Panther QB situation

Superstar, stopgap or dud?

I find it funny (but yet typical) that Panther fans would question Jake when last year he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Amazing what a couple games can do to sway an opinion. By the way, I’m not directing this towards you Lefty…just some of the Panther fans I hear grumbling about Jake’s performance yesterday.

In my opinion, Jake is the man to lead this team into the future but NO quarterback is going to excel behind that offensive line. He made a couple mistakes but that’s to be expected from someone who’s only really in his 2nd year of the NFL as a starter. I don’t think you would see any upgrade at QB by going with someone else on the roster at this point. I like Jake and I think he has a world of potential. But he has to have the right tools to work with or he’s going to fail and he’s going to be the scapegoat for a series of other problems. I saw very little disclipine on that team yesterday which is the polar-opposite from last year’s squad. Panthers had a chance to put themselves in position to win that game yesterday. Yes, Jake made a bad play but he’s not the reason they lost that game. Goes well beyond that.

You stick with Jake. He got you there last year and he can get you there again but more pieces of the puzzle need to be in place. And without Steve Smith on that field, the Panthers do not really have a game breaking player on their offense. Not to mention, Jake has lost his primary target as well.

Jake is the man, but he definitely didn’t have a career day yesterday. He’ll right the ship. But I’ll agree about the O-Line - definitely shaky on the right end.

Well, I’m still not sold on Jake. Remember, I’m a Weinke guy. :smiley: And no, I don’t think he’s the answer.

Anyways, until you get someone like Peyton Manning as your QB, you continue to look to upgrade. Everyone admits that Jake can’t score a bunch of points. If you’re down 10 or 14, you need someone who can still win the game for you.

I nearly broke the remote yesterday when the Panthers had 3 and literally, one inch and Willig got whistled for the false start. They had to punt after that and in like two plays, the Falcons got a TD. Little things like that kill a team and can’t be blamed on the QB. To me, that play at that point in the game was no worse than what Jake did at the end. But let’s face it, Willig is essentially a fill-in player anyway. Damn if he isn’t HUGE though. Ate dinner a couple tables down from him at The Palm one night and I swear, he was the biggest human I’ve ever been in direct contact with. I would NEVER tell him that he sucks as an O-lineman. :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 02:39 PM [b] If you're down 10 or 14, you need someone who can still win the game for you. [/b]
Or you need a solid running game, good offensive line and a lack of turnovers/stupid penalties/injuries so that you don't fall 10 to 14 points behind in the first place and have unwarranted blame placed on a QB. :D

Willig is a big dude. If you’re a running team who just went to the superbowl, you don’t screw with your O-line. Hurney and Fox are killing himselves for that one.

jcl, that’s a cool signature pic you got there? Any chance it comes in a wallpaper border? :smiley: I just did one for LL in his new room but had to go with general sports theme border (although, he does have a 49er corner for the bobbles). That would have been cool.

[b]And without Steve Smith on that field, the Panthers do not really have a game breaking player on their offense. Not to mention, Jake has lost his primary target as well. [/b]

Smith being out at the same time as Davis is killing the Panther’s offense. Foster is a good running back, but he can’t make his own holes like Davis can. As JCL mentioned, Smith being the big play threat he is keeps the running lanes open. Without the threat of a big play and no bruiser in the backfield, the Panther’s will continue to get blitzed like they did yesterday. At Denver and at Philly coming up. 1-4 and the wagoneers will be calling for Delhomme’s head. :ph34r: :argue: