Parrish: No need to wait for this POY pick

No need to wait for this POY pick

For the bugmenot.com illiterate, you can use falken@dod.gov with a pass of joshua to get access to it.

A little taste of the article…

[i]Originally posted by Garry Parrish[/i] [b] Francisco Garcia or Eddie Basden.

Whichever guy was better in their head-to-head match-up was going to be Conference USA’s Player of the Year. Just look at the box score, and vote Friday morning.

As for me, my ballot was done before tipoff. I didn’t care what happened, because there was no question Basden had already established himself as the best player in this league this season. [/b]

Thanks to Real for hte heads up…

[i]Originally posted by NinerMac[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 08:06 AM [b] As for me, my ballot was done before tipoff. I didn't care what happened, because there was no question Basden had already established himself as the best player in this league this season. [/b]
Good to see at least [i]someone[/i] has a clue and not handing it to Garcia because of who he plays for. Despite two lackluster performances, I still think Eddie is the clear-cut winner. Hopefully, the majority of those voting will share Parrish's sentiments. And I look for Eddie to get back to doing what he does best on Thursday.

When will the winner be announced?

Parrish also gave his nod to Basden for C-USA Defensive Player of the Year:

[b]Defensive Player of the Year

Again, this one was easy. Again, Basden got the nod, and he’ll get the award today.

The 6-5 forward averaged 3.3 steals per game during the regular season, which ranked fifth nationally. Considering he’s not a point guard and Charlotte doesn’t really press, this statistic is astounding, and a testament to just how good Basden is defensively.[/b]

BTW, the C-USA Player of the Year will be announced tomorrow.

this memphis fan thinks that Basden is much better than Garcia.

[i]Originally posted by fsquid[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 12:35 PM [b] this memphis fan thinks that Basden is much better than Garcia. [/b]
Hell, I think O'Bannon is better than Garcia. He was critical to UL's success, for sure. FG wasn't even the best player on his team and most UL fans will admit that.

And if you just wanna look at numbers, Withers came on so strong late that his are really, really good.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 06:40 PM [b] Hell, I think O'Bannon is better than Garcia. He was critical to UL's success, for sure. FG wasn't even the best player on his team and most UL fans will admit that.

And if you just wanna look at numbers, Withers came on so strong late that his are really, really good. [/b]

I think O’Bannon is still lighting us up from outside as I type this. :stuck_out_tongue: I agree that a case could be made for his worth vs Garcia’s for Louisville. Both are solid players so I can’t take anything away from Garcia.

Withers definitely picked it up to close out the season. Had he been more consistent early on, I think we’d be talking about a 3-way race. That may be a bad thing for us though with the vote splitting. I still think Eddie deserves it, hands down.

And from the same story, props to E J Drayton as sixth man…

[b]Sixth Player of the Year

Last year Cincinnati’s Tony Bobbitt took this award. He came off the bench and was the Bearcats’ second-leading scorer. So it was an easy selection.

This year, there is no clear pick. But I went with Charlotte’s E.J. Drayton, who averaged 8.8 points and 4.5 rebounds in 22.9 minutes per contest. Those numbers are the best of the bunch.[/b]