Poll: # of Football Stadium seats after expansion?

How many seats do you want the football stadium expanded to after this next expansion?

0 voters

If the original plans are a true option for expansion, I believe 27,500 could be an option? If so, that would probably be my vote.

Bump… 30k leading the way so far with 40%

Doesn’t matter until they vote with their checkbook.

1 Like

Nah, gonna take much much more than our check books

would not be surprised if the unc system is working against us again

Can you redo the poll and have “no expansion” as an option? The reason I ask is because some of the comments in the other thread read as if they believe there’s a large # against expansion. I don’t believe the issue is whether or not to expand, but rather how much to expand.

Since we don’t fill up Halton every game we should move back to Belk Gym.

This thread in a nutshell.

1 Like

Perfect.

You just responded in the manner I was referring to. I don’t think there are very many who believe we shouldn’t expand at all. The debate is how big should the expansion be.

No, what you are saying is a strawman argument. It’s a passive aggressive dismissal of very valid points about why we shouldn’t settle for a half-assed expansion.

I pointed out a flaw in the basis of the logic you and others are employing.

If you are basing what the correct size of our stadium is on current attendance during Covid, current program status, etc, then your logic dictates that there is no reason for FAU or UTSA to improve their facilities, and likewise, Halton is more than sufficient. In fact, Belk would be a better fit.

But back to half assed expansions. People thinking like you are why ODU didn’t get invited to the AAC. They only built half of the expanded stadium they advertised to donors / season ticket holders. At this point, it’s highly questionable whether they will ever build the 2nd stage of their expansion plan. Which is a shame, because it would make their stadium look and feel like a proper FBS stadium.

They didn’t build all of this. Shame.

I don’t want to make the same mistake ODU did. That’s what you and some others are advocating.

My GF and I are having this expansion argument as well. I say the current situation is fine. She wants an expansion.

Geez, a difference in opinion means passive aggressive and strawman? Mmm, ok. I don’t know how more aggressively you would like for me to say that I think 35k is too big. lol. Your Halton analogy is flawed because Halton is already built. If you believe Halton was built with today’s crowds in mind, you’re lying to yourself.

In regards to strawman, the argument for smaller than 35k isn’t anymore strawman than the argument for 35k. You’re kidding yourself if you think you know what our attendance figures will be in the future. Trust me, I want to believe you’re correct. I would like for nothing more than for Healy to make us a top 30 program and for the ticket demand to out weigh the supply. But I’m not sure what out of the past 2 decades (18 of which without Covid) of Niner fandom gives you this confidence. We beat our first P5 program this season, an in state one at that. The attendance for the next home game actually dropped.

I also believe that an empty stadium is used against a program just as much, if not more than a small stadium is used. If that’s not the case, then why are stadiums traditionally expanded gradually over time? Why not make every stadium 100k and be done with it? Because stadium expansion is speculative at best, and there is a reasonable number that is determined for the near future. Again, if we go the 35k route, I hope I’m wrong about my speculation.

And you’re wrong about ODU. The stadium may have been a small factor. But the larger factor is that the AD wanted to stay in a more regional conference and quite frankly the fanbase seemed to rally behind that as well.

Man, sorry, I am not buying anything you are saying.

I do not want to repeat ODUs mistake.

It’s really that simple.

I agree with your point but at least ODU did something with their stadium instead being silent for years and subverting the issue.

2 Likes

Not sure stadium size was ODU’s Achille’s Heel for getting into the AAC. It might have played a tangential part because of costs and ODU not feeling they could commit to raising their budget after financing a stadium build.

That said, they paid for demo, and basically a new stadium build after that and only got to $29.5M for 22k seats. We wouldn’t need to pay anywhere near that to add 10k or 15k or even 20k to our stadium.

Yet the Draft AFMP (at 15k addition Phase I) has us paying $65M for that 15k?

I suspect “amenities” vs seat numbers isn’t an issue for us.

2 Likes

clt says the Rich is going to be NICE

Well, the good news is, we can’t make ODU’s “mistake”, we’re already in the AAC. :grinning:

To me the biggest thing with seat capacity are just the demographics that attendance is trending down and young people and students are less interested in football and sports than previous generations. I’m less concerned about having what is perceived as a smaller stadium if it’s a really nice stadium. That is 3/4 full for all games and full for big ones.

3 Likes

UNC chapel hill cut seating a few years back didn’t they? To go smaller but nicer?

Whatever we do let’s keep it nice and don’t get into so much debt we kneecap the department.