Please proofread, before I hit send!

Chancellor Dubois,

You have continually stated that you are against the thought of changing the name of our University, referring to the ‘prestige’ of the University of North Carolina system.

However, time and time again, evidence arises that rather than the University of North Carolina name adding prestige to our University, we are adding prestige to the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill at our own expense. This list, compiled by Education Portal, lists the 100 largest American colleges and universities which offer degrees in any discipline of engineering. Towards the bottom of the list, at #98, is “The University of North Carolina… College of Engineering… Charlotte, NC… 21,519”

Is this course of action, where we have no name of our own, really what is ‘best’ for our University? I truly do understand your belief in the University system, and your experience with the University of California. The difference, however, is that the University of California has never had a true flagship university which brands itself strictly as “The University of California.” Even on the East Coast, where many of us are oblivious to all that goes on four hours behind us, the flagship is most commonly referred to as “UC Berkeley”. No matter what is stated on the official seal, when is the last time you heard UNC - Chapel Hill referred to by the media as anything other than “The University of North Carolina.”

Every day, our stubbornness and the false hope that one day the University of North Carolina system will have the same equality as the University of California system drives our fine University deeper and deeper into the depths of irreparable misnomer and obscurity.

Chancellor, the time has come. It is time for us to allow ourselves to stand on our own too feet, rather than hunched over under the ceiling of another school’s name.

Thank you for your time,
Lewis Morgan
UNC Charlotte c/o 2012
President, AIGA UNC Charlotte
mlmorgan@uncc.edu

P.S. Here is the link to the website that I mentioned: http://education-portal.com/top_100_engineering_schools.html

Our ‘name’ appears about halfway down the page.

two feet.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;429770]two feet.[/QUOTE]

thanks.

Anything else?

three hours behind

it should be noted that the schools are ranked solely by enrollment, and the emphasis on #98 should be diminished.

[QUOTE=itsbraille49;429775]it should be noted that the schools are ranked solely by enrollment, and the emphasis on #98 should be diminished.[/QUOTE]

The sole reason I put that in there is so that he actually looks at it, rather than looking through the list and saying ‘Oh, I don’t see it… he must have made it up.’

You need to cc it to the Board of Trustees, Erskine Bowles, Alumni Association, etc.

You need to cc it to the Board of Trustees, Erskine Bowles, Alumni Association, etc.
Agree.

Love the initiative, Lew. Hope more people will follow suit and help the campaign.

I’m not that familiar with the California system, but is UC-Berkeley really the flagship campus? What about the university commonly referred to as “Cal”?

We need to turn this into a petition.

may want to include one other example so it is harder for him to claim it as an aberration

I'm not that familiar with the California system, but is UC-Berkeley really the flagship campus? What about the university commonly referred to as "Cal"?
Is this a joke?
I'm not that familiar with the California system, but is UC-Berkeley really the flagship campus? What about the university commonly referred to as "Cal"?
Yes, it is the flagship, and the school known as "Cal" (or "California) is "California at Berleley". Same school.

Not ony are they in the PAC 10, but the school has a high academic rating too.

[QUOTE=77grad;429785]I’m not that familiar with the California system, but is UC-Berkeley really the flagship campus? What about the university commonly referred to as “Cal”?[/QUOTE]

Aren’t they the same school?

may want to include one other example so it is harder for him to claim it as an aberration
Just link him to the NCL lol.
Is this a joke?
No. I just looked at the website, and see that Berkeley IS known as Cal.

Like I said, I’m not familiar with their system, but it may not be the best example to cite. In news articles, they are generally referred to as “Berkeley”, while in athletics they are called “Cal”.

Kind of runs counter to what he is trying to point out to CHP, doesn’t it?

Looks good. Do you want it to be justa suggestion o give attention or direct in a certain way? I have toyed with writing a letter that points out similar confusions, but to suggest we, at the very least, look at rebranding our name. Like Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech. In advertisements and everything other than our diplomas, we need to ditch the “North Carolina of”. Brand ourselves as the University of Charlotte. Just wondering if he would consider it more with your input on a direction. I really think the direction to go is rebranding, not name change. It is the most likely solution that we could agree on.

No. I just looked at the website, and see that Berkeley IS known as Cal.

Like I said, I’m not familiar with their system, but it may not be the best example to cite. In news articles, they are generally referred to as “Berkeley”, while in athletics they are called “Cal”.

Kind of runs counter to what he is trying to point out to CHP, doesn’t it?

I see what you are saying, but no, I think the point still holds true.

but it may not be the best example to cite.
I agree with this.
I really think the direction to go is rebranding, not name change.
I really, really have to disagree. If we simply rebrand ourselves, anyone who wants to call us UNCC, UNC-C, and whatever else we are called now will still be right. We will still have confusion, we will still have a slave name. It will work but it would be another half assed solution to this problem. If we actually change the name, it will be a much bigger news story so people will actually be aware of the chance and people will be FORCED to call us by the correct name. VT is a bad example too because they weren't being confused with anyone by being called VPI.
It is the most likely solution that we could agree on.
We need to shoot for the best solution to the problem, not the compromise. If we had to settle for a compromise, we can settle for a simple rebranding.