OT: Sirius or XM

I know this belongs in a different forum (sorry mods) but I wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

I will have to make a decision pretty soon and I wanted some input from people that already have the services.

I like XM because of the NASCAR in car feeds(the redneck in me)and also the major league baseball feeds(I have a sad pathetic life) but I have also heard SIRIUS is more “up and coming” and a little more “cutting edge”.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
TSD.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 12:02 AM [b] and also the major league baseball feeds(I have a sad pathetic life) [/b]
hey what the hell is wrong with liking baseball

playing baseball = fun
watching baseball = boring

could the game be any slower?

i have played baseball since i was big enough to throw and catch, so i guess that makes watching the game easier for me

Nothing wrong with baseball. Love the game. I have read and seen what you young people do during the summer while I am listening to the Braves games and working. Sad and pathetic pretty much sums it up. :lol:

I watch almost every White Sox game that is televised. Too bad damn WGN shows like 8 Cubs games for every one Sox game. That pisses me off. God I hate the Cubs.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 12:02 AM [b] I know this belongs in a different forum (sorry mods) but I wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

I will have to make a decision pretty soon and I wanted some input from people that already have the services.

I like XM because of the NASCAR in car feeds(the redneck in me)and also the major league baseball feeds(I have a sad pathetic life) but I have also heard SIRIUS is more “up and coming” and a little more “cutting edge”.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
TSD. [/b]

Yeah my dad used to own part of Jimmy Spencer’s race team when he was with ultra motorsports. When he was there, he was sponcered by Sirius. I’v elistened to both, they both have good reception everywhere, just Sirius is actually a radio with a DJ, where as XM is pre recorded. Therefor you are able to rewind and playback songs over and over. Sirus covers a lot of football and wanst to start in on some baseball. They also cover NASCAR just not as in depth as XM due to contract issues. If I was going for music quality and a better choice in music, then I’d go with Sirius. But if you really love all that NASCAR in car and all baseball games, then go with XM. Either way they are both good choices, and when you get them you dont know how you ever didn’t have it. Kinda like a cell phone. Home that helps.

XM kicks Sirius’ ass … MLB and NASCAR says it all …

Without a doubt. Sirius. It carries every NFL game on two channels. One with the Home team’s radio feed, and the other with the Away teams. Whatever “homers” you want to listen to you can. They also have an NFL channel dedicated solely to pro football, I’m not sure if XM does. Every NBA game. Also they will have Howard Stern un-edited when his current contract runs out. Play by Play of every NCAA Tournament game. Better music selections to boot. No brainer, Sirius is in it for the long haul.

I’ve never heard Sirius, but XM sucks.

Oh and Chi, Chicago only has one MLB team that matters, and it ain’t the sox.

Go Cubbies

I did a lot of research and I decided to go with Sirius… free webstreaming, better programming, all games from the ncaa tourney, no extra charge for premium channels… my receiver is on the way so I haven’t actully tried it yet, but I have heard good things.

There is a great deal right now on 2 of the plug and play receivers if you are interested. You can get the JVC or the Xact free with your choice of a home or car kit if you sign up for a 1 year subscription. I went with the JVC… it came out to about $163 or so ($143 subscription + $10 shipping + $10 activation).

Just go to: https://home.sirius.com/webDUWI/HomePage.aspx (might have to copy and paste)

then enter the code 070 and on the next page the refferal id is howardstern

People were selling this code for $10+ on ebay. :rolleyes:

Showdawg…check this thread in the Tech forum I posted about satellite radio. You’ll find it useful, regardless of which provider you go with.

Satellite radio info

I’ve used both services and in my opinion, Sirius is hands down, the better option. Anyone that is pro-XM likely hasn’t had personal experience with Sirius. The only advantage XM has over Sirius is MLB and NASCAR. If you’re a hardcore fan of both and feel like you’re going to be in your car all the time, then that could be a deciding factor for you. But if you compare both services, head to head, in every possible aspect, XM can only claim more subscribers and even that will swing in another year or so.

