Our poor recreational facilities

A) Obviously the gym (weight/cardio room) here is terrible, and about 1/4 the size needed for a school of 20k+ people. I think I read this was currently in discussion… anyone know what the latest on a new gym possibility is?

B) Basketball courts. If you play at night it’s often difficult to ever get a court on the weekend indoors in belk or the sac. I played a lot last year on the outdoor courts beside RDH last night even though they were complete garbage, but they had lights. They FINALLY put up new backboards/rims this past semester. I live in Phase III though, so it’s still a good walk since it’s only one court and may be taken. There are courts beside Martin, I think 2 court areas. There’s room there for more goals I believe paved, but there aren’t any. This would be great… however there are no lights. Come on? Most people have classes during the day… why have unlit courts? I e-mailed rec-services about this a while ago about the poor RDH courts and lack of lighting, which was about a week before they put up new goals at RDH, but nothing was done about lighting.

C) Soccer. I know the front fields are torn up now, but we have decent fields down at the engineering buildings. I think there’s only two goals there right now… and they’re locked together. Why not let people play on them? There’s only one indoor court here for soccer… which is in the belk and basically a basketball court. They don’t loan out indoor balls, and I asked Mr. Holt (director of rec services/intermural) about it, and they can’t afford to loan out balls because they don’t have enough and break easily. Fine, we could buy our own ball right? Wrong apparently. My friend went out to buy one and I noticed the goals were locked facing the wall. I went back and ask Mr. Holt if they can unlock them so we could practice (we play intermural indoor soccer currently) and he said they don’t allow that, and if we want to play we have to play without goals. So basically with all the fields and space we have at UNCC, we have to go play at the TERRIBLE fields at the Mallard Creek park.

Again I don’t know if any of this is in the works currently, I’m not up to date with everything. I know I’d rather have some decent rec areas than a new student union though.

C) Soccer. I know the front fields are torn up now, but we have decent fields down at the engineering buildings. I think there's only two goals there right now... and they're locked together. Why not let people play on them? There's only one indoor court here for soccer... which is in the belk and basically a basketball court. They don't loan out indoor balls, and I asked Mr. Holt (director of rec services/intermural) about it, and they can't afford to loan out balls because they don't have enough and break easily. Fine, we could buy our own ball right? Wrong apparently. My friend went out to buy one and I noticed the goals were locked facing the wall. I went back and ask Mr. Holt if they can unlock them so we could practice (we play intermural indoor soccer currently) and he said they don't allow that, and if we want to play we have to play without goals. So basically with all the fields and space we have at UNCC, we have to go play at the TERRIBLE fields at the Mallard Creek park.
I think i know the two goals your talking about by the engineering buildings. Those are for the men's and women's club teams and they would have the combo for the goals. I know for lacrosse, we are the only people who have access to the combo for our goals.

Id try talking to an officer of one of the clubs and see if they’ll let you use their goals

I think i know the two goals your talking about by the engineering buildings. Those are for the men's and women's club teams and they would have the combo for the goals. I know for lacrosse, we are the only people who have access to the combo for our goals.

Id try talking to an officer of one of the clubs and see if they’ll let you use their goals

Why not have some actual goals provided by the schools for the fields? I mean they can bolt/cement them down… just doesn’t make sense. They are HUGE fields… and regular students can’t use fields on them

Why not have some actual goals provided by the schools for the fields? I mean they can bolt/cement them down... just doesn't make sense. They are HUGE fields... and regular students can't use fields on them
I think club sports only lets club soccer use the perpendicular field, which is the same one lacrosse is relegated to. That's as much as I know.

It’s all about money. They don’t have enough money in the budget to allow anyone to use all the goals. It’s not a fear of people stealing them, it has to do with repairing the nets I guess.

It is pathetic, the only thing sports you can play outside easily is play frisbee or tag football.

A new non-athletes rec center is a priority in the master plan.

It's all about money. They don't have enough money in the budget to allow anyone to use all the goals. It's not a fear of people stealing them, it has to do with repairing the nets I guess.

It is pathetic, the only thing sports you can play outside easily is play frisbee or tag football.

A new non-athletes rec center is a priority in the master plan.

I’m guessing it won’t happen till after I’m gone from here anyway. Oh well

[QUOTE]A) Obviously the gym (weight/cardio room) here is terrible, and about 1/4 the size needed for a school of 20k+ people. I think I read this was currently in discussion… anyone know what the latest on a new gym possibility is?[/QUOTE]

Before the SAC opened in 96, we had the weight room in the bottom of Belk Gym to service 15,000 students!

