Plavich

I do not understand the people,(49erpi, bobblinlutz, Powerbait) that complain about Plavich’s shooting, especially this year. He is obviously taking better shots than he was last year. What a few of you do not understand his Plavich is shooting 54.3%, (19-35) from three. Another player to get the same production from the inside the three would have to shoot 81.4%, (28.5-35) inside the arc. No one is even close to 81.4%. He is also leading the team in scoring. He, along with Mitch, has by far the best assist/turnover ratio. They have 14 assists 8 turnovers. Eddie has the most assists with 20, but he has 17 TOs. DON’T GET ME WRONG, EDDIE DOES ENOUGH FOR THE TEAM. He is also third in steals, one steal behind from being tied for second with Mitch (not saying he’s a better defender than Mitch). These are facts not opinions!

As far Curt , you all are making excuses. I do agree he should get the ball in the paint more(especially against Rutgers), not so much on the perimeter. Last year with Brendan taking some bad shots and Demon taking a whole lot of bad shots he still managed to get his. What’s the problem this year with Brendan taking better shots and no Demon. As far as scoring, this year’s team is alot more balanced. But what is keeping him from rebounding or finishing, is this Brendan, Leemire, and Lutz’s fault? I don’t belive so. Curt doesn’t seem to be as hungry as he was last year, but he’ll come around.

Enough of this negative talking, I can not wait to see the 49ers take the floor Saturday. I have a good feeling we are going to win!! I look for Curt to have a good game.

For the most part PB has been been kind to Plavich this year. I am not buying it so far but we’ll see. I agree with you about some of the criticism Plavich has are unfair. I was happy to see him only shoot 3 shots last night that I would call “bad.”

I’m just trying to be consistent. If Plav goes into one of those funks like he did last year and everyone is on the boards calling for him to STOP SHOOTING (you guys all remember that period of time last year), I don’t want to look like a hypocrite.

Here’s all I’m saying, and I’m not blaming it on Plavich at all. I just wish we would run a higher percentage of our offense through Curt Withers on the block, not at the top of the key. That’s it. That’s all.

I haven’t said anything about Plav that was untrue. A few times Wed night, Plav looked more like the Plav of last year than the more consistent Plav of the first few games. He DID in fact take a couple off-balanced 3-pt shots from deep. What I thought I had seen prior to that game was that he was getting more squared up and shooting w/ his body going towards the goal, not away from it. I’ll take that.

My beef, as I’ve said in other threads, is with Lutz. I think I understand where he’s going offensively, but don’t understand his motivations. Curtis Withers needs the ball down low. Period.

[i]Originally posted by charlotte49ers[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 12:05 AM [b] I do not understand the people,(49erpi, bobblinlutz, Powerbait) that complain about Plavich's shooting, especially this year. He is obviously taking better shots than he was last year. What a few of you do not understand his Plavich is shooting 54.3%, (19-35) from three. Another player to get the same production from the inside the three would have to shoot 81.4%, (28.5-35) inside the arc. No one is even close to 81.4%. He is also leading the team in scoring. He, along with Mitch, has by far the best assist/turnover ratio. They have 14 assists 8 turnovers. Eddie has the most assists with 20, but he has 17 TOs. DON'T GET ME WRONG, EDDIE DOES ENOUGH FOR THE TEAM. He is also third in steals, one steal behind from being tied for second with Mitch (not saying he's a better defender than Mitch). These are facts not opinions!

As far Curt , you all are making excuses. I do agree he should get the ball in the paint more(especially against Rutgers), not so much on the perimeter. Last year with Brendan taking some bad shots and Demon taking a whole lot of bad shots he still managed to get his. What’s the problem this year with Brendan taking better shots and no Demon. As far as scoring, this year’s team is alot more balanced. But what is keeping him from rebounding or finishing, is this Brendan, Leemire, and Lutz’s fault? I don’t belive so. Curt doesn’t seem to be as hungry as he was last year, but he’ll come around.

