Poll: Major milestones - timeline of events

I think this is realistic.

-Resolve funding inequities/current academic goals in 2 years
-Start football in 5 years
-Change name to University of Charlotte in 20 years

We can’t tackle all at once and I think we need buy-in from the Charlotte community to change the name. The other two, plus continuing to build on the research and business venture front will get us to that point.

This is what I believe we need to be fighting for. Fighting for the Administrators to consider such a plan. If this was in place, would everyone be on board? If something like this would be laid out, I think there would be an incredible amount of enthusiasm among Alumni, students and the community.

Edit: Probably shouldn’t have used “ideal plan” for option 1. More like “Workable plan”. Anyways, mods if you can change it, please do so.

Assuming this plan can happen…

I think that is good. I dont think it should take 20 years to get a name change though. I don’t like the “UNC Funding” excuse for no football, but i think 2 years is enough to kill that. Give Dubois and David Dunn 2 years to get that fixed, fine, but after that you need to start rearranging your priorties.

Dubois said himself the other schools at the bottom with us are ECU (football) and App St. (football).

Also, do you mean HAVE football in 5 years or begin LOOKING at it in 5 years?

While all three can’t take place at once the footwork can. David Dunn is our “representative” to bring more funding. Give Judy the green light to go look at football. and then do a serious “branding” study on the name change.

Actually start playing in 5 years. I talked to David before the NT game. We discussed the branding study, name change and state funding issues. He gave me the scenario of him sitting down with the state legislators and them asking what he needs. Well, we need the millions owed by the State system for being a research institution and we need $$$ more per student AND, by the way, we also want to change our name to U of Charlotte. I think we should save that fight for later.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;200133]Actually start playing in 5 years. I talked to David before the NT game. We discussed the branding study, name change and state funding issues. He gave me the scenario of him sitting down with the state legislators and them asking what he needs. Well, we need the millions owed by the State system for being a research institution and we need $$$ more per student AND, by the way, we also want to change our name to U of Charlotte. I think we should save that fight for later.[/QUOTE]

Lefty, is David Dunn saying that he thinks we’ll be playing football in five years?

[QUOTE=upstate49er;200134]Lefty, is David Dunn saying that he thinks we’ll be playing football in five years?[/QUOTE]

No. That is my “plan”. We only discussed the branding study, name change, and funding issues.

“we” want to be U of Charlotte as in David dunn, Dubois, and the rest of the school?

Changing our name in 20 years makes no sense. Either we change it now or we forget about it. The longer we are UNCC the harder it will be to change the name for alumni and the community. If we are still UNCC in 20 years we will always be UNCC.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;200138]Changing our name in 20 years makes no sense. Either we change it now or we forget about it. The longer we are UNCC the harder it will be to change the name for alumni and the community. If we are still UNCC in 20 years we will always be UNCC.[/QUOTE]

The 20 years is something I just threw out. It did not come from anyone within the administration. Based on everything we’ve read, it’s not something UNCC adminstration wants to take on at this point.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;200140]The 20 years is something I just threw out. It did not come from anyone within the administration. Based on everything we’ve read, it’s not something UNCC adminstration wants to take on at this point.[/QUOTE]

It just seems that if we wait 20 years to change our name will be faced with a new challenge of getting people to accept it. I am assuming that in 20 years the confusion between us and our UNC brethren will continue to fall. I mean it makes no sense for UCLA to decide to change a name now because everyone knows who UCLA is.

Football in 5 years sounds awesome to me!

I think this is realistic.

-Resolve funding inequities/current academic goals in 2 years
-Start football in 5 years
-Change name to University of Charlotte in 20 years

We can’t tackle all at once and I think we need buy-in from the Charlotte community to change the name. The other two, plus continuing to build on the research and business venture front will get us to that point.

This is what I believe we need to be fighting for. Fighting for the Administrators to consider such a plan. If this was in place, would everyone be on board? If something like this would be laid out, I think there would be an incredible amount of enthusiasm among Alumni, students and the community.

Edit: Probably shouldn’t have used “ideal plan” for option 1. More like “Workable plan”. Anyways, mods if you can change it, please do so.

Assuming this plan can happen…

2 years for full funding is reasonable with the new law kicking in soon for out-of-state scholarships.

5 years is a reasonable date for football. I can wait for football as long as I know it’s off the backburner and going to become a reality

20 years for a name change should be omitted from the poll. I don’t know why you included that. If any school wanted to change its name, it can do so rather quickly. Please don’t present that option to the administration.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;200138]Changing our name in 20 years makes no sense. Either we change it now or we forget about it. The longer we are UNCC the harder it will be to change the name for alumni and the community. If we are still UNCC in 20 years we will always be UNCC.[/QUOTE]

I agree…do it now or not at all…waiting to do it will only add to the confusion once it is done!

Besides…our chancellor does not want to inch [B]towards[/B] fixing the name. He wants to inch [B]away[/B] from fixing the name.