[QUOTE]B) Basketball courts. If you play at night it’s often difficult to ever get a court on the weekend indoors in belk or the sac. I played a lot last year on the outdoor courts beside RDH last night even though they were complete garbage, but they had lights. They FINALLY put up new backboards/rims this past semester. I live in Phase III though, so it’s still a good walk since it’s only one court and may be taken. There are courts beside Martin, I think 2 court areas. There’s room there for more goals I believe paved, but there aren’t any. This would be great… however there are no lights. Come on? Most people have classes during the day… why have unlit courts? I e-mailed rec-services about this a while ago about the poor RDH courts and lack of lighting, which was about a week before they put up new goals at RDH, but nothing was done about lighting.[/QUOTE]

The budget that Rec Services has is VERY tight. The monies are allocated according to how much participation each area (intramurals, club sports, aquatics, rec facilities, etc.) has. It may seem like alot of people play pickup basketball, but when you compare that to intramurals or club sports, it really doesn’t compare. For this reason, the amount of money allocated for things like sand volleyball courts or outdoor basketball courts isn’t anywhere near what it needs to be to even think about covering the cost for installing lights for outdoor courts.

[QUOTE]C) Soccer. I know the front fields are torn up now, but we have decent fields down at the engineering buildings. I think there’s only two goals there right now… and they’re locked together. Why not let people play on them? There’s only one indoor court here for soccer… which is in the belk and basically a basketball court. They don’t loan out indoor balls, and I asked Mr. Holt (director of rec services/intermural) about it, and they can’t afford to loan out balls because they don’t have enough and break easily. Fine, we could buy our own ball right? Wrong apparently. My friend went out to buy one and I noticed the goals were locked facing the wall. I went back and ask Mr. Holt if they can unlock them so we could practice (we play intermural indoor soccer currently) and he said they don’t allow that, and if we want to play we have to play without goals. So basically with all the fields and space we have at UNCC, we have to go play at the TERRIBLE fields at the Mallard Creek park.[/QUOTE]

Before the rec field complex was built behind the baseball stadium, the options for playing on an outdoor field were even more limited. You had the front field, the field that was inside the old track (no longer there), and two fields adjacent to the Fieldhouse. There were soccer goals set up for people to use, but non-students would come on campus to use them, thus tearing up the equipment. These non-students, as well as students would also go out and use the fields when they were still wet after a rain. They would tear up the field, causing intramural and club sports games to be postponed, as well as causing the Grounds Dept. to spend money and time (when the fields would be closed) to repair them. All of the money for repairs to fields and equipment came out of the budget of Rec Services. Guess where the money comes from for the Rec Services Budget? You got it - your tuition. So, in order to keep the amount of money asked for from each student each year to a minimum, actions had to be taken to ensure that the students got adequate fields to play on, thus the locking of the goals on the outdoor fields. I can’t really comment on the goals inside Belk Gym, but again, there is no one there to monitor the usuage of the goals, and the money is not in the budget to replace the goals should they get damaged during open play.

Again I don’t know if any of this is in the works currently, I’m not up to date with everything. I know I’d rather have some decent rec areas than a new student union though.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, the folks that run Rec Services go to bat for the students each and every year when it comes to asking for more money for new and different programs, as well as asking for increased facility usage time that has to be split between Athletics, Rec Services, Rec Facilities, and the Kinesiology Dept. They also beg and plead for more recreational facilities each time that long term planning is discussed for the university.

Yeah so I had this brilliant idea back before teh whole student union deal was released to the public… the current bookstore would make a great weight room - at least in the basement. Lots of area with reasonably high ceilings. why not? any word on whats actually going in there when the student union opens?

Totally agree on the soccer goals - beginning of the year there were 3 fields with goals on them bc of the local club teams and rec teams that would play on them for tourneys etc. Now there are two behind the old soccer stadium and the two in the old soccer stadium (assuming its unlocked and not being used) Basically if we want to play we have to go across mallard creek to play with the mexican guys down in the flood zones. I have no problem doing that, but sometimes it gets really crowded out there and it completely ruins any organization you ahve going on - its like 5 year olds playing where theres just a big swarm of guys around the ball at all times.

Soccer goals are a must IMO. We have tons of foreign students who play because its what they do when they are at home - and (like it or not) its a growing sport in the states (please dont turn this into a soccer bashing thread, I know its not going to be the next NFL) - I for one was a runner in highschool, but when I got here i couldnt force myself to run, so I picked up soccer bc I hadnt played in years and it keeps me in good shape. So there.

