OT: Supermodel severly injured in tsunami

Czech supermodel Petra Nemcova, who appeared on the cover of the 2003 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, was severely injured and her boyfriend, fashion photographer Simon Atlee has been missing, after a huge wave in Phuket carried them away.

Water swirled around Nemcova, 25, as she clung to a tree for eight hours. She is recovering in a Thai hospital from broken bones and internal injuries.

:frowning:

Per her agent, who spoke of this on Good Morning America yesterday, she was cleared of internal injuries. She does however have a broken pelvis. The good news is that her sister is now by her bedside and earlier today she was able to sit up. Her boyfriend is still missing.

Itโ€™s unbelievable what happened out there. You should see some of the videos of the waves. It doesnโ€™t look real, sort of how I felt watching a plane go into Two World Trade.

clt cannot believe how little press this story is getting. over a 100,000 people died!

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 10:13 AM [b] It's unbelievable what happened out there. You should see some of the videos of the waves. It doesn't look real, sort of how I felt watching a plane go into Two World Trade. [/b]
No doubt. Some of that amateur video from various hotels/resorts is numbing. Pretty much surreal when you watch the tide come in like that with people who were just sitting there enjoying an outdoor meal, get completely swept up in it. Sad.
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 10:34 AM [b] Pretty much surreal when you watch the tide come in like that with people who were just sitting there enjoying an outdoor meal, get completely swept up in it. [/b]
Yeah one of the videos has kids plaing in ankle deep water and a low wave comes in and they playfully run from it and then they stop and turn around as if to wait for another one to come, but the wave just doesn't stop. It keeps going, and going, and suddenly it's in their hotel. :huh: One other video looks like the footage from when Mt. Saint Helens erupted and a wall of mud and water blasted everything to bits in front of it.

Whereโ€™s the best place you guys have found video?

[i]Originally posted by cltniners[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 10:20 AM [b] clt cannot believe how little press this story is getting. over a 100,000 people died! [/b]
chisox agrees. this is an incredible tragedy
[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 11:03 PM [b] Where's the best place you guys have found video? [/b]
Just Google "tsunami video" and you'll find some links.

This is not a political statement but just an observation. I have seen more deceased bodies (including that of children) on all channels than any other tradegy I can remember. I have yet to see one deceased body in the war in Iraq.

The final death totals from this event will be both staggering and numbing.

what is google?

[i]Originally posted by cltniners[/i]@Jan 2 2005, 08:05 PM [b] what is google? [/b]
please tell me thats a rhetorical question :huh:

the internet is a new thing for clt. is google cool?