OVER-rated

I wanted to get people’s opinions on who is overrated in the NFL with the upcoming season. I recall the article that came out last year naming T.O., and the year before that naming Urlacher.

I’ve got a few and my reasons.

1.) Vick - obvious reasons even before the whole indictment.
2.) Troy Polamalu
3.) Tony Romo

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;253955]I wanted to get people’s opinions on who is overrated in the NFL with the upcoming season. I recall the article that came out last year naming T.O., and the year before that naming Urlacher.

I’ve got a few and my reasons.

1.) Vick - obvious reasons even before the whole indictment.
2.) Troy Polamalu
3.) Tony Romo[/QUOTE]

um Jake Delhomo?

In no particular order…

Vince Young
Reggie Bush
Dwight Freeney
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher
Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning
Sean Taylor
Dre Bly

I did not include any first or second year player, because they have not had enough time to prove themselves.

Eli Manning, definitely.

um Jake Delhomo?

Not sure if you can count him as overrated. I don’t know anyone that thinks he’s anything other than a serviceable starter at best. Peter King’s QB ranking this year has him at #16. Behind such notables as Kitna, Pennington, Favre and McNair.

Fantasy Sites are even more brutal…
NFLImpact.com has him at #25
FootballGuys has him at #20

Jeremy Shockey

Troy Polamalu?

He’s been solid everytime I’ve seen him play. What are your reasons.

Most overrated…Anyone who has ever been on the cover of Madden.

Here are my lists and caveats:

Overrated in the normal sense:

1. Donovan McNabb. Last two years have been injury plagued. In fact he’s missed 6 or more games in 3 of his 8 seasons and missed 4 games in a 4th season. Has a losing record in games he played since the Super Bowl appearance.

2. Brett Favre. A Hall of Famer who has degraded into a totally pedestrian QB who threw TD-INT ratios of 20-29 and 18-18 (38-57 overall) in the last two seasons and whose yards per attempt are at career lows the last two years. Yet he still ends up on SportsCenter getting verbal handjobs nearly every week.

3. Steve McNair. Has always been slightly overrated in my opinion. Rushed for 674 yards in 1997 and rushed for 337 or better from 1997 to 2002. Then he got old and hasn’t gone over 140 rushing in a season in the last four. Has never thrown (never!) more than 24 TDs in a season. Has a TD-INT ratio of 40-32 over the last three seasons.

Borderline overrated (the “Prove It” list):

1. Drew Brees. Based solely on his yardage from a fantasy perspective. TDs, INTs and completion percentage were in line with expectations, but he suddenly pulls an extra 900 yards out of his rear and becomes arguably a top-3 fantasy QB. He’d still be a top QB, but he took it to another level last year and I want to see him do it again before he is in the conversation with Peyton, etc.

2. Cedric Benson. Has proved nothing so far yet is being taken high in fantasy drafts and the Bears pinned their hopes on him. Did average 4.1 ypc.

3. Randy Moss. Averaged 88-1396-13 over his first six seasons but over his last three seasons only 50-775-8. Even adjusted for games lost (missed six over last three seasons after missing none for first six seasons), his numbers were still way down.

Troy Polamalu?

He’s been solid everytime I’ve seen him play. What are your reasons.

Most overrated…Anyone who has ever been on the cover of Madden.

The guy is good at his job, and doesn’t run his mouth, but everyone and their mother is all over his nuts. I don’t believe he should have gotten paid so much as he was given by the Steelers either. Like I said he’s a damn good safety but the media, primarily ESPN, would suck his nuts if given the opportunity. Guys can be good but do not deserve the amount of attention usually directed at them… atleast he handles it well.

In no particular order...

Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher

You’re joking right?

Do you actually watch football?

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;253991]The guy is good at his job, and doesn’t run his mouth, but everyone and their mother is all over his nuts. I don’t believe he should have gotten paid so much as he was given by the Steelers either. Like I said he’s a damn good safety but the media, primarily ESPN, would suck his nuts if given the opportunity. Guys can be good but do not deserve the amount of attention usually directed at them… atleast he handles it well.[/QUOTE]

Plus he made the pro-bowl over the best young safety in the AFC…Kerry Rhodes, complete BS. (Although Lynch shouldn’t have made it at all.)

