OT: With Calipari "permanent" means...

…anything but permanent! From the Memphis Commercial-Appeal:

[b]U of M reinstates guard Hunt

Geoff Calkins: Hunt’s return to team is enough to make fans cynical[/b]

It’s like when someone’s a little bit dead or kinda pregnant.

It was important for Coach Life Skills to teach Hunt this lesson. He should always know that regardless of what he does that because he can play basketball it will always be ok.

If I didn’t feel like puking everytime I did I’d venture over to the Mempiss board and see the numerous ways they’re justifying this and how Cal is a great person for doing it. I wonder if Miss J. will give it a little more passion with Cal tonight since he did it?

I wonder if Miss J. will give it a little more passion with Cal tonight since he did it?

:lmao:
Yeah, she may even get to sleep over this time if she plays her cards right.

coach cal is right up there with huggins when it comes to really caring about the players.

jcl. that avatar needs to go. it is now football season and there is no need for you to clutter the board with trash like that avatar.

[QUOTE]Two years ago, when Hunt was arrested for assault, Calipari suspended him a mere two games. The community reacted with outrage. A consultant was later hired to study what went wrong.

Last year, when Hunt broke his hand during a fight on Beale Street, the university overreacted by booting him off the team for good.

Now the university has reinstated Hunt. From permanent dismissal.[/QUOTE]
Win at any cost, Cal.

jcl, I’ve got an avatar you may use. See below…

jcl, I've got an avatar you may use. See below...

HP, it really does her no justice by confining her to the size limitations of an avatar. Wouldn’t be fair for the other members here if I displayed her on such a small scale, much like your current avatar.

What I really like is this quote from Calipari about reinstating Hunt:

"It's not because he's gonna help the team."
Sure... :rolleyes:

Letters to the editor of the Commercial Appeal…

[QUOTE][B]Personal foul on Calkins[/B], August 24, 2006

To some degree, Geoff Calkins is making a mountain out of a molehill on the Jeremy Hunt deal (Aug. 23 column, “Permanent . . . sort of”). Yes, the wording of the University of Memphis’ press release Tuesday was disingenuous. It would have been more accurate if the press release had said Hunt’s suspension had been “rescinded” or “revoked.”

But the blame for that gaffe arguably rests at the feet of the university’s public relations/media relations staff, which presumably wrote both Tuesday’s release and the press release from a year ago about Hunt’s “permanent” suspension.
Intentionally or not, Calkins’ criticism seems to lay the blame directly on coach John Calipari and perhaps somewhat indirectly on Hunt.

The university was correct to suspend Hunt a year ago. Based on what we know about Hunt’s actions since then, the university was equally correct to revoke the suspension. Regardless of the wording of the press release, the university and coach Cal don’t deserve to be blasted.

[I]M. Cornell Christion
Eads, Tenn.[/I]

[B]But upon further review… [/B]

Right on, Geoff! You now seem to see the narcissistic liars that Calipari and U of M athletic director R. C. Johnson are. They manipulate the community, players and fans alike to accomplish one goal, which is to win.

Calipari could not care less whether Hunt has one ounce of character. He could care less about the bad publicity. They could care less about the University of Memphis.

This is all about ego. Calipari’s ego and keeping his obscene salary. Calipari just wants to seize one more advantage for his survival. Even if he has to lie to do it.

[I]James A. Carraway Jr.
Memphis[/I][/QUOTE]
I know which viewpoint I’d take on the issue.

Just to clarify, Dr. Shirley Raines (Memphis President) was the one who “permantly” kicked Hunt off the team. She was also the sole person who reinstated him. I don’t agree with the decision, but I have to respect it when the President of the University puts her tail on the line. Now, if Hunt even gets a speeding ticket, you’ll see all hell break loose in the Memphis program.

but I have to respect it when the President of the University puts her tail on the line.

She put her tail on the line when she took a stand for integrity for the school by kicking the thug off the team. She took it off when she let him back.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;185973]She put her tail on the line when she took a stand for integrity for the school by kicking the thug off the team. She took it off when she let him back.[/QUOTE]

Not really. No one even argued with her booting him from the team a year ago. From what I’ve heard, this past decision didn’t go over too well with the faculty and academic staff.

Not really. No one even argued with her booting him from the team a year ago. From what I've heard, this past decision didn't go over too well with the faculty and academic staff.

Nor should it have.

Calkins said she overracted to kicking him off last year in his article on it. I sort of agree, though i think the thug should have been kicked off permanently for beating up his girlfriend. Coach Life Skills 2 game suspension was a crock.

He’s got no business being on the court.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;185976]Nor should it have.

Calkins said she overracted to kicking him off last year in his article on it. I sort of agree, though i think the thug should have been kicked off permanently for beating up his girlfriend. Coach Life Skills 2 game suspension was a crock.

He’s got no business being on the court.[/QUOTE]

Charges were dropped against Hunt. Seems like the woman who said he beat him up decided to try and fight the Memphis volleyball team with her sister. Made it a tad tough to prosecute him.

[QUOTE=fsquid;185983]Charges were dropped against Hunt. Seems like the woman who said he beat him up decided to try and fight the Memphis volleyball team with her sister. Made it a tad tough to prosecute him.[/QUOTE]

'cause if she can fight back it’s not really wrong.

[QUOTE=forDniner;185990]'cause if she can fight back it’s not really wrong.[/QUOTE]

nope, it is still wrong if it happened. Hunt would probably at least be standing trial if the “victim” hadn’t of tried to fight the whole volleyball team with her sister.

again, I don’t agree with the decision, but it was the school President’s not Cal’s. Another reason is that due to this new NCAA rule, UTEP, Mississippi, and UT were trying to get him for his last year of eligibility. Might have played a part in it.

[QUOTE=fsquid;185991]
Another reason is that due to this new NCAA rule, UTEP, Mississippi, and UT were trying to get him for his last year of eligibility. Might have played a part in it.[/QUOTE]

Say no more. It sounds like memphis did not want him that much, but they also did not want to see him play for anyone else.

Everything makes sense now. Out of curiosity, does memphis play UTEP, Mississippi, and UT this year?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;186003]Say no more. It sounds like memphis did not want him that much, but they also did not want to see him play for anyone else.

Everything makes sense now. Out of curiosity, does memphis play UTEP, Mississippi, and UT this year?[/QUOTE]

all 3 mate.