Enough of this negative talking, I can not wait to see the 49ers take the floor Saturday. I have a good feeling we are going to win!! I look for Curt to have a good game. [/b]

[b]These are facts not opinions![/b]

Here are a couple more facts:

He is shooting 28% from the free throw line and can’t guard anyone.

He has taken better shots this year but when he doesn’t, he is useless because he is a defensive liability.
If you like him as a player that is your opinion which you are entitled to, as am I. My opinion happens to be that he is a streak shooter that doesn’t give you much else on the floor. I hear he is a nice kid and I have nothing against him personally. I hope he goes 5-5 on saturday.

Many posters on this board would have criticized Micahel Jordan for starting his flying dunks above the foul line.

I really believe the players would respond more to encouragement than criticism. We have a good team with allot of good players that will continue to get stronger as the season progresses. Plavich is having a breakout season on offense and is playing good defense. Everyone seems to forget that he has a knack for being around the ball, has great hands, and can hit a shot from anywhere on the court.

Botom line with this team is that they are a TEAM. Any player can be the high scorer for any game. This makes us very hard to defend. An opponent cannot target their efforts to stop just one player. They have to play strong defense against the entire team to beat us.

Lighten up guys. Have some fun. I believe this is going to be a special season. Show the guys some love and encouragement.

[b]Lighten up guys. Have some fun. I believe this is going to be a special season. [/b]

Did you hear about the Rutgers game?

No, but seriously, I don’t boo at the games so unless they’re reading every one of my posts, then Plav has no idea that I have a problem with him shooting off-balance 25-footers. But I’m sure if he did, he wouldn’t care.

As PI said, I think he is a very nice guy. I was the one who started the controversy last year when I mentioned that I saw him at a bar, remember?

[b]My opinion happens to be that he is a streak shooter that doesn't give you much else on the floor. [/b]

I understand, and respect your opinion PI (although I don’t agree with it). He can be a liability when playing man defense, but so can Drayton.

Plavich’s fadeaways might not look like a good idea to us, but he is making them, and at a good percentage. If he is able to do that, doesn’t that make it a good shot for him?

Also, Plavich is 1st on the team in points, 2nd on the team in assists to turnover ratio, 2nd on the team in assists and 3rd on the team in steals (0.2 behind Baldwin). He hustles, leads, gets his teammates involved and if Eddie and Mitch are not in the passing lanes, he is. Could he be better? Yes, but right now he is not one of the weak links on this team.

The thing that has always amazed me about Plavich is that people seem to either love him or hate him. The same people what were praising him after LBS seem to be waiting for the chance to trash him again. On the flip side Plavich fans will point to games like Valpo has proof of Plavich’s strong play. This stuff about the free throw line is misleading. He has only 7 attempts from the line this year. I do believe that he will hit his free throws. My only concern with him has been that he isn’t a strong defender and is often guarding much more talented and quicker players. But that’s a coaching decision.

[b]Here are a couple more facts:

He is shooting 28% from the free throw line and can’t guard anyone.[/b]

Only one of those is a fact, PI. :wink: Brendan is not a ball hawk like Mitchell or Goldwire, but he does pretty good against most guys that are much quicker than he. The fact that he has 8 steals tells me he’s been doing something right on defense.

[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 10:35 AM [b]
[b]My opinion happens to be that he is a streak shooter that doesn't give you much else on the floor. [/b]

I understand, and respect your opinion PI (although I don’t agree with it). He can be a liability when playing man defense, but so can Drayton.

Plavich’s fadeaways might not look like a good idea to us, but he is making them, and at a good percentage. If he is able to do that, doesn’t that make it a good shot for him?

Also, Plavich is 1st on the team in points, 2nd on the team in assists to turnover ratio, 2nd on the team in assists and 3rd on the team in steals (0.2 behind Baldwin). He hustles, leads, gets his teammates involved and if Eddie and Mitch are not in the passing lanes, he is. Could he be better? Yes, but right now he is not one of the weak links on this team. [/b]

He’s third on the team in PPS (points per shot), which I’d say is about right for him.