Bottom line though is that either choice is still FAR better than local radio so you can’t really make the wrong decision here. It’s easily the best electronics purchase I’ve made in a long time.

Glad to see you made the leap LutzFan. Trust me, you won’t be able to quit listening to it. The day I got it, I literally sat in my car in the driveway for like 3 hours just checking everything out. Let me know if you have any issues, though Sirius has superb tech support but it’s such an easy service to use, you likely won’t need them.

[i]Originally posted by HomeinHalton[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 05:30 AM [b] XM kicks Sirius' ass .... MLB and NASCAR says it all ... [/b]
I can't understand watching nascar on tv and am astonished that anyone would want to listen to it on the radio.

Isn’t Howard Stearn going to sirius? Also the NFL is on Sirius. I will be going with them when Stearn makes the switch.

I will probably be getting one or the other after Xmas, and right now, I’m leaning heavily towards Sirius.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 09:07 AM [b] Isn't Howard Stearn going to sirius? Also the NFL is on Sirius. I will be going with them when Stearn makes the switch. [/b]
Stern cranks up January 2006 I believe. I'm not the Stern fan I once was but it will be interesting to hear his first day on the air, censor-free. He should have some kind words for the FCC...lol. Sirius also carries Maxim Radio which is essentially the magazine (minus the visuals) over the radio.

People usually associate all the music channels with satellite radio but there is a lot of great talk programming on. Discovery Channel, Court TV, E!, ABC News, Disney, etc. are all available and come in handy when on a road trip and you’re not in the mood for some tunes. And if you get Sirius and you find yourself ticked off in traffic one day, just switch over to RawDog Comedy. You’ll be too busy laughing to be upset over the traffic snarl.

And for you fantasy guys, Sirius has a couple really good live fantasy football shows that run on NFL Radio.

It’s pretty overwhelming actually. I have 24 satellite presets on my deck and I honestly had to use process of elimination just to get down from about 55 stations that I liked well enough to have as “favorites.” Sorry for being such a Sirius homer but I’m a huge fan. :slight_smile:

clt likes xm. xm is not precorded. xm came with clt’s trcuk.

XM does also have ACC, BIG 10 and PAC 10 Football and BAsketball.
I really wish XM had NFL, but unless your spend all day sunday in your car it doesn’t matter and with ESPN GAmeday they follow all the games anyway.
I have XM and that is all I’ve had, but by weighing all factors it is the best one for me.

As a side note PI, I’m not a nascar fan and don’t watch it or listen to it much, but I could easily say the same thing about Stern. If you can’t SEE the girls getting naked what is the point???

PI. You have to realize NASCAR(the old NASCAR at least ) is a “Southern” thing. I remember sitting in my dad’s truck after lunch on Sunday and listening to the races because my mom did not want to hear it.

The other thing is if you ever have a chance to hear the “in car radio feed” at a race in can be some of the funniest stuff you could imagine. I remember one year listening to Earnhardt (Dale Sr.) at the Bristol night race and laughing as hard as I can remember in a long time. If NASCAR is worried about cussing then I do not know what they will do to control that on XM.

I appreciate all the input on the choices.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 11:07 AM [b] If NASCAR is worried about cussing then I do not know what they will do to control that on XM. [/b]
NASCAR would have to be the only one to take issue with the profanity as far as satellite radio goes. There is no censorship on satellite radio so if there was a direct feed to the in-car conversations, you're going to hear all the cussing.

It still catches me off guard at times. I’ll be listening to a song that I’m used to hearing the edited version of and then hear an F bomb or something. Takes a couple seconds to realize I’m not on FM/AM anymore.

As for what’s the point with Stern if you can’t see the girls? Well, you haven’t been able to “see” the girls while he was on FM radio but he has dominated most of the markets he’s been in. Like I said, I’ve outgrown him for the most part and find his act to be redundant but the numbers don’t lie and I think Sirius was wise to latch on to him because he probably has the most loyal listeners in the industry.