A) Obviously the gym (weight/cardio room) here is terrible, and about 1/4 the size needed for a school of 20k+ people. I think I read this was currently in discussion... anyone know what the latest on a new gym possibility is?

B) Basketball courts. If you play at night it’s often difficult to ever get a court on the weekend indoors in belk or the sac. I played a lot last year on the outdoor courts beside RDH last night even though they were complete garbage, but they had lights. They FINALLY put up new backboards/rims this past semester. I live in Phase III though, so it’s still a good walk since it’s only one court and may be taken. There are courts beside Martin, I think 2 court areas. There’s room there for more goals I believe paved, but there aren’t any. This would be great… however there are no lights. Come on? Most people have classes during the day… why have unlit courts? I e-mailed rec-services about this a while ago about the poor RDH courts and lack of lighting, which was about a week before they put up new goals at RDH, but nothing was done about lighting.

C) Soccer. I know the front fields are torn up now, but we have decent fields down at the engineering buildings. I think there’s only two goals there right now… and they’re locked together. Why not let people play on them? There’s only one indoor court here for soccer… which is in the belk and basically a basketball court. They don’t loan out indoor balls, and I asked Mr. Holt (director of rec services/intermural) about it, and they can’t afford to loan out balls because they don’t have enough and break easily. Fine, we could buy our own ball right? Wrong apparently. My friend went out to buy one and I noticed the goals were locked facing the wall. I went back and ask Mr. Holt if they can unlock them so we could practice (we play intermural indoor soccer currently) and he said they don’t allow that, and if we want to play we have to play without goals. So basically with all the fields and space we have at UNCC, we have to go play at the TERRIBLE fields at the Mallard Creek park.

Again I don’t know if any of this is in the works currently, I’m not up to date with everything. I know I’d rather have some decent rec areas than a new student union though.

wahhh.

You should of seen what the basketball team, vasity sports, and the STUDENTS shared in the basement of the Shaft 12 years ago…A converted racquetball court turned weightroom. The newer gym in Halton is far better.

Only one indoor soccer court? :lmao:

while your mgmt gripes about locked or unlocked could be very true, you need to shut up about the options you currently have bro

dp

Before the SAC opened in 96, we had the weight room in the bottom of Belk Gym to service 15,000 students!

The budget that Rec Services has is VERY tight. The monies are allocated according to how much participation each area (intramurals, club sports, aquatics, rec facilities, etc.) has. It may seem like alot of people play pickup basketball, but when you compare that to intramurals or club sports, it really doesn’t compare. For this reason, the amount of money allocated for things like sand volleyball courts or outdoor basketball courts isn’t anywhere near what it needs to be to even think about covering the cost for installing lights for outdoor courts.

Before the rec field complex was built behind the baseball stadium, the options for playing on an outdoor field were even more limited. You had the front field, the field that was inside the old track (no longer there), and two fields adjacent to the Fieldhouse. There were soccer goals set up for people to use, but non-students would come on campus to use them, thus tearing up the equipment. These non-students, as well as students would also go out and use the fields when they were still wet after a rain. They would tear up the field, causing intramural and club sports games to be postponed, as well as causing the Grounds Dept. to spend money and time (when the fields would be closed) to repair them. All of the money for repairs to fields and equipment came out of the budget of Rec Services. Guess where the money comes from for the Rec Services Budget? You got it - your tuition. So, in order to keep the amount of money asked for from each student each year to a minimum, actions had to be taken to ensure that the students got adequate fields to play on, thus the locking of the goals on the outdoor fields. I can’t really comment on the goals inside Belk Gym, but again, there is no one there to monitor the usuage of the goals, and the money is not in the budget to replace the goals should they get damaged during open play.

Believe me, the folks that run Rec Services go to bat for the students each and every year when it comes to asking for more money for new and different programs, as well as asking for increased facility usage time that has to be split between Athletics, Rec Services, Rec Facilities, and the Kinesiology Dept. They also beg and plead for more recreational facilities each time that long term planning is discussed for the university.

thank you

The good thing about the weight room in belk is it was near forgotten, when i went there at least (grad 2003). most of the time there would be maybe 2-4 other people in there. the downside was the machines were a little antequated.

It has always been tough to pick up a court in the sac or belk. some guys play like 3 hour games and the big kicker was sometimes guys would invite like 7-8 non students and let them in the back door. Usually you have to mix in with the guys on the court, and bak in my day the RDH did not have lights or nets.

wahhh.

