Ouch

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3187410

"There is less wealth disparity among the top college basketball teams than the top football teams mainly because television money is more evenly distributed in basketball. The 20 most valuable teams span seven conferences, and include one team from the [B]mid-major Atlantic 10[/B]. Xavier University, a private institution in Cincinnati with only 3,360 undergraduate students, can boast having a basketball team worth $10.7 million – largely as a result of personal seat licenses reaping almost $4 million in annual revenue. Compare that with football, where teams from the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 dominate our list. "

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3187410[/URL]

"There is less wealth disparity among the top college basketball teams than the top football teams mainly because television money is more evenly distributed in basketball. The 20 most valuable teams span seven conferences, and include one team from the mid-major Atlantic 10. Xavier University, a private institution in Cincinnati with only 3,360 undergraduate students, can boast having a basketball team worth $10.7 million – largely as a result of personal seat licenses reaping almost $4 million in annual revenue. Compare that with football, where teams from the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 dominate our list. "

Yeah, I am getting tired of all that mid-major crap.

Devil’s Advocate here:

1. What makes us NOT mid-major?

2. Is St. Bonaventure a “high-major”?

Devil's Advocate here:

2. Is St. Bonaventure mid-major?

The A10 conference is a major conference. That is what makes us not mid-major. Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 12 and Pac-10 are Power conferences. Mid-majors are CAA, WCC, etc.

The A10 conference is a major conference. That is what makes us not mid-major. Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 12 and Pac-10 are Power conferences. Mid-majors are CAA, WCC, etc.
Is Richmond major? Is La Salle major?

I think a good rule of thumb to be a major might be: you can have other majors come to your arena and play.

The media consider anything that’s not BCS is Mid-Major.

Is Richmond major? Is La Salle major?

I think a good rule of thumb to be a major might be: you can have other majors come to your arena and play.

majors dont play each other ooc. since when does chapel hill invite any power conference team to the dean instead of nicholls st/kent st/valpo/unca?

majors dont play each other ooc. since when does chapel hill invite any power conference team to the dean instead of nicholls st/kent st/valpo/unca?
Chapel Hill played Kentucky, OSU, Rutgers, Penn, and others.

UNC does not travel to play non-majors, even if they make up most of their schedule.

I think you misunderstood. I meant if you can have a major come into your arena (i.e. Halton) and play basketball… not if you can go somewhere and play.

ACC/Big 10 challenge definitely doesnt count. I will give you Kentucky and Rutgers though, they’re amazing.

ACC/Big 10 challenge definitely doesnt count. I will give you Kentucky and Rutgers though, they're amazing.
Majors don't travel often, but when they do... it's pretty much never to a small school's gym. Kentucky only traveled to Houston and Indiana. Florida only traveled to Ohio State.

Edit: Even if Kentucky sucks, they’re certainly a major… Rutgers is in a major conference, as well. This isn’t an argument of “who sucks”, because you can suck at the moment and still be a major.

Kentucky is probably the epitome of major, hell they’re probably the best program in men’s basketball history.

It’s really annoying because the media created this term but never made a clear definition for it and how many other subdivisions there are. Is it 3? 5? Are these subdivisions supposed to have equal distribution of the 341 D1 teams?

I know I am still in the minority as far as what to label our team and conference but it is a hard conversation to have when there is no clear cut definition. It is annoying also when you don’t even know what someone is trying to say about your school or conference when they use this term.

Some more salt in your wounds for those offended by this: [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major#Basketball[/URL]

ever heard of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge:tumble:

Majors don’t have to invite other majors to their arena because they get enough of them in conference season. If you played in one of the major leagues, like ACC, Big Ten, etc., you’re going to get a tough home schedule every second semester, so how tough are you going to make it on yourself?

IMO schools like northwestern are mid-major schools. Same with Seton Hall.

You trying to tell me Memphis is a mid-major because they play in CUSA? Well, if thats the case a Mid-major is a top contender to take the national title.

Some more salt in your wounds for those offended by this: [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major#Basketball[/URL]

The morons who authored that Wikipedia entry have Memphis listed as Mid-Major. I don’t think we need to go any further.

[QUOTE=ninerID;283214]Devil’s Advocate here:

2. Is St. Bonaventure a “high-major”?[/QUOTE]

They problem with that argument is there is teams in BCS conferences that aren’t high-major. Teams like Northwestern, South Florida (although much improved), Oregon St., Baylor, Rutgers, etc. don’t initially strike you as the high-major.

Don’t give me the football argument for some either, this article is talking about basketball.

That being said, Xavier is not a mid-major team. If you want to call La Salle, St. Bona, or Fordham mid-major then I would probably be fine with it. But, a team like Xavier doesn’t fit the classification in basketball. They spend big, win big, and do it consistently.

That also brings up another point, ever wonder what a big part of Xavier’s and Dayton’s ability being able to land big recruits? Money.

How quickly we forget. What about Alabama, Miami and Indiana? Or Clemson next season? Technically Maryland and Wake Forest were home games too. No, it wasn’t Halton. But yes, 80-90% of the crowd was pro 49er.

IMO schools like northwestern are mid-major schools. Same with Seton Hall.

You trying to tell me Memphis is a mid-major because they play in CUSA? Well, if thats the case a Mid-major is a top contender to take the national title.

I know the article is talking about basketball but it doesn’t make sense to say one is a major in one sport and a mid-major in another. So I’m considering both programs and throwing in Duke, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Providence, Nebraska, DePaul.

Personally, I think coming into an opposing team’s arena and being called a “mid-major” school, and then blowing them out, is a beautiful thing. I like it.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;283220]The media consider anything that’s not BCS is Mid-Major.[/QUOTE]
BULLSH1T !!! Is or has any of the following been considered mid-major? Georgetown, Syracuse, UCONN, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, UNLV, BYU, New Mexico, New Mexico State?

I could continue, but do you get the picture?