OT: ODU board votes today on football

Here is the thing HPā€¦ ODU is willing to take a shot at it and see what happens. We on the other hand are perfectly content it seems to wallow in the land of a midmajor and destined to stay there. If ODU can not raise the money then so be it, they are right back where they are now, but with the knowledge that they tried. If the AD here would take a similar approach that would be greatā€¦ if we canā€™t raise the funds then we move on.

Well said WB.

[b]10.You obviously are not a football fan in the first place. That my friend makes you the minority in this country. Football is the #1 sport... basketball and baseball are WAY behind.

I think you just have a personal objection to football and that even IF the school started a team meeting all the things you asked for you would still not support it. [/b]

You obviously are missing my point and know nothing about me. I am a huge fan of the NFL because things are equal among EVERY team. How else can a Carolina Panthers team make it to the Super Bowl in 9 years? The NFL is the best run of the 4 major sports and it shows every Sunday. I love the Panthers and everything that they bring to the community.

However, college football sucks. They donā€™t even crown a winner every year and only the big time programs stand to profit. Itā€™s a classic case of the rich getting richer by collusion of the worst sort. I want nothing to do with that because itā€™s counterproductive.

What you donā€™t realize is that our program already missed its opportunity and since we are now in a lesser conference, I donā€™t see what difference starting football would make. The damage is done and none of these big time conference will ever let us in no matter what.

A lot of you donā€™t see the future, but I do. I see a future of 5 major conferences consisting of 12 teams each that will break off and form their own ā€œNCAAā€. You think it wonā€™t happen? Think again, itā€™s a big possibility. Weā€™re already screwed and itā€™s only going to get worse so why throw away precious money chasing this pipe dream?

I also see a time when the major conferences exit the NCAA. Where I disagree with you is I do not think we are screwedā€¦ yet. IMO there will be atleast one more conference shake up maybe two. If we position ourselves now maybeā€¦ MAYBE we can get in. If we buy into your theory that it is too lateā€¦ well then we might as well shut things down. If we are already screwed in football we are equally screwed in basketball. And when the major conferences exit the NCAA we will be left playing basketball in the minor leagues even more than we are now. According to your line of thinking we canā€™t get football and we wonā€™t be able to ever compete in basketball on the big stage. That is a fairly pessimistic view!

[b]I am a huge fan of the NFL because things are equal among EVERY team. How else can a Carolina Panthers team make it to the Super Bowl in 9 years? The NFL is the best run of the 4 major sports and it shows every Sunday. I love the Panthers and everything that they bring to the community.

However, college football sucks. They donā€™t even crown a winner every year and only the big time programs stand to profit.[/b]

I also think you are missing a large part of the college football experience. I would say maybe 20 teams have a legit shot at a titleā€¦ the rest are playing for the experience and their fans come to be a part of it. Just look at South Carolinaā€¦ they had NEVER won a bowl game until a few years ago, but yet they sold out year after year in a HUGE stadium. Unlike basketball, consistent winning is not necessarily required to retain peoples interest. Sure winning helpsā€¦ everyone likes a winner, but having the game to go toā€¦ spending time tail gating and cheering and such is the drawā€¦ not that we might win a champioship! Remember we are talking a handful of games on the weekend, not 3 games a week. You say you are a huge fan of the Panthersā€¦ are you really? In that 1-15 season did you go to the games? Either you did go and you are a real fanā€¦ and you must have enjoyed it at some level because you kept going. This proves the game is fun theory OR you did not go to the games because they were losing which speaks volumes of your football fanhood.

I went to 3 home games during the 1-15 season (I didnā€™t have season tickets) and I also went out to Seattle last year and the game down here in Atlanta. I am as diehard as I can get with the disposable income I have for the sport.

I understand that the experience of college football is a big part of it and I see what you are saying. However, if we do spend a lot of money on college football like UConn and end up screwed how much better off are we? Or we could be like Memphis and be stuck in a horrible hoops conference because of our BCS pipe dream.

I just want to be realistic here. In a perfect world, football wouldnā€™t be expensive, the BCS wouldnā€™t exist and a playoff would be in place, and we could fill up BofA Stadium every Saturdayā€¦but I donā€™t see it happeningā€¦

[i]Originally posted by WBNiner[/i]@Jun 16 2005, 03:58 PM [b] I also see a time when the major conferences exit the NCAA. Where I disagree with you is I do not think we are screwed... yet. IMO there will be atleast one more conference shake up maybe two. If we position ourselves now maybe... MAYBE we can get in. If we buy into your theory that it is too late... well then we might as well shut things down. If we are already screwed in football we are equally screwed in basketball. And when the major conferences exit the NCAA we will be left playing basketball in the minor leagues even more than we are now. According to your line of thinking we can't get football and we won't be able to ever compete in basketball on the big stage. That is a fairly pessimistic view!
[b]I am a huge fan of the NFL because things are equal among EVERY team. How else can a Carolina Panthers team make it to the Super Bowl in 9 years? The NFL is the best run of the 4 major sports and it shows every Sunday. I love the Panthers and everything that they bring to the community.

However, college football sucks. They donā€™t even crown a winner every year and only the big time programs stand to profit.[/b]

I also think you are missing a large part of the college football experience. I would say maybe 20 teams have a legit shot at a titleā€¦ the rest are playing for the experience and their fans come to be a part of it. Just look at South Carolinaā€¦ they had NEVER won a bowl game until a few years ago, but yet they sold out year after year in a HUGE stadium. Unlike basketball, consistent winning is not necessarily required to retain peoples interest. Sure winning helpsā€¦ everyone likes a winner, but having the game to go toā€¦ spending time tail gating and cheering and such is the drawā€¦ not that we might win a champioship! Remember we are talking a handful of games on the weekend, not 3 games a week. You say you are a huge fan of the Panthersā€¦ are you really? In that 1-15 season did you go to the games? Either you did go and you are a real fanā€¦ and you must have enjoyed it at some level because you kept going. This proves the game is fun theory OR you did not go to the games because they were losing which speaks volumes of your football fanhood. [/b]

Well said-the game experence is the key.

That would be the experIence.

I see what you are sayingā€¦ but your example of UCONN is perfectā€¦ they are a basketball school and a darn good one at that, but without football would they still be in the Big East? Would they get left out in the next alignment even given their past basketball contributions? Football will drive everything and without havingā€¦ or atleast seriously considering it we are short changing ourselves, our students and our athletes.

isnā€™t this why we have a football forum??? :smiley:

Exactly I agree the A-10 is definately a step down from C-USA, UNCC needs a football team to advance their other sports teams.

Not only would a football team advance our school spirit, and pride it would also give students a reason to wake up on Saturday and not go home on the weekends (lol).

Our school needs football because we need to advance in conferences for our basketball team to play better teams. Letā€™s face it the reason our basketball team was ranked last year is because we beat other ranked teams such as rival cincy and were able to have a good record while in C-USA.

Hey didnā€™t St. Joseph go undefeated in the regular season two years ago and they didnā€™t get respect until they were the only team left that was undefeated. Getting a football team means we could upgrade in conferences and play better teams (AND BEAT THEM!) in basketball (which would improve our national status and recruitment).

Hey just think if we were in the Big East we could play teams like UCONN and Syracuse in conferences games. Thatā€™s awesome.

Simple fact, without football we will never advance to the ranks of a ā€œrealā€ university. That should be everyone on hereā€™s goal. To help Charlotte achieve itā€™s place in the sun. Thatā€™s my goal anyway!

Over 100 students show up to tryout for football at ODU:
[URL]http://odusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020708aaf.html[/URL]

Another football thread interesting to readā€¦