OT: Monitor / TV Help

I am looking to upgrade my current computer and am interested in getting a LCD monitor.

What I am really interested in is getting a monitor for my computer that can double as a TV (hooked up the a digital cable box) and can utilize picture in picture with cable tv and internet surfing (if this is even possible).

Maximum size for me is probably a 27 inch, but I really don’t know what it out there.

Any help from anyone on the board would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I’ve been looking into this as well. You can buy a regular flat panel LCD Tv and hook your computer up to it also, but when you do this the image gets blown up to fit the size of the tv screen so its not crystal clear. You may have to get a computer monitor (flat screen) that has a tv tuner built into it. I want to do the same thing, and I would like a 32’’ screen so if anyone knows anything pass it on.

For the PIP, you would have to get a monitor with two tuners so that you could surf the net and watch tv at the same time. Many tv’s have this, but they are usually the more expensive models. Example: my tv came with either one or 2 tuners, but the extra tuner cost an extra $400. It can be done, though, since the computer will be plugged into one input and the cable will be another. You just have to get a good video card in your computer. I have a computer hooked up to my tv as an MP3 server (it’s hooked up to video 1 and the cable is HDMI, but could easily be s-video).

If I were you, I would buy a TV monitor, rather than a computer monitor. The TV monitor will have a better picture with better resolution, remote, etc.

As for the picture size, that can be adjusted using the aspect ratio, which usually has three options: zoom, justified, or stretch. I find that the justified option is the best, but you can always leave it regular size.

If you have other questions, just post in here and I’ll do my best to answer the questions…used to be an a/v salesman a few years back.

Buy a Dell 2005fpw or 2405fpw and a tv tuner card. Much cheaper. You also to get to be like me. Actually, that’s a minus. Ignore that part. My bad.

will this model work?

[URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/SYNTAX-OLEVIA-KOLIN-32-LCD-FLAT-PANEL-TV-MONITOR-HDTV_W0QQitemZ140019155427QQihZ004QQcategoryZ61400QQcmdZViewItem][COLOR=black]http://cgi.ebay.com/SYNTAX-OLEVIA-KOLIN-32-LCD-FLAT-PANEL-TV-MONITOR-HDTV_W0QQitemZ140019155427QQihZ004QQcategoryZ61400QQcmdZViewItem[/COLOR][/URL]

I have never heard of that brand. I am always skeptical of brands I don’t know because what if you need to make a warranty claim? Where is the company? Will they still be in business in 2 years? When you are buying new technology like this, it is recomended that you purchase something from an established brand. Remember, anybody can build them, but who will service them?

Aside from that, THe listing desn’t say anything about the types of inputs it has, so saying that it would work would be guessing. I would think that most tv’s have more than one input these days, but without seeing the back, there is no way of knowing. It has PIP, but not necessarily 2 tuners. The description is way too vague. Perhaps the seller can provide you with more info on the specs…

Also, things like this can be damaged in transit. My fiance’s uncle bought a Sony LCD through ebay and the frame was shattered in the corners when it arrived.

thanks, I’ll just go to best buy I guess.

thanks, I'll just go to best buy I guess.

Sorry to be a downer…Best Buy has a good selection, so does Tweeter, Circuit City, HH Gregg etc. Check out Queen City, too. If you want to shop online, check out Crutchfield also. They have great brands. Also, Sound & Vision magazine gave the Dell tv’s pretty good ratings. Panasonics got the highest ratings from Consumer Reports. I recommend picking up a copy of Sound & Vision and the Consumer Reports that rated tv’s, maybe February of this year…

NA’s official 5 step process for buying consumer electronics:

1. Research the product type online (e.g. plasma or lcd TVs). Narrow your list down to 2-5 most attractive options.

2. Kick the tires at Best Buy, CC, etc nearby - whoever carries them. DO NOT BUY from either.

3. Pick your favorite and possibly an alternate.

4. [URL=http://pricegrabber.com]Pricegrabber.com[/URL] -> your best friend. The best way to get a good price and avoid taxes and minimize shipping. Decent reviews too.

5. [URL=http://resellerratings.com]Resellerratings.com[/URL] -> check the rating of your best price vendors. ONLY buy from a top rated seller with an excellent recent (6 months) ratings history.

So far, knock on wood, I have yet to be burned with this method. You can typically save up to 40% plus taxes on a big ticket item if you do this.

This is kinda close and i dont see the need in a new thread so ill just ask here.

My new room was built in a stupid fashion and I think I need to have my computer very close to my TV for it to work well. My friend told me that he had a laptop that he used to keep close to his TV and his TV ended up getting some perminent discoloration. I have a desktop so I dont know if it will be the same problem, but I bet it will. Does anyone know how this junk works. Like will both my monitor and my computer being too close cause a problem or is there something that is in only 1 of the units that does the damage? Right now my computer is about 2.5 to 3 feet from my tv and my monitor is more like 1.5 to 2 feet away.

