PC Gamers...need help

So with the way the season is going, I’m looking for ways to spend free time other than NNN. So I’ve never been a PC gamer and am looking to maybe get a game. While looking at some of the Circuit City clearance sales, I saw Half Life.

Anybody familiar with it? I was a little confused as to all of the different “versions”. There was a Half Life Orange Box, Half Life 2 - Episode 1, Half Life 2 -Episode 2, etc. Does matter which one to buy? In other words, do you have to buy episode 1 before getting the next? Is the a recommended PC game? It seems to have high ratings from some of the PC magazines.

Half Life has been around forever. The original Half Life is a first person shooter and is ranked among the best PC games of all time.
Half Life makes other games using the same engine, including Counter-Strike, the most popular online first person shooter ever.
The Orange Box comes with a bunch of Half Life’s multiplayer games which are pretty fun, and Portal.

I have never understood the fascination with 1st person shooters. I hate them. From Wolfenstein on down.

Role playing games on the other hand? I can (and would) play them every waking hour of the day. Which is why I can’t have any.

Some of my favs were the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise and Warcraft.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;377948]I have never understood the fascination with 1st person shooters. I hate them. From Wolfenstein on down.

Role playing games on the other hand? I can (and would) play them every waking hour of the day. Which is why I can’t have any.

Some of my favs were the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise and Warcraft.[/QUOTE]

I particularly like 1st person shooters/sports games/strategy based games because I can pick them up and lay them down at anytime. With WoW or Final Fantasy 11, you have to sit there and play the games all the time which means devoting your life to it!

So with the way the season is going, I'm looking for ways to spend free time other than NNN. So I've never been a PC gamer and am looking to maybe get a game. While looking at some of the Circuit City clearance sales, I saw Half Life..

Doood ur totly gnna be pwning noobs!!!111oneone

Half Life has been around forever. The original Half Life is a first person shooter and is ranked among the best PC games of all time. Half Life makes other games using the same engine, including Counter-Strike, the most popular online first person shooter ever. The Orange Box comes with a bunch of Half Life's multiplayer games which are pretty fun, and Portal.

So do you have to have the first one for the other games to work or make sense? I wouldn’t think so, but the reason I ask is because some of the games, like Episode 2, was only around $15. Which seemed really low for a game that received high ratings and when compared to the cost of others like GTA.

I particularly like 1st person shooters/sports games/strategy based games because I can pick them up and lay them down at anytime. With WoW or Final Fantasy 11, you have to sit there and play the games all the time which means devoting your life to it!

This sounds like the way for me to go too. I just want something that I can periodically pick up and kill an hour or two with.

Pork Chop Gamers?

Doood ur totly gnna be pwning noobs!!!!111oneone

I have no idea. I’m guessing this is some gaming lingo or smack. If it’s not Tiger Woods or Mario Brothers 1, I’m totally out of the loop.

Pork Chop Gamers?

Mmmm…I love pork chops! Had it tonight.

I have no idea. I'm guessing this is some gaming lingo or smack. If it's not Tiger Woods or Mario Brothers 1, I'm totally out of the loop.

haha I was just messin with ya, stereotyping PC gamers.

I’m like you, sports games and maybe a little old school Mario. Outside of that I don’t play anything else. I don’t do PC games though, I just play the ps2 games I accumulated 5 or 6 years ago.

NO WAI1!1!!!11one!!!one!1!!

[QUOTE=Chisox17;377954]Doood ur totly gnna be pwning noobs!!!111oneone[/QUOTE]

I know someone who talks exactly like that. He’s…strange. and a convicted felon. or so ive heard.

So with the way the season is going, I'm looking for ways to spend free time other than NNN. So I've never been a PC gamer and am looking to maybe get a game. While looking at some of the Circuit City clearance sales, I saw Half Life.

Anybody familiar with it? I was a little confused as to all of the different “versions”. There was a Half Life Orange Box, Half Life 2 - Episode 1, Half Life 2 -Episode 2, etc. Does matter which one to buy? In other words, do you have to buy episode 1 before getting the next? Is the a recommended PC game? It seems to have high ratings from some of the PC magazines.

I’ve been past the gaming phase for quite some time but some of the best times I’ve ever had (as far as PC gaming goes) was playing the Half Life series. You don’t need to play them in any order but I highly recommend that you do because the series tells a story. You need to start from the very beginning to truly understand and appreciate it. Sure, you can play any of them if you just want to do some frivolous killing but you’ll enjoy it more if you follow the progression as intended. Personally, I enjoyed HL Ep.1 the most. I think mostly because it was the first game I played after having a true gaming rig and the graphics were fantastic.

Have fun. I don’t have the time for it anymore but still kind of miss gaming.

I've been past the gaming phase for quite some time but some of the best times I've ever had (as far as PC gaming goes) was playing the Half Life series. You don't need to play them in any order but I highly recommend that you do because the series tells a story. You need to start from the very beginning to truly understand and appreciate it. Sure, you can play any of them if you just want to do some frivolous killing but you'll enjoy it more if you follow the progression as intended. Personally, I enjoyed HL Ep.1 the most. I think mostly because it was the first game I played after having a true gaming rig and the graphics were fantastic.

Have fun. I don’t have the time for it anymore but still kind of miss gaming.

Thanks! That’s what I was looking for.

Now I guess I’m off to “pwing some noobs”.