Please read... do not get us in trouble

To those who participate on social networking sites, including NinerNation.net, please read the following request. While I may disagree with the rules, I understand the intent of the rules.

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Green]Boosters and fans have always been prohibited from recruiting, or attempting to recruit, prospective student-athletes. There are many Internet websites and social networking programs that allow forms of communication between people, including Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and others. It is VERY important to remember that the same prohibition on boosters and fans recruiting prospective student-athletes applies to online communication as well. If you are a booster or a fan of Charlotte 49ers Athletics, we ask that you refrain from contacting prospective student-athletes (9th grade or above) regarding anything about the university, including through social networking websites such as Facebook. Even a comment such as “49ers are great, you’d love it here!”, when posted by a Charlotte 49ers booster or fan on a prospective-student athlete’s social networking page, could possibly prove troublesome. Please refrain from contacting any prospective student-athlete about the Charlotte 49ers if you are a booster or fan, including through social networking websites and programs. Remember any communication via message boards, chat rooms, walls, comments, blogs, IM, etc. is not permissible. The Charlotte 49ers appreciates and values your support for49ers Athletics.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is an article you should read for reference: [URL=http://www.technicianonline.com/sports/facebook-you-have-one-ncaa-violation-1.1647898][B][U]Facebook: you have one NCAA violation[/U][/B][/URL], The Technician

If you have any questions regarding NCAA rules, contact Chris Thomasson at [B][U]cmthoma1@uncc.edu[/U][/B].

:49ers:

Excellent post.

There are times when the other Mods and I get concerned that we’re crossing the line here (myself included). Rule of thumb - if you have to ask, do so, but until then, assume the contact is a no-no. I’d hate to hurt the program because we got a little too excited about recruiting.

Thanks.

How do they regulate this, what if I made a Facebook page with a bogus name and had Xavier stuff all over it, then went to a recruits page and told him to go to X over and over, wouldn’t X get in trouble for something I did…

I would say that a general interpretation is that you may accept them as a friend/follower should they request it, but you should not have contact with them. Sort of defeats the entire purpose, doesn’t it.

[QUOTE=EE9er;420263]How do they regulate this, what if I made a Facebook page with a bogus name and had Xavier stuff all over it, then went to a recruits page and told him to go to X over and over, wouldn’t X get in trouble for something I did…[/QUOTE]
I asked that same question about the monitoring of many high school athletes, and even those who are in college. I guess Big Brother can eventually discover the answers.

How do they regulate this, what if I made a Facebook page with a bogus name and had Xavier stuff all over it, then went to a recruits page and told him to go to X over and over, wouldn't X get in trouble for something I did.....

I think that we should do this.

I saw somebody @ reply to Guyn and could sense the AD getting antsy about it. Its such a thin line.

The basic rule of thumb is don’t contact the recruit, at all, let the reporters answer your questions and let the coaches recruit him.

Boosters can’t say hey on facebook, but they can get the recruits jobs?

Gotta love the NCAA…

[QUOTE=J Felt;420274]I saw somebody @ reply to Guyn and could sense the AD getting antsy about it. Its such a thin line.

The basic rule of thumb is don’t contact the recruit, at all, let the reporters answer your questions and let the coaches recruit him.[/QUOTE]

May have been me but I doubt the AD got antsy about it because I don’t count them in my followers and the tweet was as harmless as could be (opens self up to barrage of criticism).

The fact is that the NCAA just can’t enforce these rules because it’s going on EVERYWHERE. If you look up other HS prospects (such as future Tar Hole Kendall Marshall) on twitter and then search for their @replies you’ll see plenty of “glad you’re coming here” type messages.

Now, while I agree that it should be discouraged and I would never make a habit of it, sometimes I think we get a bit paranoid around these parts because we have this 49er fan mentality that the NCAA is out to get us (they’re not).

I’m in the middle arn and just the messenger. I was asked to post the information and I did so.

This at the moment would be a secondary violation, most often self-reported by a university. What could the punishment be? Perhaps no longer recruiting Player X. How would that make you feel?

We can’t worry about what goes on elsewhere. We can keep it clean at Charlotte. At the extreme end, I’d hate to see a good 49er fan banned from athletic events due to stupid rule breaking.

[QUOTE=HP49er;420318]I’m in the middle arn and just the messenger. I was asked to post the information and I did so.

This at the moment would be a secondary violation, most often self-reported by a university. What could the punishment be? Perhaps no longer recruiting Player X. How would that make you feel?

We can’t worry about what goes on elsewhere. We can keep it clean at Charlotte. At the extreme end, I’d hate to see a good 49er fan banned from athletic events due to stupid rule breaking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it’s something I’ll personally refrain from doing in the future because the AD has requested it. That said, I personally think that self-reporting such a violation would be a little too honest.

So on here it IS okay to say stuff I would like to say to a recruit all I want, right? Just can’t say it at a location or in a form that is associated with or dedicated to him/her, right?

If said recruit comes on here saying he is interested and asking us about school, are we just supposed to ignore him? (haha)

So on here it IS okay to say stuff I would like to say to a recruit all I want, right? Just can't say it at a location or in a form that is associated with or dedicated to him/her, right?

If said recruit comes on here saying he is interested and asking us about school, are we just supposed to ignore him? (haha)

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Green] Remember any communication via message boards, chat rooms, walls, comments, blogs, IM, etc. is not permissible. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

just for clarification…even if a recruit initiates the contact with you? like a recruit sending you a message on facebook or something similar

just for clarification....even if a recruit initiates the contact with you? like a recruit sending you a message on facebook or something similar

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Green] Remember any communication via message boards, chat rooms, walls, comments, blogs, IM, etc. is not permissible.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

You guys need to read HP’s post a little more carefully. If you are familiar with Facebook at all it should be obvious that “walls” and “comments” are referring specifically to that service.

Simple rule of thumb: Just avoid any and all interaction with recruits until they’re officially Niners. Pretty cut and dry.

what recruit is going to initiate contact anyway? Unless they are a friend (real friend, not a facebook friend), there is no reason they’d be sending you a message without receiving one first.

For some reason, I think no contact will have to be explained 234723948273947238947 more times though.

what recruit is going to initiate contact anyway? Unless they are a friend (real friend, not a facebook friend), there is no reason they'd be sending you a message without receiving one first.
Ive had it happen, which is why I asked.

You can comment on a prospect, post stories, point out how he can help the program, why you think the school is a good fit, etc. You just can’t direct the communication to or at the player. That’s my understanding.

One question: Does the rule change once the Letter of Intent is signed?

Let’s get used to this concept folks. In a few years our “talked about” recruits will go from about 15 now to 15+68!