It’s an intersting stat… he’s far ahead of whoever’s 4th on our team. Think he’s at about 1.6. Mitch leads at about 1.9 (transition baskets!) and, suprrisingly, Leemire is second at about 1.8.

He’s a nice weapon. I’m very happy with our backcourt scoring so far this year. They have some other things to work on, but they’re doing that very well.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate+Dec 3 2004, 10:57 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAdvocate @ Dec 3 2004, 10:57 AM)

without stirring up old arguments, mitch get’s most of his points in transition, which is an excellent weapon. He’s our first option there. In halfcourt, he slides behind some of the other guys like Curt & Plav.

It’s a good thing to have opportunistic players that can feed off the deficiencies of others. If your team is sloppy with the ball or getting back after a rebound/made shot, Mitch is going to eat you alive. That’s why I was trying my best to hound #5 Wednesday night at the half when he tried to backpeddle defend Mitch right before the half. Idiot, he got blown away. I think all of us should and are perfectly content with the type of offense Mitch provides, especially since so far he’s been steady with the jumper.

As someone else stated, BP is not a great on-the-ball defender. Neither is LeeMire… he can stay with pretty much anyone, but he takes silly stabs at the steal in the backcourt, and subsequently gets burned when he misses. BP gets his steals by jumping the passing lanes. Boy can flat out hawk the passing lanes.

Really I think this thread was a borderline paranoia thread that never should have been started to begin with. Go Plav, Go Mitch, Go Niners.

I agree, BP is an outstanding ball hawk, but a pretty lousy on the ball defender. He’s slower and shorter than most of the guys he defends and it gets him burned a lot on rotations.

He does hustle though, and the weight loss has helped a lot. He’s also playing a lot smarter. Still taking some crazy shots, but this year they are dropping when they were not even close last year. I just hope that if he starts missing those poor shots, he’ll stop taking them. Lutz pulling him after a bad play was refreshing too, I need to see that in games. Players need to earn their minutes.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 01:16 AM [b] I was happy to see him only shoot 3 shots last night that I would call "bad." [/b]
3 bad shots are still 3 too many. But, I don't begrudge him for taking them. I understand that sometimes what looks like a good shot to a player isn't anything close to one. Plus, sometimes players just don't think before pulling the trigger. It's rare for even the best player to not take one bad shot.

Plav has slowed down his trigger finger, that’s all I really wanted from him. I am happy with the other production from him. I hate seeing him get abused on D, but I do like seeing him fight to get back. Just so long as he keeps taking smart shots, he will finish shooting at an amazing clip, he proved to me last year that when he plays smart, he’s a great shooter. It just took him a season to learn how to play smart in Lutz’ system.

He lost games for us last year, by playing poorly on both ends of the court. He’s more than making up for his defense deficencies this year by not turning over the ball (with poor shots, passes and selfish play). You can tell that he wants to take more shots than he does, but he’s reigning in that attitude this year, and (while some of the things he does drive me crazy) it’s certainly made our team much better.

If he keeps up the smart play, we are 10x better than we were last year. Just because he’s minimizing long rebounds and scoring points at a higher clip. I wish Curt would get into the game more, he looks asleep to me and when he does get position he gets ignored. We need to establish his presence early, but that’s a problem with a balanced offense, when one weapon gets hot, you don’t want to waste it, but you still need to keep the other weapons ready for when one cools off.

Curt’s in a slump and we are still winning, we can only hope he wakes up against Bama. If we play to our full potential, we could roll over a team like Bama. If we play rusty and sloppy like we have been, we will lose or have a tight game. This team has all the weapons to go deep and make serious noise. That doesn’t mean it will, we’ll just have to wait and see.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 07:21 PM [b] He lost games for us last year, by playing poorly on both ends of the court. [/b]
I disagree. He contributed to some losses but he didn't lose the game for us. We lost the game as a team. Just like he didn't win the games when he scored 30 points. We won as a team.
[i]Originally posted by switchfoot+Dec 3 2004, 06:24 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (switchfoot @ Dec 3 2004, 06:24 PM)

I am sure he’s thrilled to have your approval…haha just playing!

GO NINERS!