You're joking right?

Do you actually watch football?

Urlacher is carried by the rest of his outstanding defense and isn’t that amazing anyway, and Lewis hasn’t been worth much since his whole murder incident.

Playing MLB is a lot easier when the rest of your defense is loaded with top defensive players in the league.

Also, I was going to point out Jake Delhomme isn’t high rated by anyone, but I felt it was pointless to respond to dax’s trolling.

how bout tom Brady? I’m not saying he isn’t a good player, he is. But people give him a hell of alot more respect than he deserves. Put him on a some of the other teams in the nfl and he would be an average nfl qb.

Jeremy Shockey

I strongly disagree with this one. I think the word to use is not overrated, but underused. Eli is so stuck on one receiver as soon as he gets the snap, that Shockey will be wide open, and instead he’ll fling one up to Burris. Shockey gives his all on every play he is in, including being a great blocker. He might seem a little crazy, but the fact is that almost everytime the ball is thrown his way, he makes something happen. Even if it is only 3 times per game. Last year he might as well have been an offensive lineman.

I dislike the Patriots strongly, but, there is no way that Brady is overrated.

He’s been the model of consistency for six years in a row, with five really stellar years in a row. Missed only one game in six years, none in the last five. You know exactly what you’re going to get from him: averaged 25.8 TD and 13.2 INT.

Not to mention that his WR core has included such mega-studs as Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, Doug Gabriel, Deion Branch, David Givens, David Patten. (Those names were his top three receivers in some combination over the last five years).

PS - Brady has a 12-2 lifetime postseason record with a 20-9 TD-INT ratio and three Super Bowl victories.

[QUOTE=NinerPride;253998]how bout tom Brady? I’m not saying he isn’t a good player, he is. But people give him a hell of alot more respect than he deserves. Put him on a some of the other teams in the nfl and he would be an average nfl qb.[/QUOTE]

Listen, I hate the Patriots more than anyone, but to say Tom Brady is overrated is ridiculous. Who knows if he ever would have got a chance to play if Mo Lewis didn’t put Bledsoe in the hospital, but it happened and he took full advantage of it.

If he was on a different team he might not have 3 Super Bowl victories, but he has been an all-pro QB with suspect WRs and RBs over his career.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Brady Quinn? A lot of hype so far but maybe it’s too early.

Listen, I hate the Patriots more than anyone, but to say Tom Brady is overrated is ridiculous. Who knows if he ever would have got a chance to play if Mo Lewis didn't put Bledsoe in the hospital, but it happened and he took full advantage of it.

If he was on a different team he might not have 3 Super Bowl victories, but he has been an all-pro QB with suspect WRs and RBs over his career.

Tom Brady is an amazing quarterback with incredible decision making, precision, and abilities; however, his wide recievers don’t get enough credit. Every single wide reciever on that team made the team because they were fundamentally strong, which is what the patriots wanted. They weren’t flashy or exceptionally physical studs, but they could make important catches, run crisp routes, and not complain about touches.

Give those guys some credit, and don’t bash them because they weren’t obnoxious jackasses that begged for attention and touches like other receivers in the league. I think we’ve come to a point as fans and even as management in the league sometimes… that we appreciate popularity over quality in some instances… The opposite of this seems to be the patriots’ recipe for success.

Also, I’m pretty sure Deion Branch is considered a top receiver in the league, anyway… if you want to get technical.

Branch might be “considered” a top WR by some, but that’s all based off of one good year out of five in his career and the fact that Seattle overpaid the Pats for him.

The only year he went over 57 catches in a season was his free agent year in 2005 with New England, and even that year he wasn’t very good, when he had 78-998-12.8-5. That’s good but not great. Otherwise he’s barely ever been over 800 yards in a season. Never been to a Pro Bowl.

Brady’s wide receivers are all B.S. He has never had any physical studs that he could just throw the ball to and let them go and get it, which makes him even more valuable.