You should of seen what the basketball team, vasity sports, and the STUDENTS shared in the basement of the Shaft 12 years ago…A converted racquetball court turned weightroom. The newer gym in Halton is far better.

Only one indoor soccer court? :lmao:

while your mgmt gripes about locked or unlocked could be very true, you need to shut up about the options you currently have bro

metro, basically you just said he should be happy with $10, when everyone else at similar universities gets $50, just because you only received $3. While our options are in fact better, they’re nowhere near good enough for a 20K+ University practically begging students to become more involved. Most schools our size have more options for kids to stay active, ON CAMPUS.

Also, the reason the soccer nets are locked in Belk has more to do with people being unable to monitor, so when the ball hits one of those hanging ceiling lights and breaks it, no one knows who to charge for the repairs.

From my experience at a much larger school (Rutgers) and from other people at other schools, our facilities to play pick-up basketball are tremendous.

Not only do we have a number of indoor full courts, but they are in air conditioned climates and are of pretty high quality.

I agree that we are lacking in the weight room department, but part of that is due to no one even considering the Belk gym. Obviously if we get a football team, the weight room situation will change for the better for everyone.

Everybody needs to quit their bitchin’ about this. Our rec facilities are a hell of a lot better than a lot of the schools I’ve seen. Are we really upset that there are not enough soccer goals? I used to play soccer. Here is a hint. Use little orange cones and mark off goals. It is not a big deal. That helps your skill anyway bc it forces you to keep the shot lower in a smaller area. Is this really something we need to bring up right now while we’re trying to get football approved?

btw, don’t hold your breath that football = better weight room. Most NCAA football teams have their own weight room.

From my experience at a much larger school (Rutgers) and from other people at other schools, our facilities to play pick-up basketball are tremendous.

Not only do we have a number of indoor full courts, but they are in air conditioned climates and are of pretty high quality.

I agree that we are lacking in the weight room department, but part of that is due to no one even considering the Belk gym. Obviously if we get a football team, the weight room situation will change for the better for everyone.

Belk Gym weight room isn’t supposed to be used by anyone. I was told that it’s only for the students studying athletic training or taking similar courses. Regular students have to use the one in the SAC, which is usually packed at convenient times for students.

And while Rutgers may be that way, you can go to schools elsewhere that make ours look pitiful. And even if you think ours is “good enough” compared to what you had, what’s wrong with wanting our options to be top notch for students?

metro, basically you just said he should be happy with $10, when everyone else at similar universities gets $50, just because you only received $3. While our options are in fact better, they're nowhere near good enough for a 20K+ University practically begging students to become more involved. Most schools our size have more options for kids to stay active, ON CAMPUS.

Also, the reason the soccer nets are locked in Belk has more to do with people being unable to monitor, so when the ball hits one of those hanging ceiling lights and breaks it, no one knows who to charge for the repairs.

Seriously. Metro, did you walk 10 miles uphill to school in the snow also? Give me a break.

That part is understandable though, he told me I could practice though but without goals…

For the soccer aspect, I just wish we had goals outside at least considering how many fields we have. I guess I understand there’s not money budgeted for it, I just think it sucks there isn’t. Because those fields across the street are so bad. Our fields are good… just lack goals

Everybody needs to quit their bitchin' about this. Our rec facilities are a hell of a lot better than a lot of the schools I've seen. Are we really upset that there are not enough soccer goals? I used to play soccer. Here is a hint. Use little orange cones and mark off goals. It is not a big deal. That helps your skill anyway bc it forces you to keep the shot lower in a smaller area. Is this really something we need to bring up right now while we're trying to get football approved?
I mean thats just one of the things. The earliest we will get football is 2012, which is cool and all, but the students who do actually go here will all be graduated by then. I suppose if we wanted UNCC could just drop all rec services except for varsity sports and we could get money for football faster... I'd personally like to play some soccer a little bit. We're talking about 60mil for football and then 1k for some soccer goals (completely random guess). I bet that will kill our chances of football.
and bak in my day the RDH did not have lights or nets.
Seriously, and you graduated in 03? The light setup looks reallyyyyy old and doesn't always work right

You guys all against my posts have already graduated though… keep in mind some of us are still in school and want to do more than just be able to watch varsity sports. I’m sure it’s better now than it was for you, but that doesn’t mean everyone wants to settle.

Edit- Thank you for your constructive post though Smoothie