OT: USNews Rankings Fall Again - #31 Universities-Master's (South)

Pretty sure this is now the third straight year were we have fallen in this category.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1univmas_s_brief.php

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_2975_brief.php

70% of students on campus during weekends???

[URL=http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drlife_2975_brief.php][COLOR=darkgreen]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drlife_2975_brief.php[/COLOR][/URL]

Pretty sure this is now the third straight year were we have fallen in this category.

[COLOR=darkgreen]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1univmas_s_brief.php[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen][URL=http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_2975_brief.php]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drglance_2975_brief.php[/COLOR][/URL]

[COLOR=black]We can’t afford to field a football team because we’re focused on academics…However, our academic standing continues fall!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Ummm…Should be time to clean house Dr. Phil.[/COLOR]

70% of students on campus during weekends????

[COLOR=darkgreen][URL=http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drlife_2975_brief.php]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/brief/drlife_2975_brief.php[/COLOR][/URL]

does 9PM on sunday count?

This is what is pathetic…

[B]Campus Events[/B]

Most popular cultural and campus events:
(Data appear as originally submitted by this school)
International Festival, Midnight Madness, Cone-A-Fair, Spring Fest

What is a master’s university? I dont really understand what we are ranked 31st in.

US News college rankings are total BS. How can you quantify all of the variables that are involved in a college by a simple ranking. It’s a ridiculous idea.

What is a master's university? I dont really understand what we are ranked 31st in.

[COLOR=darkgreen]http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankumregion_brief.php[/COLOR]

Pretty soon we should be in the doctorate category. Most of these schools are super small and have nothing in common with us…Perhaps James Madison is the most similar…But, Elon? Warren Wilson? Cmon.

What is a master's university? I dont really understand what we are ranked 31st in.

We are ranked #31 in the south!!! Could be well over 100 in the nation. Very sad…

James Madison = Joke

Pretty soon we should be in the doctorate category. Most of these schools are super small and have nothing in common with us...Perhaps James Madison is the most similar....But, Elon? Warren Wilson? Cmon.

We’re probably more like a George Mason…

[QUOTE=lutz9er;185312]James Madison = Joke[/QUOTE]

Yea, but the scenery in Harrisonburg isn’t too bad.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;185330]We’re probably more like a George Mason…[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I didn’t see them on this list…

What probably hurts us most on these rankings are admissions standards, alumni giving, and endowment (which they reported improperly).

Admissions standards are a big deal, because while I feel that the education I’m receiving is worth every penny and my professors are excellent, some of my classmates aren’t really college material#. Sure, they did well in High School, but with the state of public education, especially in rural areas, that’s not really an accomplishment. This probably also feeds into our rather poor graduation rate.

There are certainly many students on campus that are smarter than me, but the more smart people, the better.

I think the model we should follow is UC-Irvine. It was founded in 1965 and it’s quite prestigious already (a top 50 school). It has great relations with the city it’s in, and contributes much to the region. University of California–Santa Cruz is another 1965 school that has done well.

None of this ranking business really matters for me, because I’m never going to need to work for anyone*, and I go to college only because I love to learn. But that said, I’m proud to say I go to UNC Charlotte, and I don’t think the university has any reason to not to be as ambitious as possible. There is space in NC for a number 2 public university, NC State isn’t unsurpassable by any means. Number 2 in what will be one of the most influential states in the union is not a bad deal by any means.

Charlotte needs to start playing hardball with the state and throwing its weight around as the economic center of the state. A terrific college in the Charlotte area would only be a good thing for the state (that is if the state were a rational entity).

*I own a few online and offline businesses in case you are wondering what the hell I do to make such a claim (though that doesn’t really clear anything up).

edited for clarity, I posted this late at night :wink:

[QUOTE=pip;185360]Charlotte needs to start playing hardball with the state and throwing its weight around as the economic center of the state. A terrific college in the Charlotte area would only be a good thing for the state (that is if the state were a rational entity).

[/quote]

word.

I would like to see Charlotte tighten up the admission standards. It would stem the incessant growth that forces them to over allocate budgets into construction, allowing them instead to focus on revitalizing delapitated buildings such as Garinger, the High Rises, et al.

Additionally I think it would help stem some of the recent crime on campus, change perception of Charlotte leading to an increase in school spirit.

Here would be my standards for admission.

Minimum SAT 950.
Minimum High School GPA 2.8 weighted, 2.5 non weighted

After 10 years, I would look to see if possible raise the standards to 1000 and a 3.0 weighted, 2.8 non weighted.

Again this would eliminate some of the admission and paperwork process thereby allocating budget. Additionally it would reduce construction costs drastically and free up much needed parking and housing. Furthermore perception would change from a secondary choice school, to a primary one thus increasing School Spirit and State Awareness. It could also lead to more lucrative business partnerships as local city business would be more open to forming a pipeline with the University rather than going to Davidson and Queens.

Just a thought: higher admission standards may very well raise our level of school spirit as well. It often times takes a more intelligent person to root for a team that is not a consistent winner. Why do the tarheels sell so much merchandise? Because they win and it doesn’t take a genius to root for the winner. Rooting for a looser makes you feel bad more times than rooting for a winner, and same for happiness. Also, some fans associate themselves with the teams they root for and feel like they are cool if their team is good. The thinking sportsman has to realize that sports are built off of character and honor. It takes character to stand up for your team even when they have fallen on hard times. Less intellegent people are generally followers and don’t stand up for themselves well. How do you think they would handle rooting for their school when someone who is a chapel hill fan asks how many championships we have in a trash talking manor? I could be wrong tho…

But hey, look at Wal-Mart. Why do you think they carry so much CH merch? Same thing goes for NYY. If any store in America is selling a baseball hat, I’ll put money down that its a Yankee hat. If its not the most sold hat (probably due to another team being close by and semi-successful) then I bet it will be the second most sold hat. A person may never have ever been to NY. They may have no family ties to NY. They may even manage to not know where New York is on a map, but they sure as hell know they like em. Its no matter, they win all the time (mostly because they have a rediculous payroll) and so they are the easy [U]no-brainer[/U].

[QUOTE=49erFan1;185367]I would like to see Charlotte tighten up the admission standards. It would stem the incessant growth that forces them to over allocate budgets into construction, allowing them instead to focus on revitalizing delapitated buildings such as Garinger, the High Rises, et al.

Additionally I think it would help stem some of the recent crime on campus, change perception of Charlotte leading to an increase in school spirit.

Here would be my standards for admission.

Minimum SAT 950.
Minimum High School GPA 2.8 weighted, 2.5 non weighted

After 10 years, I would look to see if possible raise the standards to 1000 and a 3.0 weighted, 2.8 non weighted.

Again this would eliminate some of the admission and paperwork process thereby allocating budget. Additionally it would reduce construction costs drastically and free up much needed parking and housing. Furthermore perception would change from a secondary choice school, to a primary one thus increasing School Spirit and State Awareness. It could also lead to more lucrative business partnerships as local city business would be more open to forming a pipeline with the University rather than going to Davidson and Queens.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

Tougher admission standards will also help our image as a quality school and give the students more pride in where they attend/attended school.

I’m all for growth and was happy to see the growth, but there is a point where we should stop sacrificing quality for growth.

Perhaps most future growth should be focused on post graduate programs.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;185518]I agree 100%.

Tougher admission standards will also help our image as a quality school and give the students more pride in where they attend/attended school.

I’m all for growth and was happy to see the growth, but there is a point where we should stop sacrificing quality for growth.

Perhaps most future growth should be focused on post graduate programs.[/QUOTE]

I doubt this will happen. The university is projected to have over 28k in 2012. Dr. Phil has made comparisons to other large cities in the country and suggested that Charlotte may need to reach the 40k level by 2020. He has/is forming a team to study enrollment requirements over the next 12 months, as well as update the master plan.

I haven’t heard him say anything about raising admission standards.