Our Offensive Philosophy

Let me start by saying that I don’t live in the area so the only times I really get to see our team is when they are on television. I try each year to make the Homecoming game but that’s about all I can do because of where I live. That said I can remember reading an article online from the Observer a while back where they were talking about the addition this season of all the transfers, etc. and how they started out slow, but had gelled together better and were playing well (this was during our earlier winning streak of 5 games I believe) finally. Lutz was quoted in the article saying something to the effect of how it might have taken some extra time for the new guys to “learn our system” and then a player was quoted saying something like you can’t just pick up our system overnight. Now my question…WHAT SYSTEM ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT? Just about every time I see us on television our so called system seems to consist of guys standing around and the guards/wings passing it around the peremiter until somebody launches a 3 pointer. Where is the movement off the ball? Where are the screens? Where is the high low game? Back screens anybody? The main thing I take away is that we have very little MOTION to our offense and guys have free reign to take bad shots from downtown. Withers is his own worst enemy at times. He never seems to demand the basketball and floats around the peremiter far too much for my taste considering his best play is near the basket. This is why I think people make jokes about what are our practices like because we don’t seem to execute any type of real offense. Lots of free lancing, one on one drives, and passing it around the 3 point line. Do we actually run any plays like other teams do? Do any of our point guards ever seem to get others in position and shout out plays? Maybe we do this when I’m not seeing them play, but just about everytime I see us on TV, the above description is how we seem to play and it’s awful basketball to watch and must be a dream to defend if you are an opposing coach/player. I just don’t get what our offensive system is that Lutz and the players were referring to in that article I read. What a joke.

Of course we have a system…Mitchell tries NOT to bring the ball up,than Curtis moves up high so as not to set a screen,than we launch an offbalance 3,and try to get back as slowly as possible on defense. This,of course,is followed by Lutz getting a T because he’s so frustrated that he’ll blame the refs.Got it now…and we have exectued this style of play beautifully!

Lutz must have an offense in mind, but the truth is that we don’t have a PG that could execute anything. I think Mitch is a nice person, but a bad basketball player.

I tried to post a thread like this one last night. Everyone is blaming the point guards or Curtis about our offense. I have never seen a team run an offense set that is so bad in my life. Both GW and X run great pass and cut, set screens, and run sets that should be run at this level. My high school team had a better offense than what the Niners run. It is awful that we pass the ball around for 25 seconds and then throw up and off balance three ball. I would like someone to explain what exactly we are trying to run. We even passed up lay up yesterday to shoot a three. That is bad coaching. A three is good, but if you can get a shot inside 10ft, take that shot, not a three ball. I think Lutz needs to hire an offensive minded assistant to help him next year. I have seen the same offense for 3 yrs and it is not getting any better. Better players is not going to equal better team if we can’t run an offense. If you think about it, if we do not hit three balls, we lose. We cannot depend on one shot to win ball games.

Not much movement on offense and not nearly enough driving to the basket.

However, the most obvious offensive issue is the complete and total lack of shooting skill.

Without Rob Moxley’s offensive schemes…we SUCK!

Our offense versus man to man defense has been pretty good this year. Our zone offense is awful. Teams know we like to jack 3s and when GW played their zone that was all we did. Teams have been typically scared to play zone versus us because of your 3 point shooting. We don’t have the 3 point shooting we have had and teams are picking up on that.

In games were we have seen man we shot well, mainly because we would get good looks from 3 in the flow of the offense. Against zone the players are passing the ball on the perimeter and taking 3s that they are not stepping into and the results have been missed 3s. We don’t have a guy who can play the foul line extended area versus a zone to open up the inside. EJ was probably the best candidate, but he is out.

Lutz must have an offense in mind, but the truth is that we don't have a PG that could execute anything. I think Mitch is a nice person, but a bad basketball player.
He's a hell of a basketball player, but just very inconsistent, and that's what has been killing us.

And I agree, he is a great guy in person.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;150188]…I think Mitch is a nice person, but a bad basketball player.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me that he has possibly lost some of his enthusiasm.

Maybe he hasn’t, but to me it just looks like he has.

How can you blame the players for what is happening. They are executing what they are given or lack thereof.

It seems to me that he has possibly lost some of his enthusiasm.

Maybe he hasn’t, but to me it just looks like he has.

The bottom line is that ever since the last bad shoulder injury, Mitch has not been himself. Keep in mind that prior to that, Mitch would often explode down the court in transition and drive to the basket for an easy layup. He rarely had any trouble outsprinting the defenders and had no fear of attacking the basket.

How many times this year have you seen Mitch get the pass off an opponent’s miss and go the length of the court for a layup or dunk? It doens’t happen. He did it a couple times against Rhode Island and the place went crazy because we all saw the old Mitch for a brief moment.

He plays way too hesitant and passive since getting hurt. Without his penetration, he’s simply mediocre as a PG. And history shows that teams without good PG’s struggle to win games.

[QUOTE=Woodman;150205]I tried to post a thread like this one last night. Everyone is blaming the point guards or Curtis about our offense. I have never seen a team run an offense set that is so bad in my life. Both GW and X run great pass and cut, set screens, and run sets that should be run at this level. My high school team had a better offense than what the Niners run. It is awful that we pass the ball around for 25 seconds and then throw up and off balance three ball. I would like someone to explain what exactly we are trying to run. We even passed up lay up yesterday to shoot a three. That is bad coaching. A three is good, but if you can get a shot inside 10ft, take that shot, not a three ball. I think Lutz needs to hire an offensive minded assistant to help him next year. I have seen the same offense for 3 yrs and it is not getting any better. Better players is not going to equal better team if we can’t run an offense. If you think about it, if we do not hit three balls, we lose. We cannot depend on one shot to win ball games.[/QUOTE]
Niners shot better percentage from three than two.Thats just the facts.Without someone to break down a defensive good shots are going to be hard to get against good teams.Xavier & George Washington are very good teams.They are just better than the niners

Without Rob Moxley's offensive schemes.....we SUCK!

We’re doing exactly what we’ve always done. This year we don’t have Eddie/Plavich or Jobey/Diego to make shots.

Look at the years we’ve struggled. We haven’t had a great shooter. Even though Demon hit a ton of 3’s the 13-16 year, he still didn’t shoot a good percentage and his teammates were worse.

We have 3 streaky shooters and 1 post player. That’s about it. All the other guys were Juco for a reason.

[QUOTE=ninerrbl;150457]Niners shot better percentage from three than two.Thats just the facts.Without someone to break down a defensive good shots are going to be hard to get against good teams.Xavier & George Washington are very good teams.They are just better than the niners[/QUOTE]

Curt with the ball on the block collapses almost half the defense. :confused:

I remember the game when Mitchell got hurt last year. It was when we were playing St. Louis and I remember being very impressed with his play. Believe he had 11 points in the first half before he got hurt.

Look man…if he’s so hurt he shouldn’t be playing…period.Personally I think that excuse is very old and tired.He acts and plays like he hates what he’s doing,and he’s hurting the team.None of the defenses worry about him shooting,they just collapse on Curt or overplay our other 3point shooters.He’s a shell of the competitor i’ve seen for the last 2 years,I just don’t think he’s got that fire.And whatever buttons Lutz has been pushing sure haven’t been the right ones.If I had to put the 1 thing that bugs me more than anything else about this team I would just say when you go to the next game…watch how we set and try to get thru screens vs. our opponents,to me that says it all.And part of that is coaching!!!