OT: Nice job on the radio today, Mike P.

Hopefully others will follow your lead.

Can you fill us in if we didn’t get to hear it. I’m assuming your talking about the penner and mac show today? Thanks

Thanks.
Yes, it was Penner and Mac. We talked about my decision to pull The Observer out of the AP poll after this year, as long as it’s still tied to the BCS. Reporters in the poll are becoming the news and deciding the flow of millions of dollars, and there are some ethical problems with that. Here’s the link to the original column, published last Friday.

Observer will get out of poll that influences BCS mess

Mike, do you know if any other news organizations have followed your lead of not voting in the future?

Not yet. I expect something to come of this, though. What I did won’t be in vain.

Here’s something from a paper in Arizona:

Writers shouldn’t decide BCS spots

The BCS is corrupt and it supports collusion of the highest level. Plus it turns out a product that doesn’t come close to giving the public what it wants and yet college football fans are stupid enough to continue to waste their time watching it.

I haven’t watched college football for years, I just keep my eyes on who gets screwed the most and how the trickle down effect helps ruin college basketball.

The Observer has stepped in the right direction though I don’t think this will ever help correct the horrible mess that has become college football.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Dec 15 2004, 11:08 AM [b]

I haven’t watched college football for years, I just keep my eyes on who gets screwed the most and how the trickle down effect helps ruin college basketball.

[/b]

How has it helped ruin college basketball??? Or did you mean college football???

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 15 2004, 11:03 AM [b] How has it helped ruin college basketball??? Or did you mean college football??? [/b]
Hello...... We're moving to the A-10!
[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Dec 15 2004, 10:08 AM [b] The Observer has stepped in the right direction though I don't think this will ever help correct the horrible mess that has become college football. [/b]

AP pulled out of BCS today, citing ethical concerns. Perhaps we’ll get a selection committee, or possibly a playoff.

AP pulls out of BCS formula

dap 4 mike p

Good job Mike P. You showed you are a step ahead of the rest of the country in journalistic integrity with the BCS decision. Keep producing good sports sections.

Big Props to Mike P. for having the guts to challenge the system.

Mike P’s a smart man. Increased Niner coverage and derailed the BCS.

Mike, You know I sometimes give you a hard time. But not this time. Good job to you and the Observer! Sometimes it takes bold decisions like this to make a change.

Now if you can come up with something to get the ball rolling for the 49ers to get football started. :wink: