Pay for Play?

[quote=“hootie, post:20, topic:23940”]Sure the bigger stars get lots of TLC. No telling what Lattimore is worth at USC now. I accept it as that’s life.

Big producers at major companies get more perks in lots of cases too- doesn’t bother me.[/quote]

yeah, they get rewarded. And I don’t really have an issue with it. The best of the best get the best. It’s always been that way, it will always be that way.

I vote no on Pay to Play. Before you vote keep in mind that this money has to come from somewhere and ultimately you the sports fan will foot the bill. If you just wrote your $49 check to the Athletic Foundation that will pay for dinner for Shamari so you need to step it up.

I sure did, and I worked all four years I was there. It ended up costing me about 20k. That’s bumpkiss compared to what the universities and NCAA have made off of a player like Tim Tebow. ESPN too.[/quote]

But…between the 2 options, which is better for the student? Working for 4 years or getting a free ride? The scholarships, meals, travel really gets over looked as being worth nothing. A person that has a college degree immediately gets a better paying job once they graduate too. That can be payback for life.

None scholarship athletes make money for the school too. Granted, it may not be as “exploitive”. But scholarship athletes at Charlotte paid for Halton and are going to pay for football. We aren’t going to see a dime of the revenue.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:17, topic:23940”][quote=“919R, post:15, topic:23940”][quote=“Powerbait, post:14, topic:23940”][quote=“919R, post:12, topic:23940”][quote=“Niner National, post:8, topic:23940”]Considering athletes have so many stipulations on working, they should receive a small stipend from the NCAA (not the school itself). This eliminates the problem of big schools paying and small schools not being able to. A nominal salary of $5,000 is reasonable and would the equivalent of working part time.

A scholarship is not ‘pay.’ A student on academic scholarship isn’t banned from working or under scrutiny if they have a job.[/quote]

Lets see…they also get to travel extensively and get meals paid for much of the time. This on top of the scholarships which are worth thousands (sometimes, hundreds of thousands) of dollars. If its such a bad deal for these “kids”, don’t accept the scholarship. I promise someone else will take it, as is.[/quote]

The school and NCAA can profit from them, but they can’t profit in return? How is that cool? You buy NCAA football and the stats are based on the players playing. They have the same backgrounds, stats and abilities. They even look similar.

People buy jerseys of their favorite college player. The NCAA uses big time players to sell games. They sell the players, make millions of dollars, and the players get bumpkiss. They should at least give players royalties for using their likeness in commercials.[/quote]

Did you pay your own way to college?"[/quote]

I sure did, and I worked all four years I was there. It ended up costing me about 20k. That’s bumpkiss compared to what the universities and NCAA have made off of a player like Tim Tebow. ESPN too.
[/quote]

Thats your OPINION. I disagree. You seem to think that the universities are reaping all this reward from these poor little exploited kids and that they have done NOTHING to earn it. No investment, whatsoever.

There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

Yes, I agree, getting a good college education in exchange for playing a sport is a good deal, but when the school is making hand over fist on your accomplishments, wouldn’t you want a piece of that as well?

THIS!!! x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

[quote=“J Felt, post:25, topic:23940”]There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

Yes, I agree, getting a good college education in exchange for playing a sport is a good deal, but when the school is making hand over fist on your accomplishments, wouldn’t you want a piece of that as well?[/quote]

Yep…and I’d get it as soon as I go pro (but not before). You forget, if not for that university’s platform he may never get to the pros. The school gives them the “stage”.

I can see getting some of your likeness after college, but with so many players divided up it’s going to be very small.

And let’s not forget, these players get any girls they want as well. :wink: How much tail would they get if they were in a computer lab instead of a football field. Are they going to donate tail to less popular guys?

Or amongst sports. Or amongst experience. For instance, John Wall only played one year. But clearly he was the most integral part of the Kentucky team. But do you pay him more than you pay a Patrick Patterson, who played 3 years? Or how do you determine if one player’s worth is more to a team than another player is to their team. Like should Gordon Hayward get paid more than a Devin Ebanks? Both teams made it to a Final 4. Or how about a great player, who isn’t on a great team? Would it make sense that a Andre Dawkins would make more money than Chris Anderson, since Duke won the National Championship?

[quote=“J Felt, post:25, topic:23940”]There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

Yes, I agree, getting a good college education in exchange for playing a sport is a good deal, but when the school is making hand over fist on your accomplishments, wouldn’t you want a piece of that as well?[/quote]

But who’s going to determine each players “value”? It seems crazy to me that you pay a Vince Young but not his center. Or what if the QB is just part of a system? See Chris Leak. Jay Cutler is a better QB than Chris Leak. But Leak made more money for Florida than Cutler made for Venderbilt.

[quote=“Normmm, post:30, topic:23940”][quote=“J Felt, post:25, topic:23940”]There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

But who’s going to determine each players “value”? It seems crazy to me that you pay a Vince Young but not his center. Or what if the QB is just part of a system? See Chris Leak. Jay Cutler is a better QB than Chris Leak. But Leak made more money for Florida than Cutler made for Venderbilt.[/quote]

The same way you do when a professional athlete’s image gets used to promote something. Everytime pro athlete’s likeness appears on something, they get a cut. If the school is making money selling a certain athlete’s jersey they should get a cut after they graduate.

[quote=“J Felt, post:31, topic:23940”][quote=“Normmm, post:30, topic:23940”][quote=“J Felt, post:25, topic:23940”]There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

But who’s going to determine each players “value”? It seems crazy to me that you pay a Vince Young but not his center. Or what if the QB is just part of a system? See Chris Leak. Jay Cutler is a better QB than Chris Leak. But Leak made more money for Florida than Cutler made for Venderbilt.[/quote]

The same way you do when a professional athlete’s image gets used to promote something. Everytime pro athlete’s likeness appears on something, they get a cut. If the school is making money selling a certain athlete’s jersey they should get a cut after they graduate.[/quote]

Generally the pro athlete has a contract to use his image. What you’re talking about could be a random image on the cover of USA Today. That type of image promotes the school and the paper makes money from it. So for instance Brendan Plavich’s buzzer beater at IU. But it wouldn’t make sense that he would get paid and Eddie Basden wouldn’t.

What about all of the images of the Football Stadium that we’re paying for?

[quote=“Normmm, post:30, topic:23940”][quote=“J Felt, post:25, topic:23940”]There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

For starters, Chris Leak wasn’t a system QB. Tim Tebow was. Leak was a good QB on a great team, but he was also not the face of the program. There were a lot of guys getting more run than him and hell, Tebow was getting as much press as he was on that title team. There were a lot of people saying that Tebow should start the title game.

Secondly, Cutler probably made a lot more for Vandy than Leak made for UF. A superstar at a weaker school is going to generate more interest than an above average player at an elite school.

So if we sell likenesses of the FB stadium, does part of that revenue refund my FSL? :))

[quote=“Powerbait, post:33, topic:23940”][quote=“Normmm, post:30, topic:23940”][quote=“J Felt, post:25, topic:23940”]There’s a big difference between the offensive lineman that doesn’t have an NFL future getting a full ride scholarship and the all-american QB who’s image and likeness the school/NCAA/media uses to make millions of dollars.

For starters, Chris Leak wasn’t a system QB. Tim Tebow was. Leak was a good QB on a great team, but he was also not the face of the program. There were a lot of guys getting more run than him and hell, Tebow was getting as much press as he was on that title team. There were a lot of people saying that Tebow should start the title game.

Secondly, Cutler probably made a lot more for Vandy than Leak made for UF. A superstar at a weaker school is going to generate more interest than an above average player at an elite school.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Chris Leak won a National Championship and an SEC Championship. Those 2 games alone brought in way more money than Cutler brought to Vandy. In fact, by winning the BCS game Leak also brought in money for Vandy.

By system QB, I didn’t mean Meyer’s system. I meant you could probably insert a lot of other QBs on that Florida team and they’d still win the Nat Champ.

And I wasn’t comparing Leak with Tebow. I was comparing Leak with Cutler. I’ve could have just as well said Matt Moore, Josh Freeman or Matt Schaub. All better QBs who didn’t play on a team as good as Leak’s in college. So it doesn’t make sense that Leak would get paid more than those guys in college.

But you said Leak brought more money to Florida. That’s not true. Did the punter on that team make more money for Florida also? He was on a title team too. Cutler winning games for Vandy earned the university more money than Leak did, just because Cutler did more to win games than Leak did.

And, Leak wasn’t a system QB. The very definition of a system QB is one who excels because of the system, regardless of their ability.

[quote=“Normmm, post:35, topic:23940”]What are you talking about? Chris Leak won a National Championship and an SEC Championship. Those 2 games alone brought in way more money than Cutler brought to Vandy. In fact, by winning the BCS game Leak also brought in money for Vandy.

By system QB, I didn’t mean Meyer’s system. I meant you could probably insert a lot of other QBs on that Florida team and they’d still win the Nat Champ.

And I wasn’t comparing Leak with Tebow. I was comparing Leak with Cutler. I’ve could have just as well said Matt Moore, Josh Freeman or Matt Schaub. All better QBs who didn’t play on a team as good as Leak’s in college. So it doesn’t make sense that Leak would get paid more than those guys in college.[/quote]

There are lots of folks in the pros making more than they deserve if you only based it on talent. Same thing could happen in college.

Compensation wouldn’t be based on talent, it would be based on merchandise sales and other promotional items that use that player’s likeness.

Just tossing this in,

If we were to ‘pay’ players, would we charge them tuition? Also, would we charge them special facility charges since athletes get the good equipment/facilities?

Not leaning one way or the other yet, just haven’t seen these issues addressed.

So BCS and conference championships money doesn’t count as far as “exploiting” players? I believe the BCS money is more than any Cutler jersey sales they may have had. Plus, like I said, Vandy made $ from Florida’s bowl games. I’d even venture to guess that Florida sold more Leak jerseys than Vandy sold Cutler jerseys.

I already explained my usage of “system” in regards to Leak. I meant the Florida team was good enough that they could have plugged in many different QBs and still been as successful. You said it yourself. He was a good QB on a great team.

So what I’m saying is should a good QB on a great team make more money than a great QB on a good team? Because more than likely the great team is going to make more money than the good team.

So are we going to charge those who participate in non-revenue sports to play? That’s the other side of the argument. Schools use money from revenue sports to help with the financial burden of non-revenue sports.

Also, the money would have to even for every school the specific division (Every football player get an equal share of the overall pie). Thus, the NCAA would have to implement revenue sharing, and the BCS schools would probably be strongly opposed to this.

What would be interesting is if each school had the same “pool of money” to recruit. Therefore you could go offer a guy in the top 10 more than everyone else, but you’d probably have a bunch of scrubs around him. That would be pretty interesting.