Plavich gets a free pass from now on..

I don’t ever want to see another post bashing Plav here again. He has earned a free pass for the rest of the season, thus the rest of his career. He may have games where he is 1 for 13 but thats ok because he is the only player we have who wants to and is capable of hitting the big shot. The 3 to tie and the 3 to win will go down as one of the greatest sequences in 49er history. They are not a great team, but going into IU and getting a win is ALWAYS an accomplishment. Thank you Plav for saving our season and thank you for being the ONE player willing to step up when we need him.

IMO, Kinch’s dunk over Phil Hubbard in the Michigan game and Dinkins’ basket against UAB to clinch the Sun Belt title were two best shots in 49er folklore. But I believe Plavich’s 3-pointer may the number one shot now.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 12:14 AM [b] IMO, Kinch's dunk over Phil Hubbard in the Michigan game and Dinkins' basket against UAB to clinch the Sun Belt title were two best shots in 49er folklore. But I believe Plavich's 3-pointer may the number one shot now. [/b]
I wish I was as old as you to remember or see those shots, but Plav's has got to be up there....
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 11:14 PM [b] IMO, Kinch's dunk over Phil Hubbard in the Michigan game and Dinkins' basket against UAB to clinch the Sun Belt title were two best shots in 49er folklore. But I believe Plavich's 3-pointer may the number one shot now. [/b]
The offensive dunk (rebound + dunk) by Clemmons at ECU last year that sent the game into overtime has to be up there too, but it doesn't beat this.
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 11:14 PM [b] IMO, Kinch's dunk over Phil Hubbard in the Michigan game and Dinkins' basket against UAB to clinch the Sun Belt title were two best shots in 49er folklore. But I believe Plavich's 3-pointer may the number one shot now. [/b]
Those shots were clutch, Plavich's was a prayer. Big difference.

That was probably the most dramatic win in 49er history.

I spoke with Marlon Thomas after the game and we recalled the Memphis 3/4 court shot in 98. It was the craziest shot we could remember going back that far.

I’ll be watching Sportscenter all night just to see if they show it again.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 12:03 AM [b] Those shots were clutch, Plavich's was a prayer. Big difference.

That was probably the most dramatic win in 49er history.

I spoke with Marlon Thomas after the game and we recalled the Memphis 3/4 court shot in 98. It was the craziest shot we could remember going back that far. [/b]

I agree with you completely. A three pointer for you! :thumbsup:

[b]I don't ever want to see another post bashing Plav here again.[/b]

Then poke your eyes out now.

That was awesome but sh*t luck.

Everyone wants to bitch about his shot selection, but admit it, everytime it leaves his hands you think it is going in. I would much rather see him shooting threes then watch curtis fumble the ball out of bounds. His 3 point shooting against IU was bad for him, but still equates to 50% for 2pt range and he hits the big shots when we need them.

PI that was not luck. The boy can shoot from half court. He did it after practice one time, took about 15-20 made about half of them. He said he’d like to try it in a game one time, but he knew it would give Bobby a heart attack. No Luck there. That is skill.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 03:30 PM [b] Everyone wants to bitch about his shot selection, but admit it, everytime it leaves his hands you think it is going in. I would much rather see him shooting threes then watch curtis fumble the ball out of bounds. His 3 point shooting against IU was bad for him, but still equates to 50% for 2pt range and he hits the big shots when we need them. [/b]
Yep, he drilled it in Alabama. He was, what, 1-4 on big shots in that game?

Jimmy, honestly, I look at Plavich’s feet when he shoots whether I think it will go in or not. When he manages to jump up, I think it’s going to go in. In the game last night he had a bunch of shots where his feet were going back in the course of the shot. That’s pretty bad shooting mechanics, and lowers the chance of it going in. When he’s open and set, he’s a hell of a shooter, prayer aside.

Plavich is the greatest shooter we’ve ever had.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 05:20 PM [b] Jimmy, honestly, I look at Plavich's feet when he shoots whether I think it will go in or not. When he manages to jump up, I think it's going to go in. In the game last night he had a bunch of shots where his feet were going back in the course of the shot. That's pretty bad shooting mechanics, and lowers the chance of it going in. When he's open and set, he's a hell of a shooter, prayer aside. [/b]
I agree NLP, when he's not square he usually misses. But the fact is I have more confidence with Plav shooting than anyone else on the team.

Jimmy,

What Indiana did at the end of the game mitigates the need for confidence in a shooter.
Bracey Wright may not have gotten a good shot off, but Ewing was there for the put back. We’ve been burned by that a couple times before in some high profile games. The one I remember most clearly is up at Chapel Hill where Brendan Haywood got the rebound on the weak side in OT and hit the put back to win the game.

Or how about last year’s ECU game? We only needed a deuced to send it to OT but Plavich shot the 3. Pandemonium ensues for Niner Nation when Big Cal dunks the rebound on a subsequent miss.

We almost got it right the first time against Alabama when Eddie drove it to the whole, but had it defended out of bounds. I think we would have been better off if we tried something like that again. Less chance of a long/hard rebound that you often get when shooting the three ball, and therefore higher chance at a put back.

Oh well, just my theory on last second shots. Of course, anything under a second and the length of the court to go, yes give it to Plavich.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Dec 23 2004, 03:38 PM [b] PI that was not luck. The boy can shoot from half court. He did it after practice one time, took about 15-20 made about half of them. He said he'd like to try it in a game one time, but he knew it would give Bobby a heart attack. No Luck there. That is skill. [/b]
Please.

You lost all credibility when you spent two years insisting that Butter Johnson was the best player on our team.

Handing out cups of water at practice does not make you an authority on anything.

[b]IMO, Kinch's dunk over Phil Hubbard in the Michigan game and Dinkins' basket against UAB to clinch the Sun Belt title were two best shots in 49er folklore.[/b]

Both being OT losses in the NCAA tourney drop these down some, but Jeff West’s 3 at the end of regulation to tie BYU in 1988 and Diego doing the same against UNC-Ch in 1998 were big time clutch.

Last night was fun though.

[b]Diego doing the same against UNC-Ch in 1998 were big time clutch.[/b]
I forgot about that one - you're right, that was clutch. A freshman at the time who (I believe) was 3 - 4 from behind the arc befor that shot.

Shanderic Downs’ 3 to beat Louisville at home in '94 (I think it was, maybe '93) was huge for the program. That was the #4 team in the country at the time and we took them down. Really put us on the map I thought.
-G-