Those problems are caused by unshielded units, meaning the magnetics of the two tubes can effect each other. It’s not normally permanent. Your friend should be able to have it fixed quickly and cheaply at any half-decent repair shop. They just literally waive a wand over the screen to get rid of the magnetism. The same thing is caused by unshielded speakers being close to the tv. If you notice a problem and don’t want to move either unit, tape some aluminum foil to the part of the tv/monitor that is getting interference… If that doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to explain it better…

Those problems are caused by unshielded units, meaning the magnetics of the two tubes can effect each other. It's not normally permanent. Your friend should be able to have it fixed quickly and cheaply at any half-decent repair shop. They just literally waive a wand over the screen to get rid of the magnetism. The same thing is caused by unshielded speakers being close to the tv. If you notice a problem and don't want to move either unit, tape some aluminum foil to the part of the tv/monitor that is getting interference... If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to explain it better...
I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. Do you have any idea how far away the units should be? Like I was saying, they are around 2 feet apart. I just moved my computer stuff over some more and now the closest thing is one my computer speakers.

Here’s a thought I just thought I just had. A laptop is generally an all-in-one piece of equipment where as a destop can have several different parts, like mine which has 5. Maybe I understand how all these things work incorrectly, but maybe a laptop being 1 thing doesn’t have to protect itself from its own interference. But my PC, having several different parts, does. So it already has iterference stopping parts in place and I might be totally ok. But I definitely could be mistaken here.

If you don’t notice the distortion on the monitor or your tv, then you’re far enough. I had teh problem with unshielded speakers, but if I moved them about 10 inches from the tv, the problem disappeared. What I’m saying is that there is no set distance. Basically, if you don’t see the interference, then there probably isn’t any. If you start to notice a problem, move the tv/monitor/speakers. If that doesn’t fix it, then get a “magic wand” and fix it…

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;185515]Buy a Dell 2005fpw or 2405fpw and a tv tuner card. Much cheaper. You also to get to be like me. Actually, that’s a minus. Ignore that part. My bad.[/QUOTE]

I’ve found the Dell 2005fpw for around $365. How much does the tv tuner card cost and why exactly would I need it?

I think this type of monitor will work for what I am looking for. I am switching into a smaller bedroom and want to conserve space, so if I can eliminate my old school 27 inch tv and its stand for a multi-purpose computer monitor I would be an extremely happy person.

EDIT

Actually I have now come across the Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP for roughly the same price. Not sure what is needed for it to perform exactly how I would like, but I am going to try to find out.

NA's official 5 step process for buying consumer electronics:
  1. Research the product type online (e.g. plasma or lcd TVs). Narrow your list down to 2-5 most attractive options.

2. Kick the tires at Best Buy, CC, etc nearby - whoever carries them. DO NOT BUY from either.

3. Pick your favorite and possibly an alternate.

4. Pricegrabber.com → your best friend. The best way to get a good price and avoid taxes and minimize shipping. Decent reviews too.

5. Resellerratings.com → check the rating of your best price vendors. ONLY buy from a top rated seller with an excellent recent (6 months) ratings history.

So far, knock on wood, I have yet to be burned with this method. You can typically save up to 40% plus taxes on a big ticket item if you do this.

That choked me up a bit… man, why can’t more people figure that out. Trying to get my family members how to get a good deal is next to impossible…

I've found the Dell 2005fpw for around $365. How much does the tv tuner card cost and why exactly would I need it?

I think this type of monitor will work for what I am looking for. I am switching into a smaller bedroom and want to conserve space, so if I can eliminate my old school 27 inch tv and its stand for a multi-purpose computer monitor I would be an extremely happy person.

EDIT

Actually I have now come across the Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP for roughly the same price. Not sure what is needed for it to perform exactly how I would like, but I am going to try to find out.

You need the tuner because the monitor is just a monitor. Basically you install the tuner and software, and you can then have TV inside a window on your desktop or full screen as well…

Thanks.

ATI HDTV Wonder TV and HDTV Tuner PCI Card

I found this online and it seems to be what I am looking for.

Now I just wonder if I am going to have issues with my video card???

Biggest problem someone would have with that setup is sound. Those monitors dont have speakers. I think maybe you can buy them though.

Second problem is that you have to have the PC on to watch TV. A superquiet HTPC w/ Windows Media Center Edition would be fine, but having your PC in your bedroom with fans blaring and heat pumping out might annoy someone in a small room.

The el cheapo special is to just split your bedroom cable line and buy a 17" LCD TV (with built in tuner & speakers). That can be done for about $300 I bet. Wont need the computer on to watch it.

[QUOTE=ninermac;185661]That choked me up a bit… man, why can’t more people figure that out. Trying to get my family members how to get a good deal is next to impossible…[/QUOTE]

People don’t believe me, or they complain about “wasting” a trip to the store.

I don’t think saving $1,000 on a plasma TV that you scouted at Best Buy is a wasted trip. The plasma I’m lookin at is over $1,000 less online than Best Buy carries it for. That buys a lot of gas. Same damn TV, and its tax free & free shipping to your front door (no calling your buddy with a pickup to get it home from the store).