Pick up games

I was able to catch several minutes of one of the pickup games and here is what to expect –

Most Improved - Leemire Goldwire - taking and making the 3pointer and displaying some super quick to the basket moves. Probably more of a two guard, but has super quick first step that might look pretty good in transition. Looks a lot stronger.

Most Improved Runner Up - Chris Nance - rebounding with tenacity (remember Cam Stephens second year?). Hitting the free throw line jumper with regularity and really looks CUT. Preston has got everybody looking fit.

Biggest Impact Rookie - The obvious is De’Angelo, but he isn’t playing yet (nor is Mitchell or Jerell Jamison). Courtney Williams may surprise some people. Really mobile and can actually handle the ball. Head and shoulders ahead of Martin as a rebounder and finisher. Good size body and looks in good shape.

Biggest Rookie - Antwon Coleman, hands down. Needs to drop another 15-20 lbs, but he has lost a reported 40 since coming here for the summer. Has really nice baseline jumper, but not sure he is ready to elevate above any shot blockers he might see.

Plavich replacement - Leemire really looked confident and strong, but Marcus Bennett can get it going as well. Doesn’t have Plavich range (who does?), but hit three consecutive baseline threes that didn’t touch the rim.

Others who played – Curtis Withers looked super cut and was REALLY vocal with his teammates. Showed a lot of leadership and seemed really “in it”. Still doesn’t get the ball enough, but hits about every open shot he gets. Jerrel Lewis is developing. He is really quick and can hit open shots, but needs to work on his decision making. EJ Drayton has the most “changed” body of the group. Huge shoulders that now allow him to play the 4 spot and rebound with the big boys. Made a lot of medium range jumpers and spinning drive shots. Mitch Mullis is pretty athletic and can get out in transition. Might fall victim to a numbers game behind Nance/Williams/Coleman/Withers/Drayton at the 4/5 spots. He is probably really a three, but it will take some time. For those that are having visions of Tyler Best, don’t – MUCH more athletic than Tyler.

Thanks! The Provider for a great pre season sneak preview. It’s great to know that everyone is healthy and ready for our first season with the A-10. [SIZE=4]Go Niners ! ! ![/SIZE]

I passed Antwon today and literally didn’t realize it was him. He’s lost that much weight since we first saw him. Still a big boy, but he has already come a long way.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like we will make some noise this year.

[i]Originally posted by Niner89[/i]@Aug 31 2005, 11:39 PM [b] It's great to know that everyone is healthy and ready for our first season with the A-10. [SIZE=4][b]Go Niners ! ! ![/b][/SIZE]re [/b]
Take that back! Knock on wood! Do something!! :D

Sure, we lost Sager, Plavich, and Basden, but we are way better this year than last. Now if we can translate that into wins, we should be able to go Sweet 16!

How about this category…most likely to get your hopes up in a PICKUP GAME only to have them dashed during the actual season.

I’m sorry but I couldn’t resist…this is worse than setting expectations based on the McInnis league.

GREAT WRITE UP PROVIDER!!! Thanks for the update, I just paid for my season tickets yesterday. I can’t wait to see the boys in person.

Pro Am updates from me were meant to be summer reading and keeping the tumbleweed out. If someone translates that to a Final Four appearance, that’s up to them.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a lot of talent. Is DA injured? I think NinerCowbell mentioned it a few days ago. Hope he’s ok.

i saw deangelo, marcus, curt, leemire, mitchell, and antwon today and they all looked extremely confident. So obviously they must be jelling well with the rest of the team

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Sep 1 2005, 10:33 AM [b] Pro Am updates from me were meant to be summer reading and keeping the tumbleweed out. If someone translates that to a Final Four appearance, that's up to them. [/b]
Right. Summer league and pick up games are about as good a measuring stick as using high school stats.

It’s barely even basketball. Run and gun with no defense and almost no offensive sets.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Sep 1 2005, 03:35 PM [b]It's barely even basketball. Run and gun with no defense and almost no offensive sets.[/b]
There's a Lutz joke to be made here, but I wish Coach the best so I'll defer...... Go Niners.