Patrick O'Brien QB Mooresville/UNC PEMBROKE

Patrick O’Brien has joined the Charlotte 49ers.The 6ft4in 205 QB was invited to join the team by coach Lambert after the walk on tryouts.I was told at the brief walk on tryouts that O’Brien has a gun with major college velocity and strenth.He is also a real good running the ball and is a very tough kid who likes the contact.Can flip the ball up to 70 yards.Coming in ready to compete for job.This kid went to UNCP last year at 185 lbs and after spring football and intense weight training he is almost around 210.Out of approx.100 walkons, 5 were asked to join team including 2 other UNCP Braves Josh Tann and DeMario Alexander.Congrats to all three.

Do you mean Damarrell?
http://uncpbraves.com/sports/fball/2011-12/bios/alexander_damarrell_j0lw

Another Porter Ridge kid if so.

Thanks for the update.

Yes Demarrel Alexander Porter Ridge

Profile: http://uncpbraves.com/sports/fball/2011-12/bios/o-brien_patrick_l97p

Sound like solid additions, the building continues!

Good to hear, it would be nice to start the program off with good QB play.

Kid was added to the team as the 4th QB. Previous 4th guy move to a new position. Hope he does well, but Oldschool you can stop the “reporter-like” assessments of the kid. You are connected to the kid, which is fine, but that skews your assessment of the actual opportunity. The Mel Kiper-esque critiques can go away. We love him. He is a Niner. But let him compete and we will see who takes the snaps in 13.

Thank you! Very well said.

[quote=“NinerJags, post:7, topic:26961”]Kid was added to the team as the 4th QB. Previous 4th guy move to a new position. Hope he does well, but Oldschool you can stop the “reporter-like” assessments of the kid. You are connected to the kid, which is fine, but that skews your assessment of the actual opportunity. The Mel Kiper-esque critiques can go away. We love him. He is a Niner. But let him compete and we will see who takes the snaps in 13.[/quote]Well said.

Compete,Well said.

clt wants to hear more about his upside.

The best way to see upside is to wait until everybody gets in the pads and head out to the field. Then they play football.None of the insiders were at the walk-on tryouts?I hope you are not going by the star system, you know the one where high school players obtain stars like Generals in the Army as they go through their high school carears to the point where they actually start believing they are going to the NFL.You can go back to any years on NC PREPS this or Rivals that and look up these “can’t miss” stars and for the most part most of them are washouts.Example,lets take 2009 and go to the Tarheels.Heck most of these three and four star should be household names by nowI basically went with the first 20-25 players, four and five stars,creme of the crop.Moss,Boyd,MCadoo?,Bell,Hunter,Shankler,Collins,Rhodes(a sub at Memphis State)Bond,a three star who is a starter,Bunn,and V Davis.Furr, and at NC STATE Crawford and Dowdy.Here are the facts Boyd,last year,2 catches.Been injured last three games.Collins,with the exception of the JMU game last year, has played only special teams and that is it.Dowdy in his fourth year is getting on the field for the first time and Sylvester Crawford has amassed three tackles.Furr takes a handoff at ECU about once every other game.Oh I forgot the creme of the crop Devonte Moss,a five star can’t miss.Assaults,DUI’S and trouble.The point: don’t get all caught up in the star system.Its a business.The best players make it through hard work and heart and all those “STARS” don’t do anything for you once you get on the field.Some players play in great programs with great coaches and stability while others may not have had that same opportunity.The stars of tomorrow aren’t necessarily the stars of today.The other mentioned players are no longer in the program and I don’t think it was a result of early graduation.

It’s strange. You know how to use the space bar, but not after using a period.

Stars mean nothing once a player gets on campus, everyone here knows that. Obrien will have a shot to move up the depth chart since he’s the best QB on campus.

My only thought is, he didn’t seem to do that at UNCP. What makes him our best QB?

I think comments should be about football and not trying to belittle someone about their computer savy.Especially someone who goes by the moniker "J Felt"Do you want me to start now or wait?

Sokool part duex?

yes

and so… IT BEGINS!!!

100 pct sure none of this will have anything to do with the success or failure of O’Brien or any other player in the program. Building a case on the failure of certain players - of which most of us have zero backstory - is a stretch. Lot of no star to 5 star guys in NFL. Ditto the other way around.

It’s never a good start when trying to promote one player you end up bashing his future teammates.