Point about Money

From the Charlotte Observer: [URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15912871.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15912871.htm[/URL]

Wachovia continues UVA sponsorship

RICK ROTHACKER

[U][COLOR=#0000ff]rrothacker@charlotteobserver.com[/COLOR][/U]

Wachovia Corp. will remain a sponsor of the University of Virginia athletics department through the 2012-2013 academic year. The seven-year agreement announced this week includes placing the Charlotte bank’s brand on the school’s new John Paul Jones Arena.
The pact extends a 2003 agreement that made Wachovia the “exclusive financial services partner” of Virginia athletics. Terms were not disclosed.
Wachovia last year became the first corporate sponsor to hang permanent signs inside UNC Chapel Hill’s Dean E. Smith Center.

Really, what the hell are we doing?

[QUOTE=ninerID;196098]Really, what the hell are we doing?[/QUOTE]

Banks dont typically initiate new marketing campaigns (i.e. sponsorhsip dollars) in stronghold areas (unless they are fighting off a new entrant). If you want a hungry sponsor, get a new market entrant. I have absolutely no inside information on this, but common sense says that’s why we were able to land RBC Centura for the scoreboard deal. They have had very low visibility here.

Isn’t WAMU trying to get in on the ground floor for retail banking here? What’s CitiGroup’s advertising budget in the Charlotte Metro area about?

Then you have mom & pop banks like First Citizens which is family owned, and for some reason, I cant think of anyone they sponsor.

Also, realize that the RBC deal probably pissed Wachovia off. It’s like trying to date two girls at the same time. So maybe banking isnt the way to go anyway. Would probably be better to find a major industry that we’re getting $0 from now and target the hell out of them - that’s why the Lowe’s angle is nice. I wish we could target the big box retailers too - Costco, Sam’s, BJ’s etc.

Lowes is already doing some heavy advertising with one basketball team in Charlotte. It’s some team called the Bobcats.

I went to the opening game last night and they gave out free tee shirts with LOWES name on the back of them. Then , during the game, they kept showing Lowes’ name on the row of advertising that circles the arena.

If they realize the NINERS offer a completely new and different market, they just may be interested.

Also, I recently noticed Lowes has 49er gift cards available, so they have to be in touch with someone at the school, if nothing but for naming rights.

The people at the Niner’s games have money at least. And I bought one of those gift cards for my mom for mothers day… with $49 on it. :slight_smile: