility next season.

I can hear it now… Judy saying part of the reason we do not pursue football is to lessen the chance that an innocent student could be hurt by a goal post. Excuses such as this seem to be the norm.

[b] So a small liberal arts college of 1,700 students has a football team, and a booming Charlotte college of 20,000+ doesen't.[/b]

Once again leadership makes a huge difference. Obviously this small school WANTS football and makes it happen.

I’m not making excuses, because I would love to have football. I think we need to get all of our programs up to par (and fully fund their scholarships), then start a drive for football.

But, the reason this school can have football is about as easy as your high school having football. Many high schools have about the same # of students that this college has.

I have no clue what the real numbers are, but the level of funding required for this level of competition is probably about the same as required for a high school.

Sure, we have about 12x the number of students, but I would guess our football program would cost many times that.

Making the situation even worse, the guy killed was a member of the men’s hoops team too.