OT: Winston-Salem State desires Division I-AA move

There’s another Division I player coming to the table in the state over the next 5 years, the Winston-Salem State Rams. Given that they have football, I can see them getting some substantial support to get 50 more scholarships and improve facilities. (Maybe we should take note of how they do it.)

WSSU going to Division I, Winston-Salem Journal

WSSU Announces Plans To Move Towards NCAA Division I Classification, WSSURams.com

I guess the lure of a shot at a MEAC title could not be ignored any longer. They haven’t had much success in Division II, so these dreams of being in the I-AA tournament will be just that for quite awhile. I know, I know, “at least they have football”. Yeay for them. I think I’ll get my tickets for the big conference game against A&T before the scalpers buy them all up. :rolleyes:

When is JCSU going to Div. I? Are there any plan in the works. I would love to be able to play them, it would make a good rivarly. The same for Queens also.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 08:07 AM [b] I think I'll get my tickets for the big conference game against A&T before the scalpers buy them all up. :rolleyes: [/b]
Aggie Stadium would be rocking for sure, X-49er! Can you imagine a WSSU-Wake Forest game at Groves Stadium? The Deacons wouldn't have the home field advantage in that game.
[b]Can you imagine a WSSU-Wake Forest game at Groves Stadium? The Deacons wouldn't have the home field advantage in that game. [/b]

I think it would be more exciting at Bowman Gray. It would give those yuppies from the west side a little social excitement. :thumbsup: A night game at Bowman-Gray would even be better.

:o

Football will be Division 1-AA

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jul 8 2004, 11:35 AM [b] I think it would be more exciting at Bowman Gray. It would give those yuppies from the west side a little social excitement. :thumbsup: A night game at Bowman-Gray would even be better. [img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/waffen/violent-smiley-035.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/waffen/violent-smiley-043.gif[/img]

:o[/b]

I’ve been to more than my share of football games at Bowman Gray back in my high school days X-49er, before the W-S schools all had their own stadiums. I will say, they cooked some of the finest french fries on the planet there.

Another story on the topic, from NC A&T’s viewpoint: Winston-Salem State’s move to Division-I could reignite rivalry with A&T

WSSU plans to:
• spend $10.7 million to upgrade athletics facilities;
• add six sports teams, which likely will include men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track, baseball and women’s golf;
• increase funds for athletics scholarships four-fold, to $1.6 million, by 2005-06; and
• expand the athletics department’s staff by 15.

With the distinct possiblility of sounding racist, is there such a thing as a women’s golf team at a historically black educational institution in the NCAA? They’d probably get to have a home course in their back door however, Winston Lakes is litterally sevral hundred yards awau from the campus.