Positives from last night

Quick note for this thread, if you want to piss and moan about last night, bash other posters etc. there are about 6 other threads you can do that in, leave this one for those of us who are the glass is half full kinda people.

First, Iti, MONSTER game for the big man. He has really gotten better as the year has gone on and surprised a lot of people, even me. He still needs another year here and I hope we get it, but he’s playing very well and is a valuable person on this team.

Leemire. Nice to see a Freshmen show up as he has. If he can learn to run the point for us soon he’ll supplant Mitch in as our PG. Mitch has disappeared, I’m not sure why.

We won! We went out to the west coast after a long layoff and won against a team that doesn’t seem to be as bad as people think. None of us saw the game so I think we can trust Lutz when he says they are better than their record. And no doubt they were up for this game.

Let’s win tonight in a BIG way.

GO NINERS!!

i like the positives… i like it a lot

I absolutely agree. Many positives and we won for crying out loud!

goldwire is going to be a very good player. mayber he is the guard we have needed since colson.

withers stats looked ok too. as did Iti.

Defensive stats no too good. Yale shot 49%. Ouch.

Goldwire is hitting some nice shots. He’s quick, can handle the ball well, and reminds me a lot of Demon.

Iti got a double double. Improving in time for conference play.

A win is a win. I look at it like golf, its not how, its how many.

Big positive: 18 and 10 with 3 blocks

Sounds like we went to Iti and Withers a good bit.

I agree about Goldwire. He’s really coming on strong. He hit some huge shots based on the write-up on charlotte49ers.com game story. Still would like to see the assists go up for our PG committee.

Plavich didn’t take as many threes in the second half based on the box score.

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:13 AM [b] Goldwire is hitting some nice shots. He's quick, can handle the ball well, and reminds me a lot of Demon.

Iti got a double double. Improving in time for conference play. [/b]

:thumbsup: Now give me my glasses back. :smiley:

They stormed back several times, and we HIT FREE THROWS and made plays to seal it. That is so refreshing :smiley:

Of course, I didn’t see it, but I’m guessing we played some zone and junk defenses to counter that big man (D. Martin) that Lutz praised pre-game. His stat line was good, but he wasn’t scoring for the first part of the game. Only problem is that we seem to give up perimeter looks with those defenses. Here’s hoping we get to play some man to man tonight.

I’ll take the W though. Survive and advance.

Iti is the man. He’s going to be a beast in conference play I feel. He couldn’t have sucked any harder last year but I think it was a blessing in disguise. Had he been half as good as he thought he was, he may be riding the pine this season in the NBA. As long as he stays out of foul trouble, he has the potential to play every game as he did last night. We get that kind of output from him consistently and we’ll give teams fits in the paint.

Goldwire has a ton of potential. I really like what he brings to this team and he can be one of those guys that steps up big on nights when someone has an off night.

Ugly win against a team we were supposed to beat. I’ll take it and despite the opposition, you can’t really complain about a 5 game winning streak (7 of last 8 as well). Just need to close it out tonight with another win before starting conference play because we’re going to be really tested in January.

Hitting the key free throws down the stretch. Definitely a confidence builder for some of our guys that will come in handy during Conference play.

Nothing like falling asleep to the sound of Bobby on the post game interview…SWEET DREAMS!

Yeah, I was very impressed by Iti and Goldwire last night. Also very nice to see us hit FTs when the game depeded on it. Maybe our FT curse is finally gone. Decent game out of Withers although he didn’t get as many looks as I would like to see. Yale sounded better than I expected (certainly better than a 2-7 team)… maybe they can win a big game somewhere to help the ole RPI out.

Also our RPI jumped quite a bit with this win.
kenpom - 106

When Yale, Davidson, et al, hit conference play and start putting togethers olid records, I expect this # to climb in addition to whatever our CUSA games do to it.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:48 AM [b] When Yale, Davidson, et al, hit conference play and start putting togethers olid records, I expect this # to climb in addition to whatever our CUSA games do to it. [/b]
Yeah, I expect a steady climb over the next 4-6 weeks or so if we can win the games we should and maybe a couple we shouldn't. I just didn't expect that big of a jump (40-50 spots) with a win over Yale... I guess it is still kind of early and things are still kind of balancing out. Looking through the rankings there are still some bad teams (even with losing records) in front of us.
[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:48 AM [b] When Yale, Davidson, et al, hit conference play and start putting togethers olid records, I expect this # to climb in addition to whatever our CUSA games do to it. [/b]
Several Big 10 teams have VERY solid RPI's so hopefully that despite Indiana being down, that win can come back to help us some later as well.

In a 6 point win where we were only up by 2 with less than a minute, it’s
FTs, FTs, FTs!!! WHOOP!! THERE IT IS!!! If we had shot 38 to 50%, we’d have lost.