pat forde on bobby

My point being you don't tell your top shooter to stop shooting, it kills confidence. That is Bobby's approach.

If he ran a different system, then him telling his top shooter to stop shooting might be acceptable, but Lutz runs a system that depends on forgetting your last miss.

Telling someone to stop shooting and “coaching” that player to take better shots are two entirely different things. When people say to have our boys stop shooting, what they should really be saying, and what Forde meant by this is to stop shooting bad shots. Nobody in their right mind would want Lee to “stop” shooting all together, but for Bobby to allow him and everyone else on this team (I apologize if I sound like I’m singling Lee out) to shoot the threes and crazy, uncontrolled shots we take on a regular basis is just insane. Coaching will never make a player lose his confidence. That is the most ridiculous excuse for letting a bunch of guys play street ball on a D1 basketball team that I have ever seen. That is what Forde is putting accross here. I used to be a very good shooter in high school. When I was off, my coach would’ve benched me for throwing up some of the shots that our guys shoot on the court, but even if I went 0-7 for a game, my coach never got mad because 1. I would only shoot if it was a controlled shot that wasn’t forced, 2. he knew that eventually I’d hit 4 in a row. The thing that kills us is not the amount of threes, it’s the shot selection. Any of you who do not see this just do not understand how the game should be played.

[QUOTE=919R;294398]We finished 2nd in the A10 2 years ago…not that bad…[/QUOTE]

That team underachieved, in my opinion. All the seniors on that team, making the NIT was a disappointment after two straight years of NCAA’s. After the failure last year, that year looks like a great year I realize. Maybe I am the only one who thinks Wither’s senior year was a disappointment.

[QUOTE=fishniner;294382]I’m switching to Switchfoot. 'Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

Lets go fishing!!

[QUOTE=run49er;294319]Well, that really shows how much Forde has NOT been paying attention to what’s happening with Lutz & Co. this season. Hmmm…[/QUOTE]

Good gracious people, get a clue. Forde’s right- for all the good this year there’s been bad. Now our chest is out b/c we beat the worst team in the league by 4.

Beating Clemson and Wake was very satisfying. Losing to Monmouth and Hofstra blew a big one.

The good news is the future looks bright. But it’s hard to dispute the last couple of yrs.

BTW, finishing second in a one bid league (I know we got two b/c the 1 seed lost in the tourney which we didn’t, ahem, win) is worthless.

[QUOTE=run49er;294330]Quoting the exact passage by Forde on Lutz…

Sorry, but I don’t agree with Forde’s assessment that Bobby might be fired at season’s end.[/QUOTE]

we can only hope

Switchfoot, great idea re going fishin’. The Xavier game is the swordfish, all of the
other games we’ve played is bottom fishin’. lol

Maybe I am the only one who thinks Wither's senior year was a disappointment.

No, you’re not the only one. We had very high expectations for that year with good reason and we blew it by not playing quality basketball. ****, I think we were even ranked in the preseason that year.

FWIW, my beef with Forde is that his assessment of Lutz’s situation is more germane to LAST year, particularly when you read all of the love he gives to UD, Duquesne, UMass, URI, St. Joe’s, and X following his comments on Bobby. Not going to get any argument from me that both the Niners and the A-10 underachieved the past couple of seasons. But to give props to the A-10 for a resurgence in 07-08 and then leave us out is ludicrous. If there is a coach on the hot seat in the A-10 this season, it’s Whittenburg, not Lutz.

That team underachieved, in my opinion. All the seniors on that team, making the NIT was a disappointment after two straight years of NCAA's. After the failure last year, that year looks like a great year I realize. Maybe I am the only one who thinks Wither's senior year was a disappointment.

I don’t disagree that 05-06 was disappointing (I expected to win the league that year) but you stated that we had struggled in the A10 for the last 2 years and I don’t think second place in the league, is struggling in the league regardless of whether we under-achieved or not.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;294328]My point being you don’t tell your top shooter to stop shooting, it kills confidence. That is Bobby’s approach.

[/QUOTE]

It’s time to retire DeAngelo’s jersey.

[QUOTE=919R;294581]I don’t disagree that 05-06 was disappointing (I expected to win the league that year) but you stated that we had struggled [B]in the A10[/B] for the last 2 years and I don’t think second place in the league, is struggling [B]in the league[/B] regardless of whether we under-achieved or not.[/QUOTE]

I was speaking as a PROGRAM we have struggled.

I was speaking as a PROGRAM we have struggled.

You do realize we may very well end up with a similar record (18-20 wins) and postseason (NIT) this year as in 05-06, right? Granted, it does FEEL better this year, but in actuality I’m not sure we are that much better this season than we were that year. Neither team was great, but I wouldn’t say either team really “struggled”. Thats all I’m saying.

[QUOTE=919R;294644]You do realize we may very well end up with a similar record (18-20 wins) and postseason (NIT) this year as in 05-06, right? Granted, it does FEEL better this year, but in actuality I’m not sure we are that much better this season than we were that year. Neither team was great, but I wouldn’t say either team really “struggled”. Thats all I’m saying.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you to a point. Both teams struggled to win against lesser competition. That team lost to Valparasio at home and St. Louis at home, along with losses to Northwestern and I believe Wyoming.

I beleive this year if you switch out the wins vs Wake Forest, Southern Illinois, Davidson, and Clemson for Monmouth, Hofstra, Richmond, and Tulsa that people wouldn’t be so proud of Bobby. I think it’s sad that this will mark the 3rd straight year of no NCAA berth, first time since Lutz has been here. But I think the school is unwilling to spend money and barring a collapse Bobby’s here to stay. I am hoping for a trip back to the NCAA’s next year.