OT: Team USA to revamp selection process?

From Andy Katz…

ESPN.com: Tryout proposal on table for November meeting

Also found this interesting/disturbing/par for the course:

But that won’t change everything that went wrong with Team USA. Off-court behavior was an issue. Multiple sources told ESPN.com that USA Basketball was in the process of finding out how to dismiss a player from the team before the Olympics. The coaching staff and members of the USA Basketball selection committee met in Istanbul, Turkey, after the U.S. held an exhibition before the Games, looking at the procedures for sending home anywhere from one to four players who weren’t behaving up to the USOC’s standards.

Geez… :rolleyes:

If our top players wouldn’t accept a free invite, how many are going to be willing to try out for a team? These guys haven’t tried out since middle school, many will take it as a slap in the face…maybe it’s the selection committee that needs to be changed?

Screw it. Go back to Team USA being college players.

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 04:53 PM [b] Screw it. Go back to Team USA being college players. [/b]
I tend to agree. But we have to be able to accept getting crushed some times. They'll be going up against pros.
[i]Originally posted by VA49er+Sep 9 2004, 04:11 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (VA49er @ Sep 9 2004, 04:11 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-NormanNiner[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 04:53 PM [b] Screw it. Go back to Team USA being college players. [/b] I tend to agree. But we have to be able to accept getting crushed some times. They'll be going up against pros. [/b][/quote] True, but I'd trade an uphill battle for the gold than all this stupid drama any day.
[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 03:53 PM [b] Screw it. Go back to Team USA being college players. [/b]
What we should do is just form an international team, like every other country does, and pay them year round to practice and compete. Even if it was made up of borderline NBA players, they would be much more competetive having played together full time. I know USA Basketball has discussed this idea in the past and now seems like as good a time as any to try it.
[b]What we should do is just form an international team, like every other country does, and pay them year round to practice and compete. Even if it was made up of borderline NBA players, they would be much more competetive having played together full time.[/b]

Bingo. Totally agree. My only worry would be the coach, like others have worried. With the right coach you can take borderline (by our standards) talent and really make it into a force to be reckoned with. But getting a head coach to buy into that role year round might be tougher. Maybe they can drag a Chuck Daly out of retirement or something.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 08:36 AM [b] What we should do is just form an international team, like every other country does, and pay them year round to practice and compete. Even if it was made up of borderline NBA players, they would be much more competetive having played together full time. I know USA Basketball has discussed this idea in the past and now seems like as good a time as any to try it. [/b]
Smartest thing you've said a long time. :thumbsup: