Phil Jones article up on NR

[URL=http://www.ninerreport.com]www.ninerreport.com[/URL]

He’s lost ten pounds over the offseason, and is quicker and stronger. I like to hear that. At 6’10 and around 255, he has plenty of size, but is slimmed down enough to get up and down the court. He also talks about playing for the Virgin Islands team.

You guys will love who he says in the NBA his game most resembles :biggrin:

I want to see the “dominant low post moves”. Seriously. I love Big Phil, but that is the weakness in his game. He’s a very good face up shooter, but I’ve never seen him rebound or score like a traditional post player.

I want to see the "dominant low post moves". Seriously. I love Big Phil, but that is the weakness in his game. He's a very good face up shooter, but I've never seen him rebound or score like a traditional post player.

QFT. I laughed at that part. I too really like Big Phil a lot and think he has a TON of talent, but he has no post moves outside of the jump hook and a little fadeaway. He needs to attack TOWARDS the basket a lot more.

its like being a 5’3" 112 lb guy and not being able to ride a horse!

Big Phil is a black guy who is 6’10" tall and around 255!!!

Lets be honest, not racist… black men seem to have more athletic ability in the NBA. Not ALWAYS!!!, but mosty. I also threw that in there to ruffle some feathers for you overly sensitve people.

Phils needs to take advantage of God’s gift. If I was 6’10" I would be working my but off to get to the NBA and live the life of luxury!!! If I saw big Phil in a dark alley at 2 am… i’d be more scared of the cat digging in the trash can. He needs to get an attitude and be fierce… hopefully Spears is rubbing his anger issues off on him.

Phils needs to take advantage of God's gift. If I was 6'10" I would be working my but off to get to the NBA and live the life of luxury!!!

Dude. He is. He’s one of the hardest working guys on the team. He was over 270 when he got here, he’s now around 250 and twice as quick. The NBA may be a bit of a strecth, but if he gets more agressive, and learns some TO-THE-BASKET post moves, I can see him landing a roster spot.

I like Phil and hope this year he shows tremendous growth. But previously, dude was slow, foul prone, and not in shape.

He says he’s in much better shape, and I hope so. He needs to be. If he only plays 18 mins a game for our team this year, we are dangerously thin in the frontcourt.

I reeeeeeallly wish someone would tell him to go towards the basket instead of away from it…and yes he has a decent touch, but he would be much better served under the basket. Please someone tell him this. Please dont try to be Dirk, it aint happening.

everytime someone sees Phil on campus…smack him on the back of the head (if you can reach it). By the time the season starts he will be so pissed off, backboards will come down.

everytime someone sees Phil on campus.....smack him on the back of the head (if you can reach it). By the time the season starts he will be so pissed off, backboards will come down.

Post of the week!

I dunno how many of you saw the highlights from FIBA, but the one highlight they showed of him vs Puerto Rico (i think) there was some dude in the lane and Phil just moved him out of the way and scored. It was pretty nasty. They guy had NO chance.

And btw, Phil looks pretty ripped. He was scary before, but now I think he might actually eat one of the smaller players…

I’ve said it before, he should be getting 10-10-3 a game but I’ll take 8-10-3 from him.

Big men take time… that being said he needs to show us this season.

[B]Big men take time[/B]....
Not attacking Phil here, but why is that? Takes time to develop not being slow and unaggresive?

Usually when you tell a player to attack the rim and go up strong… THEY DO!!!

I see young guys at the Y doing it… heck, the ball may get blocked to the upper level but I could attack the basket with all my bodily force. Why shouldn’t a D1 college player be able to?

Here’s a theory…

Basketball skill is genetic… you either have the talent or you dont. If you don’t, these players end up playing basketball based on their height alone while coaches “try” to teach them the talent which doesn’t always work. Hate to use this example, but Hansbaby. Nobody could deny he was not scared to attack the basket and get his head knocked off. Is this ability that hard to learn?

I see him as a D’Or Fisher type:

[URL]http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/west-virginia/d-or-fischer[/URL]

Last two years were at WVU.

he has no post moves outside of the jump hook

Rather have his jump hook than Iti’s :wacko:

[QUOTE=ShaGGy;434149] He was scary before, but now I think he might actually eat one of the smaller players…[/QUOTE]

:lmao:Phil has never been scary.

My wife used to think Phaler looked scary.

Here's a theory...

Basketball skill is genetic… you either have the talent or you dont. If you don’t, these players end up playing basketball based on their height alone while coaches “try” to teach them the talent which doesn’t always work.

This is might be part of it. But I think it has more to do with multiple years of real weight training.

I also think it is a little bit of a false perception that big guys usually need more time. Smaller players sometimes need time too, but they are less likely to get it because short players are plentiful to recruit. True 6’10" and above guys are rare, so they get some leeway to develop by the